Skip to main content

Reply to "A subversive idea for sellers"

Hi Jeff -

The "proof" is the statement out of John Donahoe's own mouth that he wants to rid eBay of the flea market atmosphere. That is basically all those small sellers who sell "junk" - unique items that you likely don't see everywhere else. I call it serendipity - a happy discovery - which is what so many have found to be the fun of eBay.

The top 200 power sellers DO have something to do with you. They are the ones who will be left once eBay has rid itself of the small sellers, of which you are one.

I know it is monotonous. I have been extremely discouraged myself. But the consensus is that most of us are moving to OLA. Not all - but a huge majority have decided that is the best option. I personally don't mind paying $8 up front as long as I am listing consistently. I sell well under the $24.99 category most of the time, and my fees will be higher than any other category. Last month I paid $70 in fees to eBay, and that doesn't include the fees I paid PayPal. So I'm more than happy to pay $8 for unlimited listings, and not a penny more when they sell (or not).

There isn't a single auction site out there right now that has the traffic eBay currently does. But I have seen other posts by you yourself complaining about the low STR on eBay as well, so you ARE aware that they aren't doing much better. Hands down better than other sites right now, but the other sites are beginning to grow.

I have already stated to you that if you can do better on eBay, then by all means that is where you should stay. But while you do, keep your eye on the other sites, in particular OLA. And before you ask, yes, I have opened an account there, but have not listed anything yet. I have also opened accounts at Etsy (where I currently have listings), iOffer, eCrater and Overstock.com. Like you, I am researching my options. I plan to list a few things on each site just to see how it goes. I haven't had time yet to list on any others because I have a full time job that prevents me from listing as much as I would like to. Fortunately, eBay was just extra money for me and not my living like it is for others.

I really don't want to argue with anybody about this. I DO stand strong on my convictions, as should everyone. But each of us will make our own choice, and that's how it should be.

Thanks for the "debate". I have enjoyed "sparring" with you; you make very valid points that make me think harder about my reasons for doing what I am doing.

Debbie
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.