Skip to main content

I had to go out and run errands for hubbys business today. I come home and grab my mail and there is a thing from DCF (dept. children and families) and a note to call when I get home! I get in the door get all the kids settled and call her. She says they got an "anonymous" report that my 2 year old was out in the road playing! First, we live on a private road... the road is a right of way that is actually our "front yard". Secondly, my almost 3 year old was not outside as we got up, got breakfast and then went out for errands all day. I guess the "anonymous" person called our state troopers office (no town police here) and I was already gone by the time they came here. No duh...we got up, ate and left!
Now... we have my IL's on one side of our house. The other house is a town 'constable' (aka part time cop) and his wife and 4 kids. If my son did go outside himself, this guy would come in our face and make a stink about it,he is that type. So that leaves the people in front of our house who actually live on the street in front of ours. Thats who we totally believe it is.
These are the jerks who were lighting burn barrel fires all the time and we got them shut down by the town fire marshall. They cant have a fire AT ALL! They told our tenant they would do whatever they could to put us through hell because they cant have their fire anymore. Now, they are ALWAYS outside, even in pouring rain. Now, today it was nice and they were home but would NOT come outside!
My MIL came over so we could make sure the house is spotless and when she left with her mop, the neighbor gave her the look of death. They are just acting too weird. If it was a lady who called, it had to have been her. I know the trooper who took the call, I played softball with her for a few years.
So now I have freakin DCF on our backs (visit tomorrow at 9am) because these people are pissed they cant have a fire anymore. We did it for our kids health, nothing personal! We will be filing charges for filing a false complaint when we find out who did it.
Sorry to rant but I am furious that some *ss lied to try and get us in trouble! ~Steph
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yikes!

Steph I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. And your kids too, its not fair to them to be drug into this Frown

Luckly for me we have decent neighbors who I know would talk to us personally if they felt there was a problem. The people who built the house next door are older and their kids are grown. He is a minister and they have told us how happy they are to have us for neighbors and they look forward to many years of watching my boys grow up!

Hugs Smile
quote:
Originally posted by megnsamsgrace:
We will be filing charges for filing a false complaint when we find out who did it.

Sorry to rant but I am furious that some *ss lied to try and get us in trouble! ~Steph

Rant away..I don't mind. Venting is good.

Good Luck, on finding out who reported you to CPS. I hope it works out for you.

During my weekly tutoring of a child in my son's class 15+ years ago..you really get to know these children after being there week after week after week.

After a few months, this child began quietly opening up and telling me of things that happened in their home that didn't settle well with me.

I sought out the teacher first and during my discussion I offered to report to CPS. We went to the principal together and we jointly decided the school should be the ones to report with my signature confirming the conversations. The school didn't report anonymously though.

My understanding at that time was that CPS could not divulge the source if it was an anonymous call.

Laws I'm sure have changed in the many years since then.

If you have any connections in that area, such as social workers, give them a call, you never know what info might fall into their hands while looking through files.

Good Luck Steph!
Donna
Case closed! Man... I am FURIOUS at whoever pulled this crap! First, the call went to the POLICE at 4pm on Friday. We were gone. I even went and got my receipt from Burger King proving it. We went to go look at a Suburban we are buying and it started to downpour so I pulled into Burger King to wait out the storm. So the receipt went into "evidence". Secondly, she said the report came in that a child in DIAPERS was the one in the road. Well, JR has been in underpants for the past 4 months!.
So the caseworker talked to Mark and I together, then separate (any domestic violence). And then each of the kids separately. She said there is no evidence that this occured and closed the case!
I am waiting for a return call from the sargeant so we can pursue what we need to for whoever made a false report. My kids didnt need to be drug through the mud because someone wants to get back at us for not allowing them to have a fire! UGHHHHH THanks for the thoughts, I was so upset over this!
Steph
I'm glad its over and done but still not a good thing for the kids to have to deal with. That's what makes me so mad with cases like this, the people doing the damage are trying to hurt the adults but in the end it is the children who get hurt Frown

When we first got married we lived in an appartment and two of the girls were single young mothers who didn't get along. One called DCF on the other and it keep going back and forth they kept calling on each other.

When adults act like children no one wins!
quote:
Originally posted by megnsamsgrace:
Case closed! Man... I am FURIOUS at whoever pulled this crap! First, the call went to the POLICE at 4pm on Friday. We were gone. I even went and got my receipt from Burger King proving it. We went to go look at a Suburban we are buying and it started to downpour so I pulled into Burger King to wait out the storm. So the receipt went into "evidence". Secondly, she said the report came in that a child in DIAPERS was the one in the road. Well, JR has been in underpants for the past 4 months!.
So the caseworker talked to Mark and I together, then separate (any domestic violence). And then each of the kids separately. She said there is no evidence that this occured and closed the case!
I am waiting for a return call from the sargeant so we can pursue what we need to for whoever made a false report. My kids didnt need to be drug through the mud because someone wants to get back at us for not allowing them to have a fire! UGHHHHH THanks for the thoughts, I was so upset over this!
Steph

Find out who it is, don't take 'no' for an answer. Have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I know, I would.

Keep us updated.
Sorry I havent been around to update but I finally got a couple of answers. I finally reached the state trooper who responded to the call. According to her, she KNOWS the person that stopped into the police station. She has a name, the DCF complaint came in anonymously though. But both reports were the exact same. The person STOPPED into the police station (okay, so you see a child near the road playing and "move" them into the yard and then drive to the police station WITHOUT bringing the child to the parent??????), and told the office to come HERE to check out a child outside in a diaper only playing near the road. Well WTF? We werent home, who the heck are you reporting? Secondly, we live on a private street... so why are you trespassing on our property?
My DCF caseworker is away on vacation. I spoke to her supervisor on Friday and said because there is a name given at the police station, I want an investigation done so charges can be brought for filing a false complaint. NOW... my question is this...
We have a house thats at the end of our street... but its not on our street, its on the main road that we are off of. They have an apartment and one guy (they are early 20s) has a young child. Now, the notice was left in MY box but what if DCF did that because they didnt have any other children that live here? I never thought to ask if the complaint came in against us.... we are the only ones with young kids, so did DCF just assume this? Or did the complaint specifically state "Stephanie Gardner"? I ask because the state trooper said that it was a "passerbyer". We have an attorney friend of ours from church who is going to take our case if we decide to go after DCF to expunge the records and after whoever this complainer is.
I wasnt even home with my kids and now I have a file at DCF for NO freakin reason? Cmon now!
I have to wait until I think she said Friday of this week for my caseworker to return. But I am not letting this go. This was not an anonymous report and I want to know who the heck is lying like this!
Steph
maybe DCF simply went to the wrong house? Maybe person that complained was complaining about the apt. people and they gave DCF addy of the intersection where your road meets main road, and DCF went down the road to your house?

Or maybe young child was out by itself and wandered down the road towards your house and thus it was assumed the kid belonged to your house? I know when I was 3 and 4 i'd wander fairly far from the house (lived out in country). Dunno about when was younger (dont remember that far back Wink )
Steve, thats what I want to know. If it was a miscommunication with DCF, then I want this file expunged asap. If someone DID say it was us and the complaint came in against us, then thats where I will pursue legal action. If it was a misunderstanding or such, and our names were not given, then there is no reason for them to have a file. It stinks because I have to wait for the caseworker to return to get copies of the reports.
This is where DCF needs to focus their attention:

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/070406/pb1.htm?d...070406&story=pb1.htm

A Port Charlotte man was arrested Sunday after his 2-year-old child was found crying in the middle of Midway Boulevard.

Alvin Eugene Martin, 23, 2135 Zerby St., was charged with child neglect.

According to a report, around 7:30 p.m., a woman was driving down Midway Boulevard near Zerby Street when she saw a small child standing in the middle of the road, crying. The child was wearing only a diaper and a T-shirt.

The woman got out of her car, picked the child up and tried to console him. Another passerby also stopped and called 9-1-1.

Frown
Okay, I spoke to our caseworker. She said that she is filing it as an "unsubstantiated" claim. I said I want my records "expunged". She said they do that after some time in case of custody battles or something. Ummm hello? We are happily married and that should have been clear when she was there. The report came in with my name and address, not mentioning my kids name. She said she has 45-60 days to file this and then I can request a copy of my file.

I said I wanted to press charges for a false police report. She said she only had one other case of this and in that one, the state police went to her and requested the information.
Okay, so does anyone know how I go about this? Do I have to go to the police and press charges? The call to the hotline was recorded and the same person gave their name to the state police. Cant this call to DCF hotline be subpoena? Or do I have to hire an attorney to do this for me?
Where do I go from here? Steph
Steph,

I don't know anything about this stuff at all, but I know that I would be furious as he$$ if I were in your shoes.

My question, though, is - how does this affect your record, etc? Does this prevent you from being able to do anything, does it hurt you or your family in any way aside from the emotional factor?

If it is purely emotional, then I may be inclined to let it go.

It sounds as if someone did this as a stupid prank, in revenge, to "get you back." If this is the case, they are essentially "winning" while you spend you energy and time trying to get this file deleted.

However, if this report will do anything besides harm you emotionally, I'd be inclined to go to a lawyer for some advice. Although the state is going to have to cough up those records that say who reported you, and that stuff may be kept confidential... hard to say.
First, I meant press charges for filing a false DCF claim and not a false police report.. as I stated above.

Cake... there is a file that stays with DCF. As far as I know, it stays there. Yes, it says that its an unsubstantiated claim but there is still a file. Thats my concern. I dont want a DCF file on me even if it is a false report. There is no need for it. A friend of mine said it stays there for 3 years. I dont know what value it holds if any.
Steph

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.