Skip to main content

Does the home dry cleaning Dryell stuff work to get rid of cigarette smell? The dry cleaner wants $5 apiece to dry clean 3 mens blazers. They were my dad's, and my mom gave them to me to try to sell. But obviously I can't list them when they stink of cigs. But I hate to spend $15 to get them dry cleaned, when I have no idea what I might end up getting for them if they sell. Tempted to try the Dryell - I looked at Target and they have it for just under $10. I wish they had a smaller size of it, though, like a "mini kit" with just a couple uses' worth in it.

Anyway...does it work?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've tried hanging the clothing outside for a day.

Also I put them in an enclosed box with wadded up newspapers and it would pull the smell out of the item.

I've used the Dryell as I had a great coupon for it. It worked for my sweaters but not on the blazer.

Whats the material and perhaps I can narrow down some natural cleaning method for you?

Good Luck,
Donna
This topic has been know to cause great debate but I can tell you you will never 100% completelty get the smell out no matter what!

So whatever method you use to clean the items plese make sure you state in your auction that they have been exposed to cig smoke but have since been cleaned.

This will cover your backside incase you get the grumpy shopper who negs you over the smell Roll Eyes
Oh yeah, I always say when I know it came from a smoker.

I could hang them outside, but I'm always afraid a bird is going to poop on stuff like that. Eek I guess I could chance it though. I do see that Walgreens right now has Dryel on sale for $7.99, which is a pretty good price. Plus I'll get a 5% rebate if I use my Citi card to buy it. Maybe I'll pick one up and see how that works after all. I suppose I can always use the rest of the Dryel's on my work clothes.

Actually I don't know WHAT the material is. I asked my mom if they were wool, and she said no, but didn't know what they were. They have a lining in them, and they were gotten at JC Penny because they have a label in them with the Penny name, but the only other tag in them is the one that says 'DRY CLEAN ONLY'. There's no tag anywhere that says what the material is. I'll probably end up taking them into my dry cleaner just to ask them what the material is.
Donna, your post mentioning the coupon made me try Dryel's website, and sure enuf they have a $2 coupon off a starter kit, which is what Walgreen's has for $7.99. So I printed a couple off and I'll use one today and pick up a starter kit for 5.99. Might as well give it a try at that price (plus my 5% rebate)! I'm glad you mentioned that or I probably wouldn't have thought to check the mfr. website. Smile
I personally like the Dryell, but how well it works depends on several things.
1) How strong the smoke smell is
2) What setting your dryer is on.
3) What the material is (I know you said unknown)
There are three things I do to prepare my clothing for listing. First, I hang it on my back porch for a couple of days (yes, it is screened in). Then I use the dryell.Finally, I use Fabreez on the item. Since I have done these things, I have not had any complaints. I do not state " From a smoking House" or "From a Smoke free home". Other sellers I have spoken with say that their sells have dropped when saying both. I leave it as Please ask any questions you may have. Yes, I do have several people ask if my item are from a smoke free environment. My answer is always, "I cannot guarantee my items to be from a smoke free environment. I purxhase items used and thus cannot say what environment they were in prior to my purchasing them." I tell them what lengths I have gone to, to ensure their freshness, but never make any guarnatee, because my sniffer may not be as sensitive as other peoples. Anyway, I didnt mean to get off on all of that, just make some suggestions for getting them smelling fresh. Fabreez works much better than Dryell in my opinion. I have stated spaying my items with it before ironing them. The heat from the iron really seems to seal in the fresh scent.
quote:
Originally posted by mar30:
Donna, your post mentioning the coupon made me try Dryel's website, and sure enuf they have a $2 coupon off a starter kit, which is what Walgreen's has for $7.99. So I printed a couple off and I'll use one today and pick up a starter kit for 5.99. Might as well give it a try at that price (plus my 5% rebate)! I'm glad you mentioned that or I probably wouldn't have thought to check the mfr. website. Smile

I was just going to search for a discount coupon online or coupon code and look at you!

I use them for my clothing...I don't smoke so I've never tried them on clothing to see if it worked on the smell.

How did it go?
<smile>
Donna
They smell like 'smoke' because they have residual nicotine on them. You have to remove this if you're going to get rid of or lessen the stench. Unless they're really 'in demand' brand names it might not be worth the trouble. With all of the competition and choices to choose from, why would someone buy a 'smokers' blazer? That is, unless they're 'in demand' brand names. Not trying to rain on your parade. Just giving you something to consider.
I know...but my mom asked me to try to sell them. I doubt they'll sell, but I decided to list them together as 1 lot, 1 time. If they sell, great. If they don't, I'll donate them.

I hung them outside Saturday to air them out a bit. They smell better already just doing that. I'll probably do that a couple more days. Then I'll try the Dryell and see how it works after air-freshening them.
quote:
I know...but my mom asked me to try to sell them. I doubt they'll sell, but I decided to list them together as 1 lot, 1 time. If they sell, great. If they don't, I'll donate them.

Good luck with the sales and you just never know what will happen. Perhaps a smoker will buy them and be pleased as peaches.

I just clicked on your ME page..you and your husband are a beautiful couple. You made me tear up with your fathers pic. My father is older and lost a leg due to diabetes complications and has ongoing heart and kidney failure. I bless every day that I have with him. I normally call him four times a week (he's not in my city) and today is one of "our" mornings but it isn't till 9:00am. (he likes knowing that I call at 9:00) But after reading your sweet words, I called right then earlier than our normal time and surprized him.

Good Luck,
Donna
Thanks Donna. My dad was diabetic for about 30 years. The past couple years he had problems with his legs and had also lost a lot of weight. With his long-time smoking (60 years) I was sure he had cancer, but now think he had chronic kidney failure. He had multiple chest xrays taken during his hospitalization and there was no cancer anywhere. So many of the things that occured are symptoms of CKF - unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite, irritability (more than usual), etc. He also got cellulitis on his legs about 2 years ago and ended up going to the hospital for 6 month for physical therapy. When his legs finally had healed I made him promise to see a doctor if he got those "blisters" on his legs again. He said he would becuase he didn't want to go thru that P.T. again. But he did get the cellulitis again and he WOULD NOT go to the doctor - thought he could treat it at home. Well, the one litte thing he didn't think of (or wouldn't listen to from my mom) was that the first time he had to take 2 rounds of antibiotics as cellulitis is caused by a bacteria. The second time when he treated it at home, he never got those antibiotics. The cellulitis ended up turning into gangrene in one of his toes. To make a long story short, by the time he went to the doctor (I went up there and MADE him go), he got sent directly to the hospital, and the gangrene infection in his toe had by then spread into some other tissue in his foot, and into the bone. So they amputed the toe and bone leading up to it, but by then his kidneys started failing (they think due to the infection) and they never turned around after the surgery. Ultimate cause of death: Kidney Failure caused by osteomylitis caused by Diabetes Mellitus. Frown He died exactly one month after his birthday this year, on February 19. Still seems like yesterday.
quote:
Thanks Donna. My dad was diabetic for about 30 years. The past couple years he had problems with his legs and had also lost a lot of weight. With his long-time smoking (60 years) I was sure he had cancer, but now think he had chronic kidney failure. He had multiple chest xrays taken during his hospitalization and there was no cancer anywhere. So many of the things that occured are symptoms of CKF - unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite, irritability (more than usual), etc. He also got cellulitis on his legs about 2 years ago and ended up going to the hospital for 6 month for physical therapy. When his legs finally had healed I made him promise to see a doctor if he got those "blisters" on his legs again. He said he would becuase he didn't want to go thru that P.T. again. But he did get the cellulitis again and he WOULD NOT go to the doctor - thought he could treat it at home. Well, the one litte thing he didn't think of (or wouldn't listen to from my mom) was that the first time he had to take 2 rounds of antibiotics as cellulitis is caused by a bacteria. The second time when he treated it at home, he never got those antibiotics. The cellulitis ended up turning into gangrene in one of his toes. To make a long story short, by the time he went to the doctor (I went up there and MADE him go), he got sent directly to the hospital, and the gangrene infection in his toe had by then spread into some other tissue in his foot, and into the bone. So they amputed the toe and bone leading up to it, but by then his kidneys started failing (they think due to the infection) and they never turned around after the surgery. Ultimate cause of death: Kidney Failure caused by osteomylitis caused by Diabetes Mellitus. Frown He died exactly one month after his birthday this year, on February 19. Still seems like yesterday.

Well, now you did it. I'm all teared up here. I've sent strength your way...and I stopped to send thanks for sending us such great men that raised us.

Take care,
Donna
Thank you.

Just make sure that your dad, or ANYONE you know who has diabetes, goes to the dang doctor when something isn't right. My dad was always Mr. Stubborn, and that stubbornness ultimately was the end of him. Nothing we said or did - I was even crying on the phone to him at one point - would convince him to go to the doctor if he didn't think he had to. But once he was finally in the hospital, he was the model patient. Unfortunately by that time it was too late and the infection had gotten into his system. Diabetes is NOT something to fool around with. During those 2 weeks I learned more about Type II Diabetes than I ever wanted to know...

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.