Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Beginning August 22, insertion and final value fees for Store Inventory listings will be increased and will follow a tiered structure based on price--as they do for core listings. For complete details of these changes, please see my Announcement Board post and our Fee Changes Overview.

Just saw it... So much for an ebay store.
Ok, my first response to this, "Are you kidding me???"

Then I tried to calm down and see the larger picture that once again, Ebay is trying to do away with the stores format or at the very least weed out the smaller priced items that they make little money on. I feel like I am in a big cycle of, if you want your items seen, then pay core listings or else they don't get seen. NOW it is like okay, your listings are not going to be seen and we are raising the price of them not being seen, WHAT?????

And okay, Bill Cobb says that this should only increase our overall fees by 6%. That is a lot especially for those with a lot of items in their stores. I know I am just a small time seller as a stay at home mom but every penny counts and again 6% is a lot. Is it still a better deal than opening up a Brick and Mortar, sure it is. But I am not sure that is the point here to sellers anymore who feel like they are not getting their money's worth in services and are being squeezed for whatever Ebay can get from them.

I normally am an optimist and normally just roll with the punches but this punch really got my goat, pardon the expression. Nice how they institute this too just in time for the fall and Christmas seasons so they are assured lots more moolah.

So I do not know what I am going to do. I will probably keep going with up and work on my own site until I just have to use Ebay for advertising basically. I don't know, I really do not know....

Marcia
quote:
Originally posted by marciay96:
And okay, Bill Cobb says that this should only increase our overall fees by 6%.

Okay so I am not very good at math (that is why I married a banker) but HOW IN THE WORLD do you get only an increase of 6% with the amount they are raising fees? Like they are saying on the store boards, this must be the new math we keeping hearing about. Razz

Marcia
just... big lies from a monopoply that sees a competitor froogle taking the store business away....froogle soon clearly will be THE PLACE to search online for store items... ebay knows this... they did not want to be seen losing to a competitor.. instead they get away from the stores and go in the area where froogle will have a harder time....ebay has shown with the auction format that people when putting in a search for an interest want to see different items on the first 5 pages and not the same items over and over.... how can froogle do this???? i sure hope froogle finds a way for this also.....this is what alot of people like to do.... if froogle has the first 5 pages the same cause of high page rank without changing when someone puts asearch in.... soon buyers will lose some interest... but buyers who want a particular item then search and name .. this system will work great with froogle and all the webstores in their search...
And another thing, Bill Cobb in his anouncement says this..
"In addition -- to help eBay Stores sellers make informed decisions about any changes to their selling strategies -- we're making eBay Marketplace Research Basic available to them at no cost for eight weeks, starting today. Through September 19, eBay Stores sellers can use this data to compare selling formats or determine how best to price inventory on eBay. You can access eBay Marketplace Research here."

But what is not said until you dig deep into the murky pit is this...
"How will I receive the two free months?
eBay will credit any Marketplace Research Basic fees you have incurred between July 19 and September 19, 2006. The two free months will not be immediately reflected. You will see a credit to your seller's account approximately 3 weeks after you're billed for your Marketplace Research charges."

Are you trying to make us feel WORSE by getting us to sign up for yet another ebay seller service by waiving a carrot and then pulling the rug out by providing a catch to your way
" to help eBay Stores sellers make informed decisions about any changes to their selling strategies".

Okay enough for now...I need to go eat some dinner, enjoy my family and try to forget about this mess for a while. Sorry about all the posts but this kind of stuff just erks me.

Marcia
Face if folks, we are in the middle of the mega search engine website wars. I saw this coming a year ago. So what is next....Google does not have any actual auctions going, so ebay is safe there and they worded it that way. What they do have is a lot of ebay stores that are like mini websites being picked up by froogle and others. So ebay is going to raise new money knowing this. B.....u.....t.....what if google goes into the auction business? Maybe they are just staging themselves for this. Why is google doing this, because ebay was becoming the walmart of the internet with one giant product search engine that could go against google. Thats why yahoo and msn are teaming up with ebay to size themselves against google growth and recognition.

My advise is you must build websites if you rely on the internet for income. I have been making a living on the net now for 3 years since I quite my 25 year career. My internet marketing is paying off. Yes I rely on ebay stores and will pay the upcharge by raising my prices, but in the long run I will eventually wean myself of auctions and an ebay store.
I expected something out of ebay with google/froogle on their tail but this wasn't it. After thinking about it I'm convinced they would rather do away with the store and not compete in this way. Also they want people to use BIN in the core listings to push Express.

Just my thoughts

Quote:
And, when you compare our operations costs for an average Store Inventory listing and an average core listing – factoring in the duration of each – our cost to host a Store Inventory listing is more than 50% higher than for a core listing. In fact, current Store Inventory insertion fees don't cover eBay's costs for hosting them.

Bye bye ebay - time to really get back to my plan of getting away from them completely
This is the time of the year I reopen at least one other store with eBay and start reselling from at least 2 more IDs.

They can kiss that other store good-bye and at least 2 of my other IDs.

My hopes are that Auctiva comes up with a simple solution for we to have our stores via Auctiva that would enable us to accept GBuy.

It's the way to go.

It's in the works..so kick start it into first gear.

I don't have time to visit the Store Boards..I bet they are just a "barrel of laughs" over there.

Rosemary...My best to you in your interview tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

My Best,
Donna
Well, I don't visit those boards very often, but I started watching when Ebay went through the "brainstorming" to help store owners. I refrain from contrbuting as they appear to have more than one loose cannon with a vengeful agenda.
I can't imagine how bad I would feel right now if you guys hadn't given me the push to stick my nose out there on ECrater and Blujay. Working on the website is tough for me, but by God, I'll get it done yet. I have to - most of my store will be gone before the 22nd deadline.
It's just not worth it. You know, I actually cut my Ebay bill in half this month.
Good luck to all and thanks for the safety net.
Rosemary
Website and more marketing techniques - that's all I need.
eBay is so greedy. with the setup they have now... sometimes they end up getting 25% (eBay+PayPal). the only unbalance of power isn't caused by stores; it's caused by eBay's constant rise in prices. i don't really think it has anything to do with google. i think it has to do with their stock going from $40 to $26 in 3 months... they got to recoup that money somewhere. go back 6 months and it's from $47 to $26... laugh... as if this will help.
quote:
Auctiva - hurry. You can do this!

Interestingly enough when I first started Auctiva in April 98 I already knew I couldn't beat eBay even if I built a site 5x as good. They already had the grip on sellers and buyers that was too quickly feeding on itself. And that was with only around 300,000 items on eBay. Now there is 14 million auction items and something like 60+ million store items.

eBay wasn't really all that feature rich then. There was no photo hosting, no help at all for sellers to list a lot of items, no eBay software, no templates, no scheduling, no counters, no HTML editor, no spell check, nothing. That of course is why my product was so successful almost instantly and where we are today. There was a big need for that. Originally I thought that could give me a way to get a lot of sellers using it. Then I could hope those users may give a site I built a try. Then Amazon got into the game, and Yahoo, and Microsoft, and everyone and their mother. At that point I really didnt want to try and compete with any of them and their fat pockets. I figured sellers would have enough choices and competition between those sites to keep eBay honest. So what I did was a deal with Amazon to build support into Auctiva for listing to Amazon and we were the first site to support listing to multiple sites I think. A little while after that we added Yahoo.

I suppose I was just before my time. People didn't see the value in multi channel sales back then, things were just fine on eBay they thought. There weren't as many professional businesses on eBay then, people doing it full time and bringing a real business side to it. eBay was growing very fast then, sales were good profits were good, and so on.

There aren't any plans here to compete with eBay, no AuctivaPop, or thigns along those lines. What I have put a lot of thought into are ways to help drive more traffic to our sellers listings. I have many ideas and I'd love to be doing them all now but time and budgets are a reality I have to deal with. After we complete phase 2 I'll have a lot of engineers here with free time and you can expect to see some innovation and new ideas. Some will bomb I'm sure but hopefully I come up with a few keepers. That's how it's worked out in the past 8+ years.

I want to help sellers make more money. Because in doing that I believe it will lead to growth for Auctiva along with those sellers we're helping. Hopefully then you feel like we're making money with you, not from you. Right now on eBay it feels a little more like taking than helping you to make it. Not every eBay seller feels that way perhaps, and it wasn't always like that, but more and more it's heading that way.
Last edited by auctivajeff
Well, I for one am closing my eBay store at the end of this month and will no longer be using the refid link to my eBay store Store.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edited 7-21-2006: I will be leaving my eBay store up for the next two months. I'm loading it up with store items up until 11:59pm on the 21st of August.

After that date the new fee's come into play. Before that date all store items will have the old fee's and fvf.

Ebay will have quarterly reports to make to their board of directors end of September. This should prove interesting.

I opened another store on ecrater and have been busy filling it. Got my va. store started and have been busy working on another domain name that I purchased.

I have no plans to stop selling on ebay, (because as hubster says..Everybody knows eBay) but I'm still continuing to branch out and I will be just as successful at those ventures, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll be using the Auctiva Store Link...At least I can cross promote that way.

I had REALLY hoped and kept my fingers crossed that Auctiva would come through with an ecrater type of store.

I don't want you to be another auction site..Puhleeeeze..who would want to go up against eBay and Google? I was hoping and keeping my fingers crossed was more of an ecrater type of store-front..a Buy it Now storefront. There are those that don't have their own domain names or don't know about getting their feeds to Froogle nor have the time to build a site from bottom up or the big buckeroo's to have someone build a site for them.

Plain and simple. What I and others would want is the store (not the showcase) that we have via Auctiva that would incorporate GBuy, the use of Sellathon, UPIC insurance and the cross selling abilities.

If the buzz that I'm seeing on ALL of the boards I belong to is any sign of whats to come.............

EBAY sellers are shutting down their stores (which is what eBay wants) and fleeing to ecrater and/or building their own site.(eBay is hoping we'll put up more Auctions, Buy It Now, Fixed Price Listings, but I won't)

I have no intentions of leaving Auctiva. I'm pleased as peaches with what I receive and the manner in which I receive your product Jeff.

However think on this...I'm cutting out my store and doing my sales different with eBay due to the latest announcement in regards to fee's. The amount of my links back to Auctiva will be cut by 1/2 to 3/4 within the next month.

That equates to less Auctiva links out there on eBay from this one seller.

As I stated I'm in the process of having my Store Auctiva url
http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstoreitems2.aspx?id=6466
placed on every auction, on every email, my websites and more.

That doesn't mean that my own site, other domain names, my many ecraters, Bluejay and Bidville are taking a back seat though.

I'm glad you didn't fry up in the heat!
Thanks for your insight and thoughts.

My Best,
Donna
Last edited by suthrnjewl
Actually you have this URL too:

http://store.auctiva.com/Suthrnjewl

That may be easier for people to remember or type in. We really need to let people know they have a URL like that, we're working on that now.

We also may be giving you a url like: Suthrnjewl.auctiva.com or Suthrnjewl.auctivastore.com

We're working on those as well, is that something you'd like? Is there one you prefer over the other?

We're also working to templatize our stores so that you will be able to use your template in your store and it will look a lot more professional. I don't want to give up all the goodies, but we hope to have revamped our store feature in the next 6-8 weeks. You wont be able to list items there yet, but that will probably come as part of our phase 2 release or shortly after that.
OK fella, divi up for the dummy. This Auctiva store like is to show what you have on Auction at ebay? If you close down your Ebay store, what will show up in the Auctiva store? I've never paid much attention to that - so splain yourself. If love Auctiva too and if you'll notice it's my first recommendation sire on my MS Spaces - only one line up from Suthrnjewl.
Thank
Rosemary
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Jeff:

That may be easier for people to remember or type in. We really need to let people know they have a URL like that, we're working on that now.

We also may be giving you a url like: Suthrnjewl.auctiva.com or Suthrnjewl.auctivastore.com

We're working on those as well, is that something you'd like? Is there one you prefer over the other?

We're also working to templatize our stores so that you will be able to use your template in your store and it will look a lot more professional. I don't want to give up all the goodies, but we hope to have revamped our store feature in the next 6-8 weeks. You wont be able to list items there yet, but that will probably come as part of our phase 2 release or shortly after that.

We're on the same track Jeff, oh yes we are.
I'm not sure how to upload items to the first link but I'm sure you'll let me know.

Thanks for asking my preference...I'm fine with whichever is keyword strong for Auctiva. I'm not being humble <smile> ha! because I'm confident in my ability to make a site keyword strong and meta tags to BRING not only customers to my store but to Auctiva at the same time.

I'll be copying and pasting your statement onto all the message boards I belong to that are ranting and raving today bout the stores and flighting to ecrater, freewebs and more.

In my long-winded spouting off, that's what I was trying to get across and I'm very thankful you understood what I was trying to say.

Thanks again for everything you do!
Donna
Last edited by suthrnjewl
I get fustrated with the fee's also. I am trying other sites right now but it seems that ebay site bring more people in to buy.

If the prices continue the way it is, the buyer are not getting good prices cause we as sellers have to tack on our overhead... the buyers might just get a better deal going to retail stores... I don't know... errr.... Mad

It just not right!
I been trying overstock.com but it's not really all that great. Any suggestions?
quote:
Originally posted by nobostore:
I been trying overstock.com but it's not really all that great. Any suggestions?

ecrater.com

Also buy your own domain and forward the url to your eBay right now.

In the meantime open a free ecrater. Get your keywords and meta tags heavy and on the button.
Sell independently of eBay and work, work, work at getting more sites with your link. The more links the higher you'll be placed in the Search Engines.

Don't pay someone to submit you to Search Engines either..that's throwing good money away.

Make your site meta tag strong and use great key words and you'll sell.

Best of Luck,
Donna
yes.. BUT remember.. so many times we work and build and then the change comes right when we are making some real money... the change THEN puts up back to doing this all over again...all sites usually change when THEY CAN....once we are making money with ecrater or any other.. then they will see a way to change to get this money we are now making... the ole ebay model...even with the most control ... even with that we need somone to give us a yearly dot com... we need to get search engines to place us.... once they see we are making money.. they also can change just like ebay... what we got to do.. is work on our govt to NOT be in the pockets of this system which harms sellers.. and also the wealth being in a fews hands hurts sellers...nothing in the long run will help sellers UNTIL we get our govt.. not run by the robber barons...henry ford had the right philosophy for sellers... put the wealth to build a gigantic middle class...maybe 90% of the people in the middle class and 90% of the wealth also with this group....
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Jeff:
quote:
Auctiva - hurry. You can do this!

Interestingly enough when I first started Auctiva in April 98 I already knew I couldn't beat eBay even if I built a site 5x as good. They already had the grip on sellers and buyers that was too quickly feeding on itself. And that was with only around 300,000 items on eBay. Now there is 14 million auction items and something like 60+ million store items.

eBay wasn't really all that feature rich then. There was no photo hosting, no help at all for sellers to list a lot of items, no eBay software, no templates, no scheduling, no counters, no HTML editor, no spell check, nothing. That of course is why my product was so successful almost instantly and where we are today. There was a big need for that. Originally I thought that could give me a way to get a lot of sellers using it. Then I could hope those users may give a site I built a try. Then Amazon got into the game, and Yahoo, and Microsoft, and everyone and their mother. At that point I really didnt want to try and compete with any of them and their fat pockets. I figured sellers would have enough choices and competition between those sites to keep eBay honest. So what I did was a deal with Amazon to build support into Auctiva for listing to Amazon and we were the first site to support listing to multiple sites I think. A little while after that we added Yahoo.

I suppose I was just before my time. People didn't see the value in multi channel sales back then, things were just fine on eBay they thought. There weren't as many professional businesses on eBay then, people doing it full time and bringing a real business side to it. eBay was growing very fast then, sales were good profits were good, and so on.

There aren't any plans here to compete with eBay, no AuctivaPop, or thigns along those lines. What I have put a lot of thought into are ways to help drive more traffic to our sellers listings. I have many ideas and I'd love to be doing them all now but time and budgets are a reality I have to deal with. After we complete phase 2 I'll have a lot of engineers here with free time and you can expect to see some innovation and new ideas. Some will bomb I'm sure but hopefully I come up with a few keepers. That's how it's worked out in the past 8+ years.

I want to help sellers make more money. Because in doing that I believe it will lead to growth for Auctiva along with those sellers we're helping. Hopefully then you feel like we're making money with you, not from you. Right now on eBay it feels a little more like taking than helping you to make it. Not every eBay seller feels that way perhaps, and it wasn't always like that, but more and more it's heading that way.

How about a really cool off eBay Storefront w/shopping cart that's integrated with eBay? You know, listings can launch from it, when buyers check out from a listing they are taken to the Auctiva Storefront. This is what the poorly coded Prostores do. There are a few other companies doing this as well. However, they are way over the top with charges. A monthly fee PLUS a percentage per transaction.

Now, would be a great time, seeing how eBay wants to recover the relisting fees its losing to eBay Store listings. With the latest fee hike there would be a huge market looking for a product like this. Charge a reasonble fee. Heck, charge a flat $10, $15, $20 or $25 per month NO transaction / percentage fees. Of course, depending on what the storefront offers. I think this is a fabulous addition to Auctiva and it could be very profitable.

Something to consider.

Here's a list of some current OVER PRICED solutions. Get in this game and out price them!

Web Stores with an eBay Extension

AuctionBlox: (osCommerce extension)
Make-a-Store:
StoreFront:
Y.E.S.!:

Out of respect, I didn't use the links.
quote:

Thanks Jeff;

I would like to see this kind of store you are working on as a stand alone type store. In otherwords not a site with pages that are in actuality, ebay auction pages, or ebay store pages, although I think a link feature for those that want to do this would be appreciated.

Myself I would rather construct new pages of items for sale and these be google effective by having the ability to use head tags on the site or some form of simplification of tags. The cart to have the ability to use google pay as method, as well as paypal, etc. Hopeful. I suppose, we just take what we can get as an offering on auctivas part.
I found this on the stores board this morning. The announcement Ebay Singapore received:****** A Message from eBay: Resetting the Balance of the eBay Marketplace - Update for International Sellers******

July 20, 2006 | 02:14PM a SGT
International Sellers,
Today, eBay announced fee adjustments on select international sites. We recommend you visit the Announcement Board for each site you sell on to learn about any fee changes for that particular site.
Sincerely,
eBay International AG

This link will show you what Ebays Singapore fee structure was. "FREE!!" Please read it and tell me what I'm missing. http://pages.ebay.com.sg/help/sell/storefees.html
totally free to list and sell on ebay singapore. BUT, singapore site listings dont show up on other ebay sites. So, many singapore sellers list on other sites (such as .com) in order to get the worldwide exposure, hence the announce on ebay.sg about fee hikes on various intl. sites.

Some sites fees went up, some stayed the same.

eBay sg, china, philippines, and malaysia are all free sites. Items listed on singapore, philippines, and malaysia dont show up on other sites.

Items listed on China site will show up on other sites, but many know if it's a china listing it's a fake or fraud so wont buy from there. And, you have to be able to read chinese to sell on site (plus be able to accept payments in yuan/RenMinBi -- chinese currency -- and be willing to ship to China)

As for other sites - some have same sort of fees as new fees for .com, others have cheaper fees. ebay belgium used to have lower fees than .com, but dunno what current fee structure is (and again, there's the language barrier thing)
pulled up belguim announcement, new fees for them:

tranlation text from http://www2.ebay.com/aw/befr/200607.shtml#2006-07-20074105

Store Insertion Fees

Price Current expenses (per month) New expenses (per month)
EURO 0.01 - 5.00 EURO 0.01 EURO 0.05
EURO 5.01 - 50.00 EURO 0.01 EURO 0.10
EURO 50.01 - 500.00 EURO 0.01 EURO 0.15
More EURO 500.00 EURO 0.01 EURO 0.20

Commission on the final price for Store Items

Current expenses:

Final price New expenses
EURO 0.01 - 50.00 5.00% of the final price
EURO 50.01 - 1000.00 3.50% X (final price - 50 EURO) + 2.50 EURO
More EURO 1000.00 1.50% X (final price - 1000 EURO) + 35.75 EURO

New expenses:

Final price New expenses
EURO 0.01 - 5.00 8% of the final price
EURO 5.01 - 50.00 6% X (final price - 5 EURO) + 0.40 EURO
EURO 50.01 - 500.00 4% X (final price - 50 EURO) + 3.1 EURO
More EURO 500,00 2% X (final price - 500 EURO) + 21.10 EURO

Monthly expenses of subscription:

Format of setting on sale Shops Current expenses New expenses
Traditional shop EURO 1.95 identical
Shop with the One [Featured Store] EURO 9.95 identical
Shop premium EURO 49.95 identical

And theyre upping some auction fees

Gallery will now be .20 Euro (was free)
subtitles will now be .20 Euro (was .05)

Featured Plus will remain at 5.95 Euro for most categories, but will be increased to 9.95 Euro for Telephony categories; Photograph & Cameras and TV, Audio & Video. And, will be raised to 14.95 Euro for Trade, Services and Cars & Motor Bikes categories.

Reserve for Cars & Motor bikes - old price 5 Euro, new price 10 Euro.

Insertion Fee for Cars & Motor bikes
Old fee EURO 1.50
New fee EURO 3.00

Listing Designer was free, new price EURO 0.10
Last edited by wayoutwest
Frown This isn't something I wanted to see after being away for a few days. Looks like I'm probably done with ebay, I will NOT pay those fees. I've done fairly well with my store for the past couple of months even though I have not ran a singel auction people are still buying from me, but I sell low priced items mostly and with the fee increase I won't be making any money.

This really sucks, cause I have been working on a grand re-opening of my store with 500+ items but not no more. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by wayoutwest:

Items listed on China site will show up on other sites, but many know if it's a china listing it's a fake or fraud so wont buy from there. And, you have to be able to read chinese to sell on site (plus be able to accept payments in yuan/RenMinBi -- chinese currency -- and be willing to ship to China)

There's the "loophole" I was trying to dig up from the depths of my gray matter..that you the seller MUST be able to accept payment in whatever country currency you're selling in.

I staunchly refuse to open up to selling in China or Japan. There's so much fraud and I experienced over 3 months of BS, attempts to hack and more last year due to Asian buyers that wouldn't pay up.

I will sell internationally with no qualms with the exception of Japan and China.

Thanks Steve!
Donna

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.