Skip to main content

Is there a federal law that says that a seller cannot refuse a certain form of money as long as it is valid, commonly accepted form of payment??

I remember about learning such a law back in a college law class, but I can't remember the specifics. Basically, it says that a seller cannot refuse any particular type of payment of money as long as it is a valid form and the buyer agrees to cover for any expense for that payment. Of couse, basic law 101: the laws of the land SUPERCEDE and OVERRIDE all eBay rules or contracts between sellers and buyers. An invalid, illegal company rules or business contract is not enforceable.

Here is the situation: I bought an item on eBay that was to be picked up personally. In the original listing, the seller wrote that the item was located in El Segundo, California, and the buyer makes payment in money order or cash in El Segundo (at the pick up.)

Now the seller has changed the terms and conditions AFTER the auction has closed and without my prior consent -- now the item is located in Long Beach, California, and the seller demands me to mail a money order or cash to an address in Hawaii. He has not given me an address in Long Beach for the pick up, nor a contact person to meet for the pick up, nor a contact phone number in California to call and to make the pick up arrangement.

Please note that we have had a prior dispute before the seller decided to change the terms and conditions. (i.e., we set up a time and place on the Christmas shopping weekend for the pick up, I missed the first pick up due to miscommunication. The seller immediately turned berserk and became rude and *extremely* uncivilized.)

I have the strong feeling that, once I have made the payment in cash or money order, he will just screw me over because there is no proof there I pay. He will just not give me the item, leave me a bad feedback, and then I can't leave him a bad feedback because he has filed an unpaid item dispute, which will prevent me from leaving him a feedback. (i.e., The seller has filed an unpaid item complaint against me.)

I know he has a PayPal account, and I want to just send money to his PayPal account so the transaction is traceable and documented. Also, PayPal will deal with him if he refuses to give me the good -- and charge back to his account. I even put in the extra money to cover any possible PayPal fees (although I know he has the most basic free account, so it does not cost him anything to get money via PayPal.) However, he refuses to accept PayPal payment because he says it is not "in the original terms" (although he has already changed the terms himself -- he insists that he, as the seller, can set up the terms -- those darn egoistic musicians think they don't have to follow the rules and can make up the rules on the way.) I am quite sure he will not accept my PayPal payment, but then eBay will cancel the deal if a seller refuses the payment, and his complaint will be cancelled as well.

I checked eBay rules, and one says a seller cannot refuse a payment, but the rules are very vague. And I remember that we have a federal level law that says no one can refuse a particular form of money in payment. Of course, laws supercede any eBay rules or seller/buyer contract.

Please, if anyone can tell me about that law in details, I'd appreaciate it. I've also posted this message in various legal forum seeking for advice.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by ktchong:
Is there a federal law that says that a seller cannot refuse a certain form of money as long as it is valid, commonly accepted form of payment??

I remember about learning such a law back in a college law class, but I can't remember the specifics. Basically, it says that a seller cannot refuse any particular type of payment of money as long as it is a valid form and the buyer agrees to cover for any expense for that payment. Of couse, basic law 101: the laws of the land SUPERCEDE and OVERRIDE all eBay rules or contracts between sellers and buyers. An invalid, illegal company rules or business contract is not enforceable.

Here is the situation: I bought an item on eBay that was to be picked up personally. In the original listing, the seller wrote that the item was located in El Segundo, California, and the buyer makes payment in money order or cash in El Segundo (at the pick up.)

Now the seller has changed the terms and conditions AFTER the auction has closed and without my prior consent -- now the item is located in Long Beach, California, and the seller demands me to mail a money order or cash to an address in Hawaii. He has not given me an address in Long Beach for the pick up, nor a contact person to meet for the pick up, nor a contact phone number in California to call and to make the pick up arrangement.

Please note that we have had a prior dispute before the seller decided to change the terms and conditions. (i.e., we set up a time and place on the Christmas shopping weekend for the pick up, I missed the first pick up due to miscommunication. The seller immediately turned berserk and became rude and *extremely* uncivilized.)

I have the strong feeling that, once I have made the payment in cash or money order, he will just screw me over because there is no proof there I pay. He will just not give me the item, leave me a bad feedback, and then I can't leave him a bad feedback because he has filed an unpaid item dispute, which will prevent me from leaving him a feedback. (i.e., The seller has filed an unpaid item complaint against me.)

I know he has a PayPal account, and I want to just send money to his PayPal account so the transaction is traceable and documented. Also, PayPal will deal with him if he refuses to give me the good -- and charge back to his account. I even put in the extra money to cover any possible PayPal fees (although I know he has the most basic free account, so it does not cost him anything to get money via PayPal.) However, he refuses to accept PayPal payment because he says it is not "in the original terms" (although he has already changed the terms himself -- he insists that he, as the seller, can set up the terms -- those darn egoistic musicians think they don't have to follow the rules and can make up the rules on the way.) I am quite sure he will not accept my PayPal payment, but then eBay will cancel the deal if a seller refuses the payment, and his complaint will be cancelled as well.

I checked eBay rules, and one says a seller cannot refuse a payment, but the rules are very vague. And I remember that we have a federal level law that says no one can refuse a particular form of money in payment. Of course, laws supercede any eBay rules or seller/buyer contract.

Please, if anyone can tell me about that law in details, I'd appreaciate it. I've also posted this message in various legal forum seeking for advice.

The seller CANNOT change their TOS after the auction has ended. They must honor what is in the auction - no exceptions. Go to eBay's Live help. It's on the homepage in the top right-hand corner of the page.

eBay's homepage - Look for Live Help in the top right

Bring the auction number with you. They'll help you.

PS - Buyers CAN leave feedback for an unpaid item dispute as long as they 'answer' the dispute by way of an email. Answer the dispute sent to you by eBay. Then you most certainly CAN leave feedback. Buyers who don't answer a dispute for nonpayment cannot leave feedback.
Thanks. I've contacted the eBay staff and faxed/emailed over all my records on this matter. Thanks goodness I have kept all the sellers' emails and messages, which had actually gotten kinda loopy. The seller, in addition to having flipped flopped on his own terms several times after the auction had closed, had resorted to insult and harrassment emails on several occassions -- and his own words will be his downfall, LOL, because now I'm going to use his own words, flip-flopping, insults and harrassments against him. Everything is documented and on record. (How much dumber could a person get when he started flip-flopping and spilling insults in email and eBay messages?!? Hello? Everything is on record!) The guy loses his temper easily -- that and the records would definitely work against him in my favor. I'll let eBay deal with him.
Last edited by ktchong

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.