Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While I agree with about 98% of your post, I don't with a couple points.

While I agree with your using Post Office boxes, they don't have anything that fits a lot of what I sell, and flat rate can be more expensive than parcel post. Not a good way to keep those shipping costs down.

I also disagree with using only new boxes. As long as the ones you use are clean and not all banged up, people aren't going to judge you on which box you used. And if they are, nothing you can do will make them happy. Use a recycled box, but make sure it's clean and that you pack your item well.

And last (I guess it's 3), most people aren't going to give you 5 stars because you give them a pen. They want what they ordered, in the condition that it was listed in. Will I buy something of yours again because you gave me a pen? Nope. Only reason to reorder from someone is because they have something I want, at a price I like, who sent my item promptly, and was shipped to arrive in the condition it was advertised.
some good points but others complete nonsense - for those sellers using UPS, clean solid used boxes are the only way to go. U-Line is not cheap and is a waste of money with all the fine clean used boxes available. Also, I have been packing 12 years and virtually always use newspaper with lots of cushion room and bubble wrap for the very breakable stuff. Styro pellets float around the box and most are so magnetized they make a terrible mess sticking to everything as you unpack your item. I sell 25/40 items every week on Ebay and buy around 4/6 for myself and believe me I do not want a free pen from anyone.
some nice ideas in theory. i completely disagree with the payment policy. you can not go into target and tell them you are making a commitment to buy something but not pay for it at that time and expect it to still be there tomorrow. why should ebay be any different? i am sick of nonpaying buyers and if a buyer has not paid within 72 hours (which i find to be ridiculously long) they most likely are not going to pay. as for your service ideas, people buying on ebay are not paying nordstrom prices so i do not feel i need to be giving them nordstrom service. i agree with replying to emails, but if you want your shirt wrapped in nice wrapping with a nice little note then order it from nordstrom. the way i see it, you can buy it from me for 1/4 of the price at nordstrom and get it delivered promptly in a plastic envelope with a paypal shipping label or you can pay full retail price and get some nice wrapping and a receipt or note. as a buyer, i would rather pay less and i certainly would not care how it was wrapped as long as it was shipped promptly and as described.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except in one instance. RE using a new box. I re-use boxes. However, I don't send out "decrepit" boxes. They have to be in good shape, no holes, bends, tears, etc. I also re-use bubblewrap and foam popcorn, but again, it has to be clean and in good shape.

I also, and this is a pet peeve, wrap intelligently. I don't overwrap and RARELY, if ever, use tape on bubblewrap. Once an item is wrapped in bubblewrap and placed in its nest of popcorn, it isn't going anywhere. There's little need to tape it so that the receiver needs to use a sharp object to pry it out of its cocoon. It makes my blood boil when I get an item thoroughly wrapped in tape over the entire thing! It's also a waste of time and money on the part of the seller!

I've never had a complaint about used boxes or wrapping; and the majority of my customers are repeat customers. My feedback is 100% positive and DSRs are 3 4.9s and one 4.8.

I put two business cards in my packages. One is a thank you; the other gives the Buyer my other locations.

They keep coming back so I figure I'm doing something right!
I agree with Buckarooblue. Most of the items I sell are very small, tiny in fact. I use clean recycled tiny boxes placed in new manilla envelopes to ship my items. Most buyers prefer not to ship priority and with tiny items that weigh 1 to 11 ounces my buyers prefer to ship 1st class and 1st class international. The U.S.P.S. only provides free boxes in larger sizes than I use for priority only.

I did invest in a very good camera with Macro but it is not cost effective to go out and buy special lights to take photos unless you are in the group top selling stores and can afford to spend that kind of money.

I use a flash in darkness. I don't turn on any extra lights just aim and take the photo with a flash unless of course the item has a shiny surface. I use fabric for my backgrounds, nothing with a busy pattern.

I do not agree with the pen theory. You get repeat business if you provide correct and accurate listings and descriptions. I have seen too many businesses give away freebies only to go into debt and close. The idea of having an online store is to make money and in this economic climate most people selling right now are doing so because someone in the household is unemployed.

I feel this might be a good plus if the whole picture economic climate and retail sales were up but you have to be careful once you begin a practice customers will expect it for ever.

These are some of the changes I have made to save $$ my still offering a enjoyable buying experience and many don't cost you a dime:

1). I make my packages fun to open, by that I mean I wrap items in colored tissue that I buy when it is on sale.

2). I have a one day a week shipping day, but should I get a chance to ship early I always take advantage of it and e-mail the buyer a short note that I was able to ship their items early between shifts at work. I let them know I may not always be able to do this but when an opportunity arises I will take advantage of it. They remember this.

3). Anytime I ship anything I put a business card that I have made myself using sheets of cardstock and a little creative effort. You can purchase a ream of cardstock for $10 at any office supply and I just cut them out as I need them.

4). I use the customizable e-mail templates that eBay offers but I tweek them a bit to make them more personalized to my business.

5). I offer most classes of shipping from 1st class on up, as people are pinching pennies now days.

6). Even though I work 5 double shifts a week and 2 single shifts I check my messages twice a day to answer any questions.

Some of your ideas are good but I feel that there are similar, less expensive things you can do in these tough economic times to get the same results.

DJ
quote:
Originally posted by Buckarooblues:
While I agree with about 98% of your post, I don't with a couple points.

While I agree with your using Post Office boxes, they don't have anything that fits a lot of what I sell, and flat rate can be more expensive than parcel post. Not a good way to keep those shipping costs down.

I also disagree with using only new boxes. As long as the ones you use are clean and not all banged up, people aren't going to judge you on which box you used. And if they are, nothing you can do will make them happy. Use a recycled box, but make sure it's clean and that you pack your item well.

And last (I guess it's 3), most people aren't going to give you 5 stars because you give them a pen. They want what they ordered, in the condition that it was listed in. Will I buy something of yours again because you gave me a pen? Nope. Only reason to reorder from someone is because they have something I want, at a price I like, who sent my item promptly, and was shipped to arrive in the condition it was advertised.
I agree with Bukarooblues on all accounts. I've been selling for 4 years now and have really good feedback just recycling clean, sturdy boxes & good packaging. Flat rate just keeps getting smaller & more expensive. Personal Communication is the best make em happy thing you can do, not the freebie! All pictures should be as clear as possible and as many as possible. Yes, spelling does count!
quote:
Originally posted by HenryN:
Nice article and spot on. I would add that if you have an eBay business and an eBay store it is worth every penny to upgrade to a Premiuim store. Automating almost all of your email correspondences will save a lot of time and send your emails immediately. Your DSR score will improve immediately. Henry
It depends on the items you are selling. If you sell all kinds of different things as I do the personal touch is the only way I can handle my customers. They really appreciate not being responded to by a canned response.
Hi, I usually enjoy reading your newsletter & agree with much of what you suggest. This time is different. Regarding your packaging suggestions I couldn't disagree more. First, look up my id on ebay 935118 & look at my star ratings. I have 4.9 in all 5 categories & have almost 1500 feedbacks. I've been selling since 11/05 and I have been using recycled shipping materials & newspaper ever since I started. The only time I don't is if I am shipping Priority & can use a free box. And, I don't usually offer Priority in my listings because people are looking for the cheapest shipping out there. I have only been asked to overnight 1 package in 4 years. I ship Priority if they are in neighboring states because it's usually cheaper that Parcel Post. But, it's always a nice surprise to my customers. I am an earth friendly person & recycle EVERYTHING that I use in my household. I am writing because I don't want you to discourage sellers from recycling. This was my least favorite articles regarding content & tone since I've been reading your newsletters. Sorry!
Me again, I disagree with including free gifts with a purchase. When I get a free gift it's usually something I don't need & now I got to get rid of that too. Not that I don't already have a house full of junk already. Plus, ask me who sent me the free gifts I've gotten or the thank you note they included & I wouldn't be able to tell you who they were. Sellers, please keep your free gifts! It's a waste of time & money.
This was a very informative article, but like most of sellers I disagree with the packaging suggestions. I use the free Priority Mail boxes when I can but the sizes are limited and some buyers don't want to pay the extra postage for Priority Mail. The cost for new boxes and cushioning material would kill my profits and put me out of business. After all, we already pay eBay fees, PayPal fees and noy Auctivia fees! I'm forced to dumpster dive and use clean, used boxes and packaging material. The only new stuff I use is tape and shipping labels. I print small adhesive labels and put them on the boxes stating "Going Green - recycled boxes and packaging material used for this shipment". I've never had a complaint and have a 4.9 rating and 100% feedback. Also, I usually don't give out free gifts only the product as listed and quality service.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.