Skip to main content

Hi, wanted to say thanks in advance to everyone here who always take time to help others with their issues. I guess that is why I feel comfortable asking stupid questions without being judged and know that I always get the right answer. Can someone explain to me (the combined shipping impaired) exactly the best way to combine shipping and perhaps suggest pricing? ***My most important question being this: I generally sell baby/childrens clothing with most items being able to ship 1st class. I offer 1st class, parcel post, and prioirty and offer discount as highest ship price + $1 for each add item (excluding lots). When someone purchases 3 or 4 items and it obviously cannot go 1st class..am I supposed to charge the highest ship price from 1st class or parcel post before I add the $1 per item fee? I also offer the 8.95 flatrate and do not charge the $1 per item when this is used but a lot of customers do not want to pay the flatrate and I charge actual and do not want to overcharge on shipping. Lastly I offer promo free ship on $50+. The ebay calculator & checkout doesnt calculate correctly. In my listings I have the combine and promo both checked. What ebay settings and auctiva settings should I use..such as combine weight? If anyone understands this please help! Any help,comments, or criticism is very much appreciated. Thanks from the shipping challenged.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi,

I can't answer anything about calculated shipping (it's always been a problem for me) but maybe I can help a little bit...YES you're doing it right - highest shipping cost, and then add on the extra cost for add'l items. I sell clothing too, and I charge 4.95 to ship first class. However, I frequently have buyers with multiple wins and my add'l item price is also a dollar. So when I weigh the items, if it comes up over 13 oz I just automatically upgrade to Priority. I haven't lost anything and the buyer is happy they got their package so quickly. I usually end up with about a dollar handling fee for myself which works out fine.

I found out long ago it's better (at least in my case) not to offer too many shipping options...shipping parcel post can be excruciatingly slow and alot of buyers are unaware of that, they're just looking at the least expensive shipping prices. (and most of the time there's only a dime or so difference) So for now, I just ship first class OR priority,but I do not offer the options. My auctions are all listed as First Class (as long as weight allows)

It does take a little time to get the hang of shipping prices etc. but you will Smile
OH MY! Eek

Have you picked a difficult subject. I've struggled with the combined shipping for years. With the new DSR Ratings, it's even more important to get good shipping prices that don't get you the nasty low stars. On charging, I always attempt to make sure my charge for S&H is at or lower than the actual cost. Yes, I do sometimes lose a little on S&H, but it's also a competitive market. I keep a spreadsheet for running total and averages on the shipping materials, etc., to see if I'm hitting goal.

Perhaps my best response is, see what others do in their auctions/BINs.

I'm doing some similar USPS combined with books using Media/1st/Priority, including some basing of Priority on the Flat Rate Box. However, I VERY CAREFULLY explain my shipping costs and INVOICE combined sales to get the numbers correct. That's due to limitations on containers and book sizes for packing. People love my fast ship and very protective packing methods, so that helps too. At least my DSRs seem to agree with the methods.

You can look at the language I'm using on my auctions for ideas. Just click on my store link.

Did you know USPS is raising the rates again IN MAY?!!!!!

Danno
Hi, thanks so much for the help...I have noticed the dime difference so I usaully upgrade to prioirty. Does the fact that you charge 4.95 for 1st class affect your DSR feedback? Just curious. Thanks again!
quote:
Originally posted by member_8880:
Hi,

I can't answer anything about calculated shipping (it's always been a problem for me) but maybe I can help a little bit...YES you're doing it right - highest shipping cost, and then add on the extra cost for add'l items. I sell clothing too, and I charge 4.95 to ship first class. However, I frequently have buyers with multiple wins and my add'l item price is also a dollar. So when I weigh the items, if it comes up over 13 oz I just automatically upgrade to Priority. I haven't lost anything and the buyer is happy they got their package so quickly. I usually end up with about a dollar handling fee for myself which works out fine.

I found out long ago it's better (at least in my case) not to offer too many shipping options...shipping parcel post can be excruciatingly slow and alot of buyers are unaware of that, they're just looking at the least expensive shipping prices. (and most of the time there's only a dime or so difference) So for now, I just ship first class OR priority,but I do not offer the options. My auctions are all listed as First Class (as long as weight allows)

It does take a little time to get the hang of shipping prices etc. but you will Smile
Hi Danno, thanks much for the input! Very nice store by the way. My DSR's are 4.9, 4.9, 4.7, 4.8 and 100% fb...not bad I guess...although when I sell books and videos/dvds I do notice whenever I use media mail I get lower raring on ship time yet when I use 1st class I get lower ratings on price...I guess you can't really win! I was aware of the postal change...kinda like feebay...higher prices & less service...although I do like the new flatrate box, just not the price. Thanks again for the help!
quote:
Originally posted by dleckington:
OH MY! Eek

Have you picked a difficult subject. I've struggled with the combined shipping for years. With the new DSR Ratings, it's even more important to get good shipping prices that don't get you the nasty low stars. On charging, I always attempt to make sure my charge for S&H is at or lower than the actual cost. Yes, I do sometimes lose a little on S&H, but it's also a competitive market. I keep a spreadsheet for running total and averages on the shipping materials, etc., to see if I'm hitting goal.

Perhaps my best response is, see what others do in their auctions/BINs.

I'm doing some similar USPS combined with books using Media/1st/Priority, including some basing of Priority on the Flat Rate Box. However, I VERY CAREFULLY explain my shipping costs and INVOICE combined sales to get the numbers correct. That's due to limitations on containers and book sizes for packing. People love my fast ship and very protective packing methods, so that helps too. At least my DSRs seem to agree with the methods.

You can look at the language I'm using on my auctions for ideas. Just click on my store link.

Did you know USPS is raising the rates again IN MAY?!!!!!

Danno
You're welcome lex

Did everyone get the 1 cent list fee promotion message today? And, did you see the qualified statement about shipping and DSRs? Here's the nitty-gritty....

From March 25 through March 31, sellers who list Auction-style item(s) with a starting price between $0.01 and $0.99, have Shipping charges specified and have a Detailed Seller Rating of 4.5 or higher on all criteria, will pay a 1¢ Insertion Fee per item listed. New sellers who don’t yet have DSR ratings are also eligible. DSR rating criteria for this promotion will be based on the previous 12 months. To see your DSR ratings, go to your Feedback Profile within My eBay. For more information on DSRs, click here.Please refer to "What's Excluded?" for more details.

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/startlow08/

Danno
Hi Danno, yes I did see that! Hmmm...think ebay is reconsidering their position with sellers?? I, myself have gotten 2 mailing, 2 phonecalls, and an email from ebay trying to stir up business. I was glad to see the .01 lisiting fee although it wouldnt have killed them to do it for free. I have had very good luck lately with .99 start auctions, most being bid up for more than the BIN option attached to it...go figure! Thanks for the update, Suzanne
Hi lexix,
As far as the DSRs, with about 200+ in each one, they are all 4.9 except for shipping cost...that one varies between 4.8 and 4.7.
But last summer when I was a poweseller I offered free shipping for months and it was still the same...go figure, huh?!

>> I have a couple friends who only sell free digital delivery items...NO charge at all for shipping, ever. Their stars are just like mine Smile Most buyers don't really know the difference....

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.