Skip to main content

I've been listing a lot of books on e-bay. I put the ISBN in the product search and it gives me everything I need including photo. Now, all of a sudden, the search does not work. It reads that catalog search is not possible in that category. If I can't use this feature anymore, I had just as well get rid of Auctiva altogether. Up until now, I have loved it. What is the problem?
CHIP SPEIGHT
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello All -

At present there is a known issue with product searches using ISBN as a result of some changes on eBay in the way that such searches are filtered. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are looking into a resolution, but at present we have no ETA on when that may become available.

I will update this thread with more information as it becomes available. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

- Craig
Hi - I opened a case with support about this several days ago and they are still working on it. I sell mostly media items - about 95% of my listings -- and I have used Auctiva very successfully and happily for about 10 years - until now. I have not been able to work with my saved listings, nor create new ones, for over a week at this point. My business is at a standstill while I wait for Auctiva's fix on this. I would like to hear from others who sell in these affected categories.

We all knew Ebay was changing several category numbers this month and I wrote to Auctiva support about 6 weeks ago concerning this upcoming change and how it would affect our new listing as well as editing ability of saved listings here. All they told me at the time was that they would be fully integrated with eBay when it rolled-out the changes but at the time, could tell me nothing.

Unfortunately they are not integrated at all now. The Auctiva software engineers did not seem to anticipate this well at all (exactly what I was hoping to avoid by calling it to their attention several weeks ago.) The program should recognize the old category number in saved listings and be programmed to change the number, not to treat it as if it is a brand new category. That is causing a host of problems.

Anyone selling in any category that has received a new number by eBay has to deal with this. It especially affects your saved work. Saved listings are completely useless now unless you are choose the category all over again because Auctiva "thinks" its new (but only its number is different). When you choose the "new" category, it wipes out all your item specifics that you had in place, because you then have to resubmit the ISBN or UPC to find the product. So you cannot re-submit your saved listings if you want to, without going to a lot of time-consuming work.

To complicate matters, you cannot create new listings either, because - just as the OP said - an error message is returned saying the category chosen isn't supported in the eBay catalog. The error message is incorrect. Non-fiction books are in the eBay catalog, as are children's books, and literature, etc.

Of course, we are soon to be required to list with product identifiers, such as ISBNs. This further complicates the known issue by creating a huge time crunch on the fix. The irony is that most media sellers have been using product identifiers for a long time by choosing them through the Auctiva system that used to work perfectly for this very thing until now.

The "work around" I was given was to go ahead and create a listing without choosing a product, since we are getting a bogus error message, then go directly to eBay and revise the listing by adding the specific product there. Seriously? That is not a work-around. It is triple the work for each listing. This is not a viable plan for any seller with hundreds of items.

I would be interested in hearing from others experiencing the same problems with creating or working with saved listings whose category numbers have just changed. Have you found any solution? Are you considering dropping Auctiva and finding other listing solutions?

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts.
I've filed the same issue with support and received the same suggestions. To list any book I would normally have listed in fiction or non-fiction and get it to pass validation I would have to purposely list it in the wrong subcategory Textbooks or Magazines. This has been going on for a week now. Far as I can tell other programs are not having this problem.
I can't settle for TurboLister but I am trying out another platform to see if I can make it work for me. I just don't see any commitment or pride by Auctiva in this product. Been using it for a number of years and while I have liked many things about it I can't remember one actual improvement they have made. I know they have repaired-fixed and replaced things but I would hardly call them improvements. The image uploader is certainly not an improvement and the same can be said of the new description editor. Seems to be kind of a downhill arc.
larbear
Hello All -

we have just released a fix for this issue when searching by ISBN in the Find Product link. You should now be able to use Find Product again to search effectively by ISBN.

Should you encounter any further difficulty with this, please let us know what occurs for you in a support case and we will be happy to look into it further.

- Craig
Well I just filed a new support case for this issue which I thought was fixed yesterday. I'm now encountering the following error message when searching for item specifics with ISBN. For example, I put a book into the new eBay category for Books/Nonfiction. When I use the "Find Product" function I get this message. """""Results include products outside of your selected category. Please make sure the product you select is in the intended category."""""" So it appears to find a hit for the ISBN but it is located in some mystery category.
Hi All,

I believe this may possibly be fixed now. Although I just communicated with Jimmy at customer support yesterday, the 15th, and he said they were still working on it and would follow up through the same case - which I originally 2.5 weeks ago for this problem. I hadn't tried anything over the last few days, so to see that it is "fixed" via the board here came as a surprise given customer support's message to me yesterday.

I just tried creating listings for a sample of media items and all were found. I believe that the error message Wagner reported on 6/12 comes up if you choose a different category than eBay has chosen for the book, however the book still is found in the search. I tried inputting the same ISBN using two different media categories -- fiction and then non-fiction -- and for the non fiction, the error message came up, but not when I tried the fiction category. However, the book was found both times.

Could we get an Auctiva support clarification of this and could those of us who have filed cases be communicated with through them as promised? It is now 5 days since Craig posted to this thread but I have had no communication through my case that this is resolved.

Thanks so much.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.