Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
For boxes, I use U-line. Competitive pricing and fast delivery.

You can do better than that. Find yourself a local Shipping Supplies & Janitorial Supply house, and get yourself an account there. Not only won't you pay shipping, but you'll get wholesale prices too. As an example, I can get 18" cube boxes for $1.10 in bundles of 10. U-Line can't come anywhere near that considering you have to add postage too. U-Line's price w/ shipping is $1.84 per box to my zip.
I've checked with the local shipping supplies store. Those boxes certainly ain't cheap. Why are they so expensive?!? They are just papers and cardboards. Someone should start importing cheap boxes from China and put them all out of business.

I've already marked up my handling by about $2 to $3 to cover eBay/PayPal fees and my time and effort for packaging items and going to the post office. Some bidders and buyers are already complaining and demanding me to lower my shipping & handling for them (AFTER they win the auction.) If I try to mark up the handling by another $2.00 to cover the cost of shipping boxes, bubble wraps, peanuts and other shipping supplies, bidders and buyers are going to start sending me bullets in the mail.
Last edited by ktchong
quote:
I've checked with the local shipping supplies store. Those boxes certainly ain't cheap. Why are they so expensive?!?

Not a "store", but a shipping supply wholesaler. This is the guy who sells boxes to businesses. Businesses don't pay the price you see at Staples, they pay significantly lower.

Look in the Yellow Pages for "Shipping and Janitorial Supplies"
Boxes are my biggerst Dilemma and I need HELP!
I sell mini's and the weigh 1-2-3 oz etc.
If I get free USPS boxes they're priorty mail and the smallest weights more than another 2 oz. Total maybe 4=5 oz and they have to pay that much.
If I use 1st class the dang box still has to be big enough to have the label on it without bending over the edge. That increases the weight.
Also if they want 1st class and insurance it has to be big enough for the ins. sticker and the tracking sticker.
People are griping. I have sold some bigger items and the free USPS boxes work fine. But I have over 1500 minis.

1. I need small light weight boxes. HELP!!Anyone have a source?
I asked on the mini's thread on ebay and they told me to go to the newbie thread. I'd already been there and they said to charge $4.60 period.

2. Also, what if we don't use PayPal for postage, does the buyer lose some benefits? I told one lady that with Priority Mail through eBay and Paypal she has tracking and some other benefits.....she said I was nuts. This is the propoganda I read when I started on ebay. Maybe it's not true???
Later she said she did see that shipping that way did include the tracking which is another 50 cents, but still was unhappy. I offered just to use a small jewelry size box with postage stamps and a stick, still came to almost 3.00 but she didn't want that!

I need help. I don't blame people for not wanting to pay $4.60 for a 2 oz items, but I can't figure out what to do.
I don't want to eat the postage either. USPS and PayPal has us over a barrel.....or am I missing something?
On my other ebay sight i have to have some pretty big boxes... I go to my local grocery store and get good quality large boxes from them.. lots of times i have to double box so they have to be lighter weight but strong.. and so far no one has complained that the boxes were from the grocery store.. Mainly because i choose clean boxes..
A large box can run up to 8.00 at office depot and my customers are glad i dont pass that price on buy using a similar sized grocery store box.
quote:
Originally posted by golfer222111:
On my other ebay sight i have to have some pretty big boxes... I go to my local grocery store and get good quality large boxes from them.. lots of times i have to double box so they have to be lighter weight but strong.. and so far no one has complained that the boxes were from the grocery store.. Mainly because i choose clean boxes..
A large box can run up to 8.00 at office depot and my customers are glad i dont pass that price on buy using a similar sized grocery store box.
Thanks, yes I would agree, but I need little boxes that a shipping label will fit on, probably 4x4 is the least I can go. Are you saying they have little boxes?
big box store have all size boxes but you have to get them before they are cut up...make friends with a stock person at a few stores and you will get many sizes...for free

craigs list is also a great source for bigger boxes for free.

I use many recycled boxes and turn them inside out so the outside is free of writing.

it is girl scout cookie time so they have plenty of the case boxes that are a great size and sturdy too.

post office also has video size box that is smaller but will still be about 4.20 to ship.

I am going to check out the supply store! great idea. thanks

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.