Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I really agree with Carlos on this one. Ebay is having problems because the very changes they thought would bring more people TOO eBay to purchase . . . were desperate measures and they didn't realize that the very people that were sellers (used to be and STILL were) BUYERS.

They are learning the hard lesson. Keep your customers happy . . . it's much harder gaining NEW customers than keeping the old ones.
I agree. Ebay can put their spin on why things are down as much as they want. However most all of us that sell on ebay know many of the changes have caused sellers to leave. Most of those sellers were also buyers. Best match is anything but a best match. If I have trouble finding my own items using it how can a buyer be expected to.

In addition even good sellers like myself find it frustrating to constantly be told what to do, how to run your business, that your shipping is too high etc. Ebay seems so negative with everything they do when it comes to "improving". Even when you are doing really well and have high DSR's you are only told you are Good. Not great, not Fantastic - just good. Drop too low and all the sudden you see huge red lines - told you are bad, etc. While I understand ebay wants people to improve when they get to a certain level I don't think telling people they are fair or poor is a good way to motivate people. A little positive reinforcement from ebay would probably be a much better way to handle things.

Think about it - when your child brings home a low grade in English do you constantly remind them they are doing poor. No, most people would tell them positive things, tell them they can improve - and show them how they can improve. Instead ebay just "yells" at you, telling you you are just fair or poor - then hides all the scores so you never know what's causing the problems.
what they are doing with all these new rules is a ploy to eventually hold your paypal money for longer,when your standing and compliance goes down to a certain level they will restrict your account and not allow you to transfer from paypal to your bank until the customer receives goods and leaves feedback.This will give ebay (who own paypal)another few days or more to use our money in there profit making schemes whatever they are.I had 100% feedback now falling due to silly incidents such as a stain on a 99p (50c) scarf resulting in a negative,over time its inevitable my ratings will go down to a level where they can implement their new policy and thus hold my money longer.As my main business is wholesale i cant have big payments held up too long for cashflow reasons and also low margins means im looking to sell elsewhere online if possible.
Also the fee system makes it not worth selling low ticket products unless you overcharge on p+p to save fees,and they are starting to clamp down on this as well.
I think their greediness will cost them in the long term as more sellers will be forced to look to other ways of doing business
Today is my last day selling on Ebay. Even though I'm a PowerSeller with star rating of 4.9 & one neg FB from a nut, my listings are at the bottom every day. My shipping rate is actual cost so what's the deal Ebay? It no longer matters who's first or who's price is lower, some goofey BEST MATCH system thought up by someone with too much time, orders listings using logic that makes no sense. How can we sell when listings cannot be found? Not only did they screw up the listing order, they took away punishment for bad buyers. Oh yes, we can get our FVF back after waiting 2 weeks, but what about the lost sale? I'd rather send my wares to GoodWill than waste any more time & money on Ebay. Did I forget to say I no longer buy on Ebay? Recent experience with a nasty seller that Ebay ignores changed my shopping habits Amazon, here I come! . Amazon, here I come. Razz Today is my last day selling on Ebay.
All eBay has done since making recent policy changes--many of which it fails to enforce when it comes to buyers (i.e. Buyer Accountability, filing a dispute process, etc.)--is drive long-time sellers away while attracting a new, unfavorable bidding element. With sellers now having very few rights on eBay, and Customer Support being anything but supportive, I've noticed the amount of non-paying bidders on my auctions literally quadruple within the past two months moreso than in over seven years of being an eBay seller. Likewise, one problem buyer--even one with a two year history of scamming sellers--can destroy a seller's reputation as each eBay department is so specialized and unversed in both English and comprehensive skills that multiple complaints from numerous sellers fail to drive the point home that the new system isn't working except for buyers who have learned how to use it for their own unethical advantage. Even math graduates I know fail to understand the feedback calculation equation since the number of sales or feedbacks isn't actually being used anywhere in the process? Also, a neutral feedback now goes against a seller as much as a negative one--although eBay will, at least, be correcting that in late August. As others have said before me, eBay went from being a brilliant brainstorm to a dimly lit raincloud on the horizon of a failing economy. Speaking on behalf of my fellow sellers, we all expected more... our having been the ones to help found eBay; with eBay now turning its back on us as it flounders to keep afloat. The new brand of buyers it's attracted certainly won't be the ones to save it!
I agree with Kentucky Rebel and all the others, and I am a die hard E-bayer. Since they started the feedback changes I have never had so many people either paying extremely late or not at all. The problem with not even being able to find your listing is also true and just getting worse. There are so many listings that are not even in the right category it is terrible. It is all clogged up with items that are not even close to being in the right category. Why is this happening is it because of the trend to suck up to all these drop shippers? The little guy got squeezed out a long time ago and it went bad from there.
Yes, I would agree with the last post. I think Ebay and their siter company PayPal does not CARE about the seller at all! Their un-fair feedback policy is hurting sellers! They are being taken advantage of! PayPal doesn't care as well. They only care about their fees. I recently had a non paying bidder who responded to a non paying bid compaint by telling me that she sent a payment. After payment has not been received in 2 WEEKS! I closed the dispute to get my money back from Ebay (some of it) which is quite HEFTY, we all know that. So, what do you think the buyer did next? She left me a negative saying that "SELLER IS A FRAUD! NEVER SENT ITEM AFTER PAYMENT" ????? So, I left her a "positive" stating that she is a scammer, which she was. So what do you think EBay did? They removed my comments from her feedback, sent me a "warning" e-mail telling me not to do that again, and her feedback stood. Is this what this is all about??? This is abuse! I am not even going to go into other abuses, I am sure that my comments will send many sellers into a RAGE! well, what about PayPal? Their policy is this "Hear no evil, see no evil"..... I am going to tell you a "funny" story that a friend of my had with PayPal. I am not even going to mention my stories! She was selling an AUTHENTIC VALENTINO PURSE on Ebay that she purchased at Nordstrom's while I was with her on a shopping trip. The purse cost her a little over 1,200 after taxes. She wore it for a little while and then listed on Ebay for a little over 600.00 (less than 50% off purchase price). The buyer got it and started writing to her that she does not think it's authentic. So my friend wrote to her that the purse is GUARANTEED to be AUTHENTIC and she can get it AUTHENTICATED at any Valentino boutique. Well, the buyer filed a dispute with PayPal. They told her to get a letter stating the purse is not authentic. My friend did not worry, because she knew that the purse was authentic. Well, some 45 days later the dispute was settled in BUYERS favor! And the e-mail that my friend got from PayPal stated "Dear buyer please dispose of the purse in the manner you choose"????

My friend called PayPal OUTRAGED! She was told that the buyer provided "evidence" that the purse was not authentic. Imagine that you paid 1,200 at Nordstrom's for an item and then you are being told by PayPal that the buyer provided evidence that the item is not authentic??? OK, I would like to see the "evidence" as I want to dispute it, etc... "Well, you can't see the evidence" "Why not?" Well, becuase we are not obligated to provide it to you. If you want to see it hire a lawyer and get a subpoena..." How do you like that??? So the next question was "OK. Can I get my purse back?" "No. Because the item is fake we are obligated to take it off the market." How do you like that????

So, here is Ebay failing to "WOW" Wall Street.... Who do they think is going to want to sell on EBay after this??? I had a buyer that bought a brand new purse from me. Used it for a month, removed tags off it, filed a PayPal dispute, sent it back to me in a filthy condition, and PayPal refunded the money back to the buyer. Why? Because they DON'T CARE! My sister is in retail and she wants nothing to do with Ebay! Why? Because she does not want to work for EBAY or PAYPAL! Making money for them, and not for herself! She said I would much rather spend a few years promoting my own web site instead of dealing with you know what....
quote:
Prime example
buyer buys an item,sends a check, time goes by and we send item. We ll check bounces a month later and we can not file an unpaid, too much time and we can not leave feedback to warn others.
Contacted ebay , they just said sorry.
Guess we will not do check customers anymore, more lost sales to ebay

NO THAT'S WHERE YOU FAIL TO SEE THE POINT!!! That's not a lost sale to EBay! That's a FORCED changed rule on your part to accept more PayPal buyers! Cheers to those that send NSF checks, from EBay! = More sales fees for PayPal! Cheers! "We are soo sorry to hear of your troubles! Hope you have a better sale next time." Wink, Wink....
[QUOTE]I agree. Ebay can put their spin on why things are down as much as they want. However most all of us that sell on ebay know many of the changes have caused sellers to leave. Most of those sellers were also buyers. Best match is anything but a best match. If I have trouble finding my own items using it how can a buyer be expected to.

Well I have an opinion about this too!!!! Wink) Do you find it ironinc that Ebay does not implement a rating system for itself on it's web site??? Can you imagine all these angry sellers/buyers rating EBay??/ Do you think their rating would be better than 95.00%??? which is what EBay expects of it's sellers? Can you imagine if their rating fell below 95.00% satisfaction from buyers/sellers they would be restricted from doing business??/ Can you imagine what a wake up call that would be??? Do you think that a lot of their BS policies would be abolished in a matter of, well, no time! ???
I my self prefer to buy from Amazon and I also sell on Amazon when ever possible. I sell some things on Ebay that are a bit unusual to be able to find together on Amazon.com. I have always had trouble getting people to pay. Because I used to work in a bank I learned not to accept personal checks. I'm not surprised Amazon does better because some of the books are down to 1 cents. They give the sellers $3.99 per book to ship. This only works if the book is very light. Also people don't expect their items immediately on Amazon since most everyone elects standard shipping which is the slow media mail.If you mail a book media mail on ebay the customer gets angry. Some ask for you to refund like 50 cents in postage.
quote:
Posted July 31, 2008 03:11 PM Hide Post
I my self prefer to buy from Amazon and I also sell on Amazon when ever possible. I sell some things on Ebay that are a bit unusual to be able to find together on Amazon.com. I have always had trouble getting people to pay. Because I used to work in a bank I learned not to accept personal checks. I'm not surprised Amazon does better because some of the books are down to 1 cents. They give the sellers $3.99 per book to ship. This only works if the book is very light. Also people don't expect their items immediately on Amazon since most everyone elects standard shipping which is the slow media mail.If you mail a book media mail on ebay the customer gets angry. Some ask for you to refund like 50 cents in postage.

Well, I sell on Amazon, too. I like Amzon better because there is NO SALE TILL THE ITEM IS PAID FOR! So, you don't have to deal with non paying customers. That aspect I like from Amazon. However their shipping calculation really sucks! BUT, I found that if I put higher weight then I am able to recover my actual shipping costs. That's the key! If you put actual weight and dimentions, then their shipping reimbursement does not cover the actual shipping charges. I am not sure how they calculate them.... So what is the moral of all stories??? Cheat!!! say that you got fakes, when you got hte real thing. Say that you paid for an item, when you didn't. Blackamil all sellers whenver you can, or leave a negative feedback. That's the Ebay policy! Am I wrong? I would love to argue this point with someone....
We have a 99.6 (only because they count a NEUTRAL received 11 months ago against us), and all our ratings are 4.9, except for shipping, which is 5.6 because all buyers think you charge too much for shipping, even when it is exact! We have been selling on eBay since 2001, and up until now, have been relatively happy with eBay. Now, I have had 4 UNPAID buyers in the last month, and UNABLE to warn other sellers of these potential dead-beats. We are not allowed to leave a feedback telling others that we never received communication, nor payment from these buyers and they go on to do it to others. We have finally made a unamimous decision to call it quits on eBay and move on to Amazon.com. Good-Bye Ebay and good luck to your future as the best of us slowly leave you!
WOW! I so agree with kentuckyrebel,umchukma and alexandra. SOME buyers have become rude and arrogant because they can not receive negative feedback. I'm a hardcore ebayer buying and selling for 7 and one half years. I'm honest,sincere,fast shipping and have very fair shipping rates.
Every since the new feedback policy I've had nothing but problems with receiving payments and communication.

I HAD an excellent reputation (800+ feedback with over 1000 transactions). A "buyer" (non paypal member with 0 feedback)) said I requested cash (not true).I never received any payment! Buyer opened a dispute and gave me 3 negative feedback.I tried to contact buyer...phone disconnected. I tried to resolve this issue by negotiation and communication. I offered free shipping and free items. No reply. I responded to the negative feedback and my replies were removed! Even though all communication is supposed to be documented via ebay messages everything was ruled in the favor of the non paying bidder. I have also had several other bad experiences with ebay recently because of the new feedback policy. I'm totally disgusted with all ebay and all their new policies...none for the better!

Ebay is very slow to respond to any concerns..if at all.
Also, I would like to make a couple more points. Ebay has a feature that allows sellers to block unwanted buyers. I had a problem with a buyer with 6000 plus feedback. How is a seller to know who is going to create a problem???

And when a buyer goes to the leave feedback page they are REMINDED that they CAN NOT receive negative feedback. What good is this to the seller???
quote:
And when a buyer goes to the leave feedback page they are REMINDED that they CAN NOT receive negative feedback. What good is this to the seller???

Answer: Well, you know I was "surprised" when I saw their "updated" meesage today. Before it was "we would like you to not be afraid to leave honest feedback anynore. Please remember that a seller can no longer leave you a negative feedback" or something along these lines..... Today it was "!Please leave a fair feeback reflecting your experience.... And remember that a buyer can no longer leave you a negative feedback"..... This is a joke! A feedback is a way for you to let the others know your experience with a buyer or a seller! If a deadbeat did not pay you, or scammed you, or otherwise was un-fair I think that should not prevent a seller from leaving that feedback... But, Ebay seems to think that it's a one way street.
I AM ONE OF THE ORIGINAL EBAYERS HAVING JOINED BACK IN THE 90'S. AS A SELLER, THIS IS THE WORST OF TIMES. I HAVE BEEN VICTIMED BY BUYERS WHO TAKE MY HOCKEY CARDS AND THEN CLAIM THAT THEY NEVER ARRIVED AND GET A FULL REFUND FROM PAYPAL. I APPEAL THE DECISION, PROVIDE PROOF OF FRAUD, INCLUDING HARASSING EMAILS FROM THESE BUYERS LAUGHING AT ME AND GLOATING ABOUT THEIR MISDEEDS AND YET PAYPAL AND EBAY DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM ME. THIS WEEK I HAD A BUYERS RECEIVE A $200 CARD FROM ME AND THEN CANCEL PAYMENT! I PHONED PAYPAL AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THE BUYER DID INDEED CANCEL HIS PAYMENT BUT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A MISTAKE ON HIS PART SO ASK HIM TO PAY ME AGAIN. I DID SO BUT THE BUYER IGNORES MY EMAILS. EBAY IS VERY HOSTILE TO SMALL SELLERS. IT IS A COMPANY THAT IS GOING DOWN...DOWN...DOWN...I AM ALSO A BUYER BY THE WAY AND WOULD NEVER STEAL FROM ANYONE. IN THE OLD DAYS YOU COULD LEAVE A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK, WHICH STILL DIDN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK THOUGH. EBAY WAS A GOOD CONCEPT ORIGINALLY BUT THEY'VE RUINED IT ALL IN THE INTERESTS OF MORE PROFIT. BUT THEIR GREED WILL BE THEIR DOWNFALL..JUST LIKE ENRON.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.