Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

As a footnote, I signed into my Overstock account that had been sitting for half a year to find a nice credit on my account. Several I know are having success there.

Yahoo is rumored to be joining with MSN. Could be good..never know. It's free to list on Yahoo..that's a big plus.

Bidville it appears to have the most items up..more visibility to your items.

Yahoo accepts cvs files as does bidville. Overstock is getting ready to use cvs files which is a big help!

There are several others..I'll place here tomorrow.

It's late in FL.

Night!
Donna
Hi There - have any of you guys visited Tazbar? I see that as a real alternative to eBay. The guys who started Tazbar have dumped the worst bits of eBay and kept all the best bits then added a whole bunch of stuff after asking us what we wanted. The community there is very friendly and the staff drop by to chat in the forums and are always their to help us out.
Remember alot depends on the kind of items you sell...I have some items on iOffer and not even so much as a view yet. And Bidville isn't much better than ebay so far...needed help with my new account and since they have locked down all their community boards I had to email them. The answer I got might as well have been from ebay, it had nothing to do with my problem Confused
After checking out about a dozen other places I've settled on online auction.com http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php
They're no ebay as for as traffic goes (at least not yet) but IMHO they seem to have the best chance to become a real alternative . Many plans to choose from , most are a flat 8.00 per month with no insertion fees OR final value fees. If you become a founding member you get a free store for a year. check out their news link at the top of their home page, there's some good reading in there.One thing I did notice, as I'm sure you will...at first glance you'll see all these auctions..but no bids....but because there is no insertion fees, people are starting their auctions at absurdly high prices ,I deal in coins, I saw one auction where a seller STARTED the bidding at 349.00 for a 20.00 coin, trying to catch an inexperienced bidder I guess. if you'll start the bidding at a low price and make a true auction out of it , you'll get action. check them out
quote:
Originally posted by chevescreek:
if you'll start the bidding at a low price and make a true auction out of it , you'll get action. check them out

Or you'll get ONE bid and loose money. No traffic typically means no sales or low sales. These other sites are just getting clogged up with items because they have no listing fees. People think they're "sticking it" to eBay. Since they have no traffic, they will fill to capacity, then you'll start having service issues as servers become filled or overloaded. Then follows downtime, etc. eBay went all through this in the late 90's. The simple fact is, eBay still has the traffic, and the others don't.
I agree ebay still has the traffic, I acknowledged that early on, but you've got to start somewhere, if ebay is EVER going to have a competitor
they're probably going to come up through the ranks, take their lumps, experience growing pains etc. In the absence of someone new than we all have no choice but to tuck our tails, return to ebay and quitely accept whatever fees they intend to impose. I think there's more spunk in our community than that.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead
You HAVE to have PATIENCE and you have to KEEP FIGHTING! Don't be CYNICAL! Stick with these little guys like OLA.com and ecrater and ioffer. Monopolies are illegal. There needs to be healthy competition to keep prices down and the ballgame played fairly. Yes, ebay went through all those service issues in the late 90s and they still have all sorts of service issues now (godawful customer service, netflix ads bogging down search pages and so many more etcs). And ebay emerged triumphant then turned into a big black shapeless cruel corporate monolith. Hopefully these companies won't get to that last stage if there is enough competition. Just don't give in and don't give up! OK?
I have signed up with Ebid - $49.95 for lifetime membership - and am going to try OLA as well. I have been reading stock boards as well as the discussion boards and they also seem to think that ebay is changing direction and wants the high volume sellers. They are going completely away from what the original business was alienating the original buyers and sellers. Now is the time to start directing traffic to new sites and give them time to grow.
Good luck people! Honestly, you're going to need it. I jumped on the hater bandwagon (understandably so) and went to Ewaey for that awesome no fees lifetime membership for only $1. A lot of good that did me. They just closed down. I consider the founder a scam artist, whether he had good intentions or not. He made some dough and then ditched everyone, and not to mention blamed sellers for not making the site as good as it could have been.

In addition all of these alternative sites seem to be all fixed price powerseller "auctions". They're more fixed price buy it now format than even ebay. And people think there stuff is worth gold. Also, the categories are SERIOUSLY lacking items. Ewaey had like 5 total items in Home Audio. Pathetic isn't the word.

I wanted something better, and tried something, so far haven't found it. I wish there was as the changes month to month are crazy. The strictly electronic payments thing is bad for me. I just had two items sell and paid for with money order/check.

I could say way more, but that is my quick 2 cents.
Last edited by wesm
The question here is do you want to list for free and not sell or do you want to pay thru your nose and sell? Having a yard sale at the end of a deadend street with no signs posted doesn't get much traffic! I tried webidz and their search format is almost a joke along with other sites. I have googled other online auctions and didn't see any one selling. The sites that you have all mentioned I didn't even see on Google but I will try finding them and checking them out.
Auctiva should break away from eBay and open it's own auction site, unless they have a contract that they can't break. They have a customer base (us) and a checkout and they are friendly (not greedy) but getting the buyers to log on is key.
We need to step up and kiss Meg's butt while we raise our prices!
Sue B.
Hi--I have just signed up at BONANZLE.com

It is like a breath of fresh air--like eBay was years ago. It is growing very fast and many PS have joined the site....the fees are great and it is friendly and positive.

I am waiting for Auctiva to have a site of its own---Auctivia Jeff said it will happen when the weather gets cold. That will be soon.
I closed my ebay store and went to EBid.net.

Yes, sales are slow there but you canlist absolutely free of charge so if your item doesn't sell, you don't pay.

When items do sell, they only charge 2% FVF.

Also, you get 5 free stores.

You really have nothing to lose by listing there. And sales are picking up...It is growing rapidly and could soon be a busy sales outlet.

Plus, the forums are very friendly and helpful, not like ebay where you get attacked for asking a question others deem "stupid".
I like many sellers have been looking for alternatives to ebay and have concluded that at the moment there just aren't any. All the so called competitors have plenty of sellers but few buyers so are not viable.
I have read on the ebay discussion boards some success stories from some big time ebayers who have started their own sites selling the same goods.
One in particular stood out. He has over 50,000 feedbacks but packed it in about 3 months ago but now generates sales of between 30 and 40,000 pounds per month through his own website and using google adwords. He spends 1,000 pounds/month on advertising.
I spend about 800 pounds/month with ebay and generate total income (including shipping) of about 3,500 pounds.
I think adwords may be worth looking into.
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum, but I have been using eBay for 3 years & Auctiva for about 4 months or so & Amazon for a couple of months. I have been doing the same thing, trying to find other places to sell. I like the look of Bonanzle & I just set up an account there. I will look at OLA.com next. I figure it can't hurt to try, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" right? Thanks to everyone for the new ideas!
All this sounds well and good and I hope some can find success... But we need an all encompassing site! I mostly sell music memorabilia, and more than 60% of my sales go overseas. I need an auction site to support this too. Germans, Norwegians, and Britons, and Europeans in general are crazy for the rock and roll! The media rates that are being dictated through eBay are not realistic, especially for vinyl.

Everyone is pissed right now and ready to move on... Auctiva, where are you? Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello...
I should clarify that my wife & I have been on eBay since about 2001. It has gone downhill ever since. We are ready to climb back up. I miss the glory days that will never be on that site again.

Hello, Auctiva Jeff, are you listening? Do you have a plan when the weather gets cold for you? I'm freakin' freezing here!

Everyone is ready to bail. All you need is good advertising!
OZTION!!!

they have half the price in fees
they let you relist for up to 3months for free, then you only pay a 2cent relist on all your items.
they are now ebay's strongest competition because they are Australian Owned and Run
they have a fantastic friendly community
most items have cheaper postage methods because they dont need to mark it up to cover listing fees
YOU ARE ABLE TO USE ANY PAYMENT METHOD

there great!
i have accounts on bonanzle and on atomic mall. i've had several sales on atomic mall already. they seem to have buyers coming through. they upload all their stuff to googlebase each day or something.

i haven't had sales on bonanzle, but I LOVE THE SIMPLE FORMAT! So clean and easy to shop there, even the most mundane item- i'm tempted to buy!!
If you sell antiques, collectibles, or art, AND want to sell fixed price (BIN or offers, no auction) try Ruby Lane (www.rubylane.com) I started 3 weeks ago and have already sold about $24000 there. I was shocked. They are large ticket items. I don't sell many pieces but have sold 18 items in 25 days. NO FINAL FEE, $39 monthly fee and 30 cents listing fee. My total cost has been about $80.

I used to sell about $40,000 a month on ebay (about 2 years ago) but with all the DSR crap and their ties to search engines, and feedback crap and fraud on ebay, my sales dropped drastically. I will still sell on ebay but Ruby Lane has been a life saver. Try it.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.