Skip to main content

I'm having HORRIBLE problems importing my Listing Descriptions - copying from Word and then pasting into the Auctiva Description Editor.

When I do, all of the fonts, fonts sizes, formatting, etc. is changed and it's almost impossible to clean up to look like the original created in Word.

I've been using & doing this successfully for more than 2 years and have just now started to have problems. I contacted Auctiva Support and they replied:

"When you create listings in Auctiva, our description editor functions properly with HTML code which uses it's formatting tools, not the code from sources outside of the editor. When you copy & paste from the internet or programs outside of Auctiva, you introduce 'Foreign' code into our editor, and it interprets where and what it 'thinks' it should do with that code. To resolve this issue with our new text editor we recommend manually inputting your description in the Auctiva editor and adding formatting after the description has been complete."

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I cannot believe that anyone would be stupid enough to change or alter a successful and proven feature to something like this.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We didn't 'change or alter a successful and proven feature'.

HTML editors in general cause problems when you copy from MS Word and paste it in to the HTML editor. The reason for this is that MS-Word generates non-displayed Microsoft specific formatting characters that conflict our HTML/text editor (or most anyone else's. Just try pasting text created in MS-Word into Google's Blogger text editor and see what happens. Hint: Google's editor gets confused by the Word control characters in a manner very really similar to what happens when you paste text created in MS-Word into our editor.)

If you are going to create text in Word, you should first save it out as a .TXT (text) file, then open that file in Notepad and then copy into our editor. That will strip out all the offending Word-specific formatting that messes up the HTML editor.

Our editor is not broke. Don't paste text from Word into it and it will work much better.
That it works at all in the Auctiva editor is surprising. It just depends on what the text and control characters are in Word. Some are OK in the editor but many are not. Knowing this, we've always advised people not to create descriptions in Word and paste them into the editor. There have been numerous posts about that in the forums over the past 2-3 years.

Re the eBay editor, that is proprietary code to them, so we don't know how it works. However, I would bet that it will have problems with MS-Word created descriptions too under some circumstances.
TheMojoMarket.

I am not sure this will work but you may try these two suggestions?

(Tony hope I am not overstepping my bounds here, but know the frustration of having to re-do listings)

Suggestion 1. Go to the listing. On top row of edit box go to about middle of row you will see binoculars, 2 icons past the binocular there is a box that if you go over it says "SELECT ALL" it looks like a little picture frame. Click on that. It will then grey in the entire listing. Right next to that is a little eraser like a chalkboard eraser. Click that it should strip the listing to all small font. You may be able to then go in and re-font or color, etc., it to how you want it to look. Just a thought and may or may not work.

A sort of side note: Sometimes in order not to mess up my listing I open it and do nothing to it, except click SAVE AS NEW at bottom. It then starts you on a new listing which you can experiment with without messing up your original. (when you are done if you like it you can delete the first one)

Suggestion 2. Why don't you try cutting and pasting them into notepad which should strip them, (I think). A friend did that with hers and it worked. I have not done it as I type directly in auctiva. To be safe I would paste in description and then do above step with "select all" and eraser before editing it.

Just two thoughts and may or may not work but will sure not take much time to try it.

Good luck and hope one of these will work for you.

Vickie

http://stores.ebay.com/VICKIES-VARIETY
Last edited by lookandbuyme

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.