Skip to main content

A guy here at work asked me if I'd want to list an outboard motor for him. I hedged a bit due to the weight, but he said it'd be for local pick-up only. But the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to decline. He's offering to give me all the fees plus a percentage of the selling price, and I did already sell another item for him (a new radar detector, so that was easy to take possession of to photograph and ship, etc.). But I keep thinking...I'd have to go to his house to take the pictures of it (he doesn't have a digital camera), he'd give me all the specs on it so I could write a description. But once people started emailing, they might want to check it out in person before they bid, and I don't want a bunch of people coming over to my house, so I'd rather keep the motor at his house, but then that creates a whole new situation, where people, or the winning bidder, would want/need to come by HIS house to see the item that I have listed, and the winner would have to go to his house to pick it up but yet write the check out to ME. It just seems more hassle than it's worth.

I did suggest before putting it on eBay, to list it on a local radio show called the Trading Post, and see if anyone buys it that way (no auction, just a set price). Otherwise, I'm tempted to just set him up with a basic listing and take/host the pictures for him, but let him list the thing under his own I.D. (he has one, but has only ever bought things) and he can worry about the people coming over and payment, etc. Then that way, too, he wouldn't have to cut me a commission.

What do you think?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've done lots of pick up only auctions. Plus some items that weren't meant for pick up auctions were bought by persons in the area and wanted to save the s/handling costs. Fine by me!
I always make sure that there is a male at the house with me or we meet in a parking lot to exchange items and someone is with me. I've met some REALLY nice people doing business this way.

Also another viable solution is to see if there are any Yahoo Groups in your area or CraigsList. I sell locally through a couple of Yahoo groups..no listing costs, no fee's and it's over and done with just as easy as pie. Craig's List is a great site and once again..no fee's. http://www.craigslist.com

If he has his own ID, you could set the auction up for him for a fee (consulting) and then he can handle the details of the auctions himself.

Good Luck,
Donna
quote:
Originally posted by mar30:
Good idea, Donna - how much of a consulting fee would you suggest? I'd also take the pics and host them for him. I assume that since he doesn't have a digital camera, he also does not have any image hosting anywhere. I have no idea what to charge for doing that and setting up the listing for him.

How bout fifty percent? NYUCK NYUCK!

Gosh..I don't know..what do you feel YOUR time is worth for the time it takes to research the item and all that it takes to get an auction ready.

Heck, I've been known to upload a few auctions for friends for a really nice steak dinner.

Good Luck,
Donna

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.