Skip to main content

Reply to "Image size/ratio"

The 4:3 aspect ratio is generally in keeping with what a digital camera produces. It also conforms to the maximum (Supersize) Auctiva will resize at 1024 W x 768 H. Note, a Portrait vs. Landscape would then have a maximum Height of 768 after resize in their system. A picture taken in the vertical or portait mode with a 4:3 ratio cam should resize to 576 W x 768 H after upload. Auctiva calls that stored image the original or _o.jpg, as it appears in your Image library, but it's use is the Supersized image.

That same image should also be resized and stored automatically as a 225 W x 300 H default for the standard/default image for lisings and a 60 W x 80 H thumbnail with _tp.jpg and _th.jpg names. Those sizes are restricted to max of 400 x 300 and 80 x 80, repectively.

Once you understand the maximum dimension limit for storage for each picture type, the aspect ratio is maintained and reflected in the resize produced. That dimension limit is then used for accurate display and presentation in the listing, e.g. 2 portrait or 1 landscape and portrait side-by-side using Paired for mode of display on a template should appear with equal vertical heights. Note, that assumes that the resizes for each produced a default for both images with a 300 pixel height.

Normally, I stick with 1.7MP on my camera for uncropped images and higher settings for pre-cropping of my photos prior to upload, and let Auctiva do the resizing for optimum presentation with least pixilation.

The colors chosen for borders are custom to the template. You can turn off borders. You would have to play with the HTML code using export feature to change color. You could turn off the borders and create your own with a desktop picture editor. I use MS PhotoDraw alot for just that purpose.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse.

Danno
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.