Skip to main content

Reply to "New Policy EBAY Excessive Shipping Amt"

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Bradford:
quote:
When you bid it was a legal and binding contract to that auction and the wording in that auction. That auction didn't include additional charges which weren't noted.

How about those people who don't state the S&H in their listing and say they "won't know how much" until you've won? Is that in line with eBay policy? There's no way I'd ever bid on one of those auctions but I see them all the time.

I understand that some of those folks are on the up-and-up and can't figure out how to estimate the shipping beforehand. But I'm not willing to take that chance as a buyer.

I know what you're saying here, and I don't disagree, but truthfully there's no way to know in advance how much it will actually cost to ship a package to any given location, unless you use a priority mail flat rate envelope or box and it's staying in the US, or a global flat rate envelope (which you can't use for all countries). Since the USPS has SO many goofy different rates to every different location in the world - even within the US - the only way to come up with a fixed price is to estimate - and then you overestimate the shipping charge if the buyer is located close to you, and you underestimate if the buyer is far away. And there is absolutely no way of knowing in advance what the cost will be if it ends up being an international sale - I've seen the actual shipping charge for the same size, same weight item vary from as little as $4.40 to as high as $14, depending on which particular country it's going to.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.