Skip to main content

Reply to "PayPal Monopoly on Ebay"

I started this thread and am pleased with all the out-pouring of responses. 80% or more have agreed that PayPal and Ebay abuse their powerful monopoly. Years ago at Christmas, when I was really inexperienced with this duo, I sold an expensive necklace to an international customer. Really seemed legite and they paid through PayPal. I was trying to get all my Christmas items shipped before leaving town, so I shipped this item within 72 hours of payment. While I was away, PayPal did a chargeback on my account due to stolen credit card. Mind you they waited 5 days before they notified me "not" to ship the item and it was Christmas time. I did withdraw my PayPal balance before I left on my trip and it had a zero balance. However, my account was negative when I returned and everyone who purchased from me while I was gone and paid with PayPal merely went to my negative balance... I could not withdraw my earnings after that chargeback. When I returned, I contacted the Postal Svc and filed the paperwork to stop delivery of my item due to stolen credit card. They tried, but somehow after this, they cannot verify what happened or who actually signed for the item.

I was furious. PayPal should have eaten that mistake and they did not.

I argued with PayPal when I got back, argued with Ebay as well. Did not win. I closed my PayPal account with a negative balance.

They locked me out due to a negative balance and would not let me retrieve my credit card info or my banking acct info. PayPal withdrew the negative balance from my checking acct. I notifed my bank I did not authorize that withdrawal and they reversed it on PayPal. My one victory.

My daughter opened me another PayPal account and I continued to do business with different banking info and moved on. You can win sometimes with PayPal if you play with the same rules they do... Sad an honest seller has to go to those lengths to stay solvent, but you do what you have to do.

I have had one chargeback since and never got my merchandise back and PayPal still gave the buyer a refund eventually and put me into a $500 negative balance. Thinking about closing that account with PayPal as well, but I cannot get my banking and checking info back. In my experience, they always rule for the buyer... I know that is not always the case for everyone, but I have dealt with some buyers who will lie or whatever to get their money back... and it works with PayPal 99% of the time. Although I do sympathize with honest buyers who deal with dishonest Sellers. In my experience of over 1000 transactions as buyer and seller, Buyers have the advantage.

I am just not a big PayPal fan, but they are the only game in town with Ebay... so use them and pray you don't get screwed too many times.
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.