Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you end them immediately, you have still been charged the 10-cents, right? Do you then ask eBay for a whole bunch of FVF credits?? That would seem like a big tip-off to eBay.

Then, when you relist, you are charged another 10-cents. So, it seems to me you are actually paying 20-cents total. Still pretty good, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the concept correctly.

Last 10-cent day, when I ran out of time, I listed a bunch of items that I already had saved, then I immediately revised them into new listings. Also, to save time on special listing days, I sometimes will list without a picture and then take pictures and add them the next day.
Hi, and thanks for the tip, I need to clarify something. Can you count on ebay having a ten cent day at least every 90 days?? And something I used to do a lot of was if I had listed a dud and didn't want to relist it, I would just change everything in the original listing to an item I was pretty sure would sell. Got a lot of relisting credits that way.
Okay, so I think I figured it out myself. You can ignore my dumb question below. When you relist and it sells, you get the relist fee back, right?
quote:
Originally posted by scholartime:
If you end them immediately, you have still been charged the 10-cents, right? Do you then ask eBay for a whole bunch of FVF credits?? That would seem like a big tip-off to eBay.

Then, when you relist, you are charged another 10-cents. So, it seems to me you are actually paying 20-cents total. Still pretty good, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the concept correctly.

Last 10-cent day, when I ran out of time, I listed a bunch of items that I already had saved, then I immediately revised them into new listings. Also, to save time on special listing days, I sometimes will list without a picture and then take pictures and add them the next day.
Well, it's quite a bit after we *first* started posting about the problems. See other threads. I was able to finally list my first item of the day. THANK YOU. I will be back to heap praises on your name later, but right now I have to make up for lost time. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva David:
This is 8 minutes after your post and it appears that auctiva.com is functional. What problem are you experiencing with the site?

Thanks
-- Auctiva David
And right now there is only one item showing in my saved listings file, and I have tried several times to get it, using both links. Photos still won't load, unless I save the auction without them, pull it back up and redo it. I must have cleared my cache 10 times today. This problem with images not loading is ongoing but I have never gotten an answer from support on it.
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Jeff:
Here is a dirty trick. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I've seen some big sellers do it and so far eBay has looked the other way.

It goes something like this... Create listings as quickly as you can at your normal prices. Then immediately after they start them you can end them early. Then you have 90 days to relist those auctions and they are relisted at the 10 cent price. If the item sells you've got your listing for 10 cents. If it doesnt sell I guess you pay the normal price, but that's no worse than you would have paid normally.

What some sellers do is create as many listings now as they'd normally launch in 3 months. Then over the 3 months they just use those relists to list the items. It's basically a way to get all your next 3 months worth of listings at the 10 cent price. Basically what you are doing is building up a huge pool of relist credits at the 10 cent rate.

Dirty, but so far it's allowed. Just be sure to end your items immediately after listing them. It's not fair to other sellers to muck up the search results with your empty listings.

If your a seller listing $500 items this could save you nearly $5 per item you list.

Some sellers are afraid that things like this may make eBay give up on 10 cent listing days. Others already hate them because their categories are filled with junk and their sell through rates suffer. Personally I think eBay already accounts for things like this happening when they fact in the cost of doing a day like this. I also think eBay isn't doing days like this out of the goodness of their heart. They're trying to either pump up their quarterly #'s or they're preplanning for a holiday when listing counts would otherwise drop by seeing th e site now with cheaper listings. In short these 10 cent listing days are needed to keep listing counts high and vital.
Hi!
You have the first part of this wrong but don't have time to explain...Jeff has it posted.
quote:

Hi again...just saw your other post~~~~you got it right!
You will be charged the regular price for relisting but if your item sells..you get that back..without asking for it...DON'T ask Ebay for a refund!
If it does not sell...you have actually paid 10 cents more.
So if it sells it ends up costing you 10 cents.
I've been doing this all along because something always goes wrong on one of these days! Auctiva did not launch my auctions this morning!
One time I was in a hurry and just put XXX on my titles. I did not get these listings ended quick enough and someone wrote me and was really upset because he said I made him look.
I wasn't thinking what "XXX" might mean!

quote:
Okay, so I think I figured it out myself. You can ignore my dumb question below. When you relist and it sells, you get the relist fee back, right?
quote:

What the above post actually says is "you are building up credits at the 10 cent rate"..this sounds like after you have cancelled your 35 cent listings and later relisted them at the 10 cent rate, you will receive a credit of 10 cents!! I assume, if people have done this, that they are actually receiving the 35 cent credit for the original listing, otherwise they wouldnt't be doing it. Sorry but I get confused when people post with poor logic and syntax. And I still need to know, can you count on having a 10 cent sale every 90 days?? Confused
For those who sell expensive items, the best way to save some moola is to cancel and relist them at the .10 rate. Bring up 2 pages, with one page you go in and drop the price below $1.00 and then with the other page you immediately end the listing. Then you go back and relist the item under sell simular at the .10 rate. Some sellers can save $4.95 an item doing this.

I have no idea about the other deal. I don't think you will get the .10 relist special. I'm 95% sure you won't. Hey, I could be wrong.
You can't do that no longer!
If you list an item that costs you 4.80 in fees....if you drop the price of this item to a lower fee level....you will NOT receive a refund of any kind.
Ebay use to give you credit for this but now they do not. I have written Ebay but they do not give a sensible answer back.
Many times I have started a listing at 49.00 and then 5 days later (if no bids) lowered it to 24.00 which always gave me a refund...not no more!
Please let me know if this has happenend to anyone else.
quote:
Originally posted by Magie Noire:
For those who sell expensive items, the best way to save some moola is to cancel and relist them at the .10 rate. Bring up 2 pages, with one page you go in and drop the price below $1.00 and then with the other page you immediately end the listing. Then you go back and relist the item under sell simular at the .10 rate. Some sellers can save $4.95 an item doing this.

I have no idea about the other deal. I don't think you will get the .10 relist special. I'm 95% sure you won't. Hey, I could be wrong.
This is not what this is actually saying.
The original post from Jeff says nothing about canceling an ongoing listing and relisting!
This would make no sense since Ebay no longer gives you credit for lowering your price of the auction.
The point of this originally was~~~~make up fake listings and cancel them right away. You can always make them up at a high price which would actually save you 4.70 if your item sells when relisting.
If you SELL 20 items at high prices within the 90 days, you are saving almost $100~~~40 items almost $200 and so on.......
The more that people respond to this subject...the more mixed up it gets!
I started doing this a few cheap listing days ago because something always went wrong and did not allow me to list as much as I had ready. Something always goes wrong on these days!
I do not list expensive items so it doesn't help me as much.
And who cares if Ebay has these 10 cent listing days every 90 days or not!!
Take advantage of it when they do!!!
Simple as that!
quote:
Originally posted by Roamer:
What the above post actually says is "you are building up credits at the 10 cent rate"..this sounds like after you have cancelled your 35 cent listings and later relisted them at the 10 cent rate, you will receive a credit of 10 cents!! I assume, if people have done this, that they are actually receiving the 35 cent credit for the original listing, otherwise they wouldnt't be doing it. Sorry but I get confused when people post with poor logic and syntax. And I still need to know, can you count on having a 10 cent sale every 90 days?? Confused
Last edited by pepedog
No, you cannot count on eBay doing it every 90 days. They do it when they feel like it and we never know more than a few hours in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by Roamer:
well i had to try this out for myself so i tried relisting one of my closed listings that i put up for 10 cents day and when I looked at fee before submitting it was back to original $2.40 price so I think ebay has gotten wise or maybe because that closed listing had a buyer or it was not closed in time. I suggest you test one out before going crazy listing a lot of empty listings.
quote:
Here is a dirty trick. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I've seen some big sellers do it and so far eBay has looked the other way.

It goes something like this... Create listings as quickly as you can at your normal prices. Then immediately after they start them you can end them early. Then you have 90 days to relist those auctions and they are relisted at the 10 cent price. If the item sells you've got your listing for 10 cents. If it doesnt sell I guess you pay the normal price, but that's no worse than you would have paid normally.

What some sellers do is create as many listings now as they'd normally launch in 3 months. Then over the 3 months they just use those relists to list the items. It's basically a way to get all your next 3 months worth of listings at the 10 cent price. Basically what you are doing is building up a huge pool of relist credits at the 10 cent rate.

Dirty, but so far it's allowed. Just be sure to end your items immediately after listing them. It's not fair to other sellers to muck up the search results with your empty listings.

If your a seller listing $500 items this could save you nearly $5 per item you list.

Some sellers are afraid that things like this may make eBay give up on 10 cent listing days. Others already hate them because their categories are filled with junk and their sell through rates suffer. Personally I think eBay already accounts for things like this happening when they fact in the cost of doing a day like this. I also think eBay isn't doing days like this out of the goodness of their heart. They're trying to either pump up their quarterly #'s or they're preplanning for a holiday when listing counts would otherwise drop by seeing th e site now with cheaper listings. In short these 10 cent listing days are needed to keep listing counts high and vital.
quote:
Originally posted by pepedog:
If you list an item that costs you 4.80 in fees....if you drop the price of this item to a lower fee level....you will NOT receive a refund of any kind.
Ebay use to give you credit for this but now they do not. I have written Ebay but they do not give a sensible answer back.
Many times I have started a listing at 49.00 and then 5 days later (if no bids) lowered it to 24.00 which always gave me a refund...not no more!
quote:

I've noticed it doesn't show up on the listing display as you edit it, like it use to BUT if you go into your seller's account, it will be credited there. At least, it does for me. I hope this helps.
If you posted extra items and left them running, you can edit them at any time until within 12 hours of their closing. There will not be any additional listing fees, regardless of the price change. That is, unless you add upgrades like gallery. Then you would be charged for those.

Example: I have two copies of a book. I listed both copies in separate auctions during the 10-cent day. I went in and changed the price on one of the books to $300. On the last of the revision pages, just before I had to cancel or submit the revision, it said 'there are no additional fees'.

If tomorrow I decide to sell one of my nice antiques, I can revise the whole auction from a book to an antique...change everything about the listing...and I will not incur any additional fees unless I choose new upgrades that weren't initally part of the auction.
Now, if you posted extra items and immediately stopped them:

You can use any one of those auctions to 'relist' an item. You don't have to list the same item. You can change everything and anything about the listing. You will be charged all the applicable fees.

HOWEVER, and this is where the savings come in, IF the item sells this time around, you will be credited back every penny you paid for the second listing. You will only be out the initial 10-cents.

The risk: If it doesn't sell, you're out the initial 10-cents + whatever other fees you paid the second time.

I am not making a statement on whether or not it is ethical or legal or within eBay's TOS, I'm just trying to clear up the confusion.
Look at Scholartimes response~~~they have explained this issue perfectly!
You WILL be charged the regular rate on a relist BUT IF the item sells...Ebay refunds this amount to you.
So you are actually paying 10 cents.
Also remember~~~if you change prices on your listing while the original 10 cent listing is on...you will not be charged more BUT you cannot do that on a relist.
You cannot charge more than your original price was or you will lose the relist credit.
But this is the way all relists are. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by vanman2usa:
well i had to try this out for myself so i tried relisting one of my closed listings that i put up for 10 cents day and when I looked at fee before submitting it was back to original $2.40 price so I think ebay has gotten wise or maybe because that closed listing had a buyer or it was not closed in time. I suggest you test one out before going crazy listing a lot of empty listings.
quote:

Thanks Maggie! I will check into this!
I wonder why they changed this....you should know what your refund is right away because it tells you how to read a credit at that same place.
I get mixed up on my sellers account! Too much to pay attention to but I do count the relist items each month to make sure they come up with the same number.
Thanks!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pepedog:
quote:

I've noticed it doesn't show up on the listing display as you edit it, like it use to BUT if you go into your seller's account, it will be credited there. At least, it does for me. I hope this helps.
This issue IS getting confusing!!
I don't think I'm confused though because I've been doing it for awhile and I know how it works...or doesn't.
I don't list big dollar items so it doesn't save me a lot but it helps.
If Ebay ever~~EVER~~cuts us off from doing this ...I am going to bitch my head off because I think there are other issues that they have "looked the other way at" that has to cost them much more money than this!
I am going to say what's on my mind and would like your opinion on this issue...hope your not one of these sellers...but nothing personal!

I think that the sellers who start their auctions at a penny~~~~~and charge a large..unjustified shipping fee should be stopped!
These people are making their money on the shipping and Ebay gets no percentage of that!
20 cents is what Ebay gets for the listing.
I know that Ebay makes money off of Paypal which is probably used for most of these sells but I just think this is wrong!
Sellers are selling vases for one penny and charging $40 to $50 for shipping.
In a way this also deceives the buyer.
I could go on but I think I have vented enough for now.
Have a nice weekend!
quote:
Now, if you posted extra items and immediately stopped them:

You can use any one of those auctions to 'relist' an item. You don't have to list the same item. You can change everything and anything about the listing. You will be charged all the applicable fees.

HOWEVER, and this is where the savings come in, IF the item sells this time around, you will be credited back every penny you paid for the second listing. You will only be out the initial 10-cents.

The risk: If it doesn't sell, you're out the initial 10-cents + whatever other fees you paid the second time.

I am not making a statement on whether or not it is ethical or legal or within eBay's TOS, I'm just trying to clear up the confusion.
Selling something at a very low cost and charging extremely high shipping is called fee circumvention and is against eBay's TOS. If reported, theoretically they might close the auction. Yeah, right! hahahaha

They were sure fast to end one of my auctions, though, last week. It was a dreaded TEACHER'S EDITION from the 70's. I truly doubt it's still in use in the public schools!!

eBay enforces what it feels like enforcing and they change their minds pretty frequently. Last week it was teacher's editions, this week it might be cap guns. Who knows!
BTW, I don't know if I'm 'one of those sellers'. Smile I charge a fair price for my items and I charge a handling fee that covers my expenses for supplies. I feel that is fair. My time and gas are not free.

I don't list extra items on 10-cent days that I don't have to sell. I don't list dummy auctions of any kind. I sell textbooks and I have 30 copies of each. So, on 10-cent day, I list 3 auctions for 10 of the books. Then, if I think of something I want to list instead, I will use one of those extra listings and revise it. I feel this is fair because I actually have the items if someone buys them all.

But, that's just how I do things. Smile
Does Ebay think that this book is still in use?
I did have a cap gun once that they ended but I see all kinds of guns on Ebay so I never did figure it out.
I know someone was having trouble listing a gun the other day (wouldn't launch) and Jeff told them that guns were not allowed but I got the same message from Ebay about Post Cards.
So if something doesn't launch from this site, I would try it again.
I know this is different than Ebay actually stopping a listing. I would find out why.?
I also have the merchandise which would fill all of my "fake listings" but never have the time to prepare for one of these days!
And then something always goes wrong and this is why I started listing dummy ads.
quote:
BTW, I don't know if I'm 'one of those sellers'. Smile I charge a fair price for my items and I charge a handling fee that covers my expenses for supplies. I feel that is fair. My time and gas are not free.

I don't list extra items on 10-cent days that I don't have to sell. I don't list dummy auctions of any kind. I sell textbooks and I have 30 copies of each. So, on 10-cent day, I list 3 auctions for 10 of the books. Then, if I think of something I want to list instead, I will use one of those extra listings and revise it. I feel this is fair because I actually have the items if someone buys them all.

But, that's just how I do things. Smile

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.