Skip to main content

Okay. I've wondered about this for a while and would like to know how others view it, even if you make your living selling on ebay and don't want to necessarily put it down (even if that's the thing to do these days). Does anyone notice that the same items found on ebay going for big bucks are often the same or very similar items you find at the local antique or thrift store over and over again and for little money. I mean certainly there's much more available out there that you will never find in such stores and certainly there are rarer and many more items that ebay can offer.

But for instance an antique or thrift store can have old tin cans, glass, collectibles, etc. They can be bought for just a few dollars and have a fancy listing built around them and a world of potential bidders and the item is often sold for much more than the seller paid. I know this is probably why many refer to ebay as epay, greedbay, etc. I realize it can be good no matter what you think, you will usually get more for your product than anywhere else, so as a seller it may be hard to complain.

Someone on another board I view mentioned that most stuff sold on ebay is the same 'junk' that you couldn't sell in person, but will sell for big bucks on ebay. Hence, the poster ended with, there are no deals on ebay. So what do ya'll think about this or does anyone care?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree with you Wes, I have been selling on eBay now for over 10 years and I sell a LOT of things I have seen that are very similar to items I seen in Antique shops. I buy from Estate Sales and garage sales for the most part. It never fails that things I buy go on eBay for for 50 to 25% less than Antique shops are asking. Of course they do have a much higher overhead but never-the-less folks are getting very good deals on eBay, especially in the line of items you would run across in shops.
Antique shops are not, for the most part very happy with eBay, because people are starting to realize this.
Now its more a matter of status to say, Oh yes I bought that at Ye Olde Towne Antique Store for 1000.00, rather than wow, I got this on eBay for $25.00.
Of course things can go the exact opposite way, but the way I see it, if you have nice vintage and antique's to sell eBay is the only decent game in town, the fee are not outrageous. Just try and consign something in a Antique Store, I have had them as for any where from 40-70%, just to stick something on their floor and write a receipt if and when it sells.
I am happy, I have met a lot of very nice individuals, I have supplemented my Social security as that is my entire pension, and I have had fun doing it. Sometimes things don't go exactly like you would want them to but that's life. I just wish I could get the price the antique Stores do----or are they just sitting on shelves for years with a high price tag on them---makes you wonder.
As for me, until I feel I am losing money I think I will stick around and be happy somebody came up with the eBay concept---maybe whine a little cause it was not me!
Hi Wes M, the term "GreedBay" refers to the corporate greed of eBay used to wring sellers dry witrh fees, DSR's, unequal feedback, and summary execution of livelihood with canned mails. All done to maximise shareholders profit without the slightest concern about their (eBay's) true customers - the sellers, buyers are actually the sellers customers.

It's the sellers who pay eBay not the buyers.

Probably why my sales and others sellers sales are picking up on other sites now Smile
quote:
Originally posted by ChooChooGuy:
Hi Wes M, the term "GreedBay" refers to the corporate greed of eBay used to wring sellers dry witrh fees, DSR's, unequal feedback, and summary execution of livelihood with canned mails. All done to maximise shareholders profit without the slightest concern about their (eBay's) true customers - the sellers, buyers are actually the sellers customers.

It's the sellers who pay eBay not the buyers.

Probably why my sales and others sellers sales are picking up on other sites now Smile

I agree 100%.
As ebay raises their fees at leaves the seller little choice and they must also raise the price on their products. This open the door to find the very same product on another site cheaper. Many people are leaving ebay and I just happen to be one of those people. I am Done with the dictatorship called Feebay!
I have found it both ways - yesterday I was at an estate auction where items sold for more than I could have sold them for on Ebay.

Generally I look for box lots of items that I can pick up for cheap, and I list for very low prices. I rarely list an item for more than 99 cents.

I do allow some items go for much less than they are worth, but I give everyone a chance to bid.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.