Skip to main content

Recently eBay posted information indicating that we should no longer use HTML or colored backgrounds in our listings because they will not show well on the eBay mobile app. I use Auctiva templates in all of my listings and am now very concerned that my listings will not show well when someone looks up my items on their phone. I have about 2500 listings - can you please comment?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

EBay actually said that quite some time ago.
Apps have improved since then too.

Have you had buyers complain about not seeing your listings??

Have you attempted to look at your listing from any mobile devices??
Could you see them??

Most of us have NOT had an issue with this but you can list without the templates or you can use just the vertical layout for your pictures if this is an issue for you.

The choice is yours.
I was thinkng he may have come across more recent post since the one from last September when this was discussed.

I have looked at mine. I do see one problem but not template related.

I have used same text on my listings for past 2 years. Some that were done in this time, (not all) show up on peview fine on computer, fine on different computers, but on phone they are haywire. Totally wrong and unreadable on phone calligaphy. I did not use calligraphy and would never use it.

Anyone else notice this?

Auctiva why would this happen??

Thanks
Last edited by lookandbuyme
Hi Afrizona,

Thanks for contributing to our forum. I am uncertain exactly which announcement you are referring to, but there was a similar discussion on our forum in September of last year which may contain some helpful information. You can review that conversation by clicking the following link:

https://community.auctiva.com/e...8609941/m/2477021426

If you were to discover that one or more of your listings do not appear properly when you view them through a mobile device, please contact our Customer Support team by mousing over the "Help" tab and selecting the "File Support Case" option and we will be happy to look into it.

-Mike
Hi lookandbuyme,

Assuming that the description text you are referring to appears as “calligaphy” when viewing the listing through the Apple mobile device, such as an iPhone or iPad, I am fairly confident the issue was a result of an issue with our description editor which has since been addressed.

There was a period of time when our editor was specifying the font called Cursive to be used as the backup font for Comic Sans MS. Given that Apple mobile devices do not support the display of Comic Sans MS, this was causing description text which otherwise would have been Comic Sans MS to show as Cursive through these devices.

Although we were able to update the editor last November to make it so the editor no longer specifies a specific backup font when Comic Sans MS is selected and this should not be an issue with listings created since then, this behavior could still be present in listings which were created before the issue was addressed.

Provided you have active listings that exhibit this behavior, the easiest way to address this issue would be to use the Bulk Revise tool on your Auctiva Active Listings page to remove any instances of “,cursive;” from the description HTML of the affected listings via the following process:

1) Select “Description” from the “Select Field to Edit” drop down menu
2) Enter ,cursive; in the “Find this matching text” field
3) Leave the “Replace with this text” field blank
4) Click the “Continue” button
5) Click the “Confirm Changes” button on the ensuing page

Any new descriptions you create using Comic Sans MS (and any you revise in this manner) still will not reflect Comic Sans MS when viewed through Apple mobile devices, but they should show in a more legible font that is used as the default for those devices.

I hope this helps. If you are uncertain whether the behavior you are seeing is a result of this specific issue and would like us to review the item in question to make sure, please contact our Customer Support team by mousing over the “Help” tab and selecting the “File Support Case” option.

-Mike
Thanks..for steps. Could have been cursive...but whatever it was was unreadable and had several complaints on some of listings (rightfully so) I wrote the listings and could not guess what they say.

*** How do we fix this in SAVED listings so futue listings that I post will be correct. I am in process of ending all of my listings to put in new ship rates. So just as well do once from saved page since I have already ended some I know have the cursive font.

What font will appear?? Or should I choose another one. I want something that can easily be read.

Thanks
Last edited by lookandbuyme
I did check several listings on my phone and tab and they all looked great using Auctiva templates so I will continue to use them. I did notice that the thumbnail pic does not display on either the phone or the tab, any ideas on that? Here is one of the postings I was reading from ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerin...timizeformobile.html

I am using external picture hosting so I can access the pictures from several different stores/catalogs/ebay listings all from one picture. I see that on my phone and tab, there is no gallery picture for any of the listings that have external picture hosting. Who do I address this with?
WOW!!!

Thanks for that post..sure sounds like ebay does NOT like embedded images...or that some phones do not.

At this point, I do not know a real reason they would discourage this since they no longer profit from pictures (unless you use over 12 I believe).

I know they use to ask every time I called why I did not list directly through them...at which point I explained the photo issue and charges for them.

Now they have nothing to sell unless you use over 12 photos or list in autos (I believe those are only 2 exceptions).

Thanks for posting...I had not seen that.
Hi Afrizona,

I am not aware of any current technical issues that would explain why your are not seeing thumbnails for your listings that use externally hosted images when you look them up through mobile devices, so we would need to look into this further to reach a conclusion.

However, I just looked up one of your listings that is using externally hosted images as the Gallery images through both the eBay app and website on my iPad and I was able to see a thumbnail sized image on the search results page in both cases.

If you would like us to take a look at a specific example, just file a support case from under the “Help” tab within your account and provide us with all the relevant details and we will see if we can figure out what is happening in your case.

Specifically, it would be helpful to know one or two examples of listings for which you are seeing the behavior, which mobile devices you are using and which process you are using to reach the page that is not showing the thumbnails.

-Mike
Hi lookandbuyme,

If the listings you mentioned are indeed impacted by the issue I described above and you were to remove ,cursive; from the description HTML of each as I mentioned, I believe they will appear in Helvetica or Helvetica Neue when viewed through Apple mobile devices (depending on the model) - either of which should be much more legible.

I think it would be a good idea for me to take a look at a couple examples of listings that exhibit this behavior to ensure they are being impacted by the issue I alluded to previously before you proceed to make any changes in bulk, so I will send you a note through one of your open support cases to request some additional information.

Once we have confirmed that is the case, you should be able to correct the issue in your existing saved listings by using the Find and Replace option on the Saved Listings page within your account to remove the same snippet of HTML that refers to cursive.

-Mike

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.