Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the answer but I know I CAN use it, I am trying to find out if its a good idea. And what about "best offer"?? I would like to hear from other store sellers on which payment method attracts the most buyers in the store format. I like checks and money orders but hate waiting for them, its so easy to forget to send it. Roll Eyes
Yes, you can use best offer. It's your store.

Yes, you can use immediate payment required.

Yes, I 100% agree with Michelle, it's a hassle to the buyer and it doesn't matter whether you're using ebay checkout or Auctiva or you handle it yourself...because......

When your customer HAS to/is REQUIRED to stop and pay for each item as they buy it...that means the item plus shipping costs, they can't very well stop buy 2 or plus items and then combine it to receive the shipping combo price. Or wait to combine shipping because payment is required immediately before they can buy another item they have to COMPLETELY pay for the first one.

I know, I had to do immediate payment required once and it's a pain in the patoot. I don't like it because it keeps most buyers from buying more than one item.

Take care, Donna
To clarify my thoughts...

Yes, Donna, you got it. As a buyer, if there are 2 items a seller has & they require payment immediately, but offer combined shipping only if paid in one invoice, I don't think the seller actually thought that out. A buyer would have to pay for each item, thru eBay (I don't use this checkout), individually. This means no combined shipping for the buyer & the seller is hit with 2 paypal fees & a ticked off buyer that thought you offered combined shipping, but because you require immediate payment, you can't get the combined shipping. It just doesn't make sense.

Unless I only want one item from a seller, I move on. Think about this... maybe I see a $200 comforter that I want to snatch up today, but I won't have enough in paypal until 5 days from now, you loose my business. If I decide to take the item & paypal debits my credit card for what I don't have in paypal, you are charged more for the credit card charge.

I have sold a long time on eBay & can offer a few wise words of advice... be as flexible as you can be, within reason. Doesn't mean bend over & take it from unresponsible buyers, but be flexible. Too many limitations upfront scare off buyers & this includes the good ones, like me. If I see too much negative non-paying language or threats in an ad, I pass you by. I personally use paypal, but there are many buyers who don't trust the company or the internet. A seller cuts there own throat, lowers bids & sell-thru ratios the more limitations they impose on buyers. Same with International shipping. I love International bidders. I love unconfirmed buyers that ship to a gift location as well. I can count on one hand out of over 10,000 (much higher actually) paypal transactions, the number of chargebacks I have had. The benefits of being flexible far outweight the negatives.

It doesn't matter what format you sell on eBay, one rule applies, K.I.S.S. Simply...More equals more. Offer MORE flexibility & your revenue will increase, inevitably!
quote:
Originally posted by attire4less:

I have sold a long time on eBay & can offer a few wise words of advice... be as flexible as you can be, within reason.
It doesn't matter what format you sell on eBay, one rule applies, K.I.S.S. Simply...More equals more. Offer MORE flexibility & your revenue will increase, inevitably!

Zactly!
Just like Michelle, I've been selling a long time, since 97 and through trial and error..I've learned that the K.I.S.S. is THE best way to do business online.

Much Green Wished Your Way,
Donna
I don't use teh Immediate Payment. I do use the Best Offer feature. Sometimes I like it. Sometimes, I don't. You will get some very unreasonable offers like $0.99 for $15.00 items. But it is easy enough to hit decline and move on. Other times you will get more reasonable offers like $13.00 for a $15.00 item. If your item has a little bit of flexibility, it can be a good feature.
quote:
Originally posted by weborglodge:
My thought has always been to make it as easy as possible for someone to give me money. If that means waiting a day or two for payment that's fine with me.

Chris

Excuse me for hijacking this thread but I HAD to let you know that your paintings are gorgeous. I was amazed at the paintings that are the size of a penny!!!

Back to your discussion.

Take care, Donna
quote:
Originally posted by weborglodge:
My thought has always been to make it as easy as possible for someone to give me money. If that means waiting a day or two for payment that's fine with me.

Chris

I dont like the hassel of money orders (no personal checks) either. However, a sale is a sale. I'll take the money order. For the most part, the money order buyers give me the greatest problems. So, I've also thought about PayPal only. With that said, I'm still accepting money orders.
So far, I accept it all. Pay Pal, money orders, personal checks. I hate the wait time involved with the last two. But one can cash postal money orders right at the post office. So that helps. I get very few checks or money orders. Once in awhile cash arrives in the mail. But truly, I believe between the fees of Ebay and PayPal--I don't know...They both charge me to use their services and then take a chunk out of my sale.

I was having major issues with buyers and combined shipping. Some were almost literally hitting PayPal for every transaction and expecting combined shipping. I don't charge much of anything for shipping, so this was killing me. Now, if they hit that Pay Now button before they've completed all their bidding or shopping, I will refund the extra shipping cost, but minus the PayPal transaction fee of 30 cents.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.