Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great article! I've never shipped to the wrong buyer...yet. But I have sold something that was no longer in stock...(or, I couldn't find it in my inventory.)

I also learned the hard way that when multiple buyers buy the same item from my store, they all have the same item number in selling manager. Not realizing this, I got one buyer very confused when I looked at the wrong sold item in selling manager and gave him wrong information. He left negative feedback saying I sounded confused. Guess I was.

I hope I've learned enough not to repeat those errors again.
It was a good article...everyone should take responsibility for any mistakes they might make. Nobody's perfect Wink

But it's generally not a good idea to have customers that recieved the wrong package send them to each other...you pretty much blow your DC, you don't have any guarentee that they actually WILL do it, and you've given them personal info about another buyer that should have been kept private. The best thing to do is to have them return the pkg to YOU so you can start over again. (new DC#) Especially if it's a high priced item,

Thank goodness I've never had this problem yet Wink
Great Article!!
Ive been on both sides of mishaps. Im currently forwarding on a Tshirt for a seller that shipped me the wrong one. Ive sent buyers extra items and over and above shipping costs just to say -Thank You- for helping me in my blunder.
Even with all those good intentions, I am currently on the receiving end of a bad purchase.
The item I received did NOT match the item in the picture. (XBox steering Wheel) The pedals and console were different, and on top of it, this barely used item had been opened/tampered with and didn't function very good.
The seller chose to go hardline, insisted on her return policy without shipping compensation either way. Then tried to pawn off I didnt buy shipping insurance to justify the poor functions of it, as if the USPS actually opened up the console and disabled it! Then on top of that refused to acknowledge the item was different ( I sent both pictures, listing & item received) and refused to answer where that listing picture came from! Because she said she had no other unit...so obviously the picture came from someone else.
So now, im out $26 in shipping, Im truly frustrated with this seller, she will receive a negative feedback on her 100% rating, and all because A) wasnt honest with me, and simply refused to refund my original shipping of $13.00

So,.can anybody explain why any seller would hurt their reputation for $13.00..?? 'cause it baffles me.

I would of bent head over heels,...here ya go!! Im VERY sorry etc,...Please let me try and fix things etc..

Ohhh well.
Again - Great article.
When I read this article, I had to laugh because something similar happened about three weeks ago. A customer ordered 50 Wholesale DVDs that were suposed to be Westerns Comedies and Classics. Instead I accidentally shipped one of my additional Stock boxes which was filled with double titles and not a single Western.

When I realized the mistake it was too late, however, when the buyer e-mailed me about the problem, I just admitted I made a mistake and offered to replace any title he did not want. In the end we exchanged about 15 DVDs. And I received not only a posiive 5 star feedback, but also a nice letter from my seller thanking me for fixing the problems fast without any problems.

So sometimes a mistake can actually help your DSRs
Nice article... this happened to me as well.. as a seller, I shipped the wrong game to a buyer (I happened to have 2 completely different games with the SAME title). My problem with the buyer is that she accepted my apology and I promised a refund, but she wanted that refund posted immediately. I insisted on waiting until the game was returned to me. What are some thoughts on this situation?

Ken
I don't know about getting a negative for shipping the wrong item and selling something not in stock. This has never happened to me. But I think that the real risk of getting a negative is from the buyers 1. who never contact the seller to resolve a problem 2. who are simply dishonest and try to scam you 3. who cannot make the item work (we sell electronics) and blame you for that.
In 20,000+ ebay sales, I've switched packages 3 times. Each time spurred me to tighten my procedures to avoid a repeat.

It's always a major headache, but I've found that most customers are very understanding if you catch the problem (or react, if they catch it first) very quickly and make the resolution as easy for them as possible. What's important is making the situation right for the customer with the minimum inconvenience to him or her.

In each instance, I've asked the recipients if they would be comfortable with my giving their name and address to the person who has their package. When they've agreed, I've paypalled each person the amount of the shipping from their address to the right address plus delivery confirmation with a couple of dollars added for their trouble.

I think it would be quite unlikely that a person would keep the incorrect item, but if they did, I'd try to keep in mind that my own carelessness created the problem and blame myself rather than the customer. Since I sell mostly antiques and collectibles, the chances that a customer would WANT the incorrect item are less than someone selling in a smaller niche.

Having customers return the item to you for remailing would not only greatly increase your mailing costs, but would also build in a delay that would be unacceptable to most customers.

It's been my experience that customers usually realize that accidents happen and respond positively.
So what do you in this situation? I sold two laptops the same day and I got the shipping labels mixed up. I was informed by the fist customer that the item was wrong and realizing what I had done, asked if he could forward it to the second buyer. "No problem!" The problem was the second buyer got the better laptop at a greatly reduced price and would not reply to any attempt by me to contact him. In the mean time he receives the laptop sent from the first customer. This guy must have thought he won the lottery because now he has two laptops!
After several voice messages and e-mails he still won't answer me! And get this! I get a negative feedback from this guy that I'm a scammer and have been harrasing him! When I contacted EBay for help in the matter, they said: "the problem was outside of EBay policies" and could not help.
Bottom line is yeah I messed up! But if it happens again, they're just going to have to wait the extra time. "MOST" people realize accidents happen. Not All!

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.