Skip to main content

As some of you know, we moved a few months ago from Buffalo, NY to Charlotte, NC and have been living temporarily in a 2 bedroom apartment while looking for a house. Well, we FINALLY closed on our new house this morning and will move in on Saturday! YEAH!!!! Our twin 3 year old girls are excited to get their own yard and the community as a pool and playground too.

I have to say though that this process of closing on a house is NEVER a dull one! Our mortgage processor was a NIGHTMARE..she kept screwing up our paperwork over and over again and it was still incorrect as of last night when she left for the day. But it was finally worked out before our closing at 9am this morning. So then I had to call and switch over our utilities, which went fine, but we had to find a new phone carrier because we could not transfer our existing service. So I cancelled our service yesterday and told them to turn it off on Saturday...THEY DISCONNECTED IT YESTERDAY!!! Not a big deal, but we have family coming down from NY to help and luckily I have my cell phone to stay connected but trying to make closing arrangements using a number that everyone has that is now not in service is fun. Oh did I mention that our family from NY called to say they are having car trouble?? Eek

I have been so stressed out and not sleeping well, that last night was awful. Besides tossing and turning all night, I finally got to sleep and woke up to cats fighting outside our building. Then our alarm clock did not go off and it was raining like a monsoon out that we got to closing late. YEEEESH. I am just glad it is over...now we just have to move everything and just pray we can afford the new place (I know we can but you know that uneasy feeling of the unknown you get when you move into a new place??) Smile

Well, thanks all for letting me vent. I just hate this kind of stuff...my husband is the banker and so he knows how this stuff should work and does not sweat it. ME? I am a mess..as a social worker, this stuff is greek to me and I feel like I am just signing my life away.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and a wonderful week!

Marcia
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CONGRATULATIONS!
<throwing confetti>

I can't wait to hear how it plays out. I remember you talking about how cramped the space was that you were in. (whilst we were all discussing cramped storage of our eBay items)

The girls will love it!

I love North Carolina..I have family in Asheville and try to get up there as much as possible. Summers are wunnnnnderful! Falls are gorgeous! Springs are a delight with all the spring time flowers in the mountains.

To make you feel better...here's what I did (I handle everything but the earning of major bucks in this household). The day we closed on this house..I had everything set up, electric, telephone, gas, cable, people to help us move in, meals, beer, beverages and more. I thought I had it ALL together.
The operative word is...thought.

We did the walk-thru before closing. Flushing the toilets, running the dishwasher, starting the stovetop & oven and more. Yep..all was functional. Check, check, check. Everything working electricity, gas and everything that runs on water.

Well, we got busy moving and there was a need to use the facilities...No water to flush. I said..WHAT? I called the electric department and they said, M'am, you're on county water..we don't handle that. What? Help me, Please! I have children and all kinds of persons here helping out. I "assumed" that the electric department carried our water as it had done for decades. Oh no M'am, you're in unincorporated and we don't handle the water out there.

I made a fast call to the county water and they swore they'd be out first thing in the morning, trusting that I would be into town to sign the papers the next day. (which I did)

We got all moved in but couldn't even sleep there the first night as we wanted showers and ended up staying elsewhere the first night. Next day, we had water bright and early just as promised <smile>

My best to you and yours. I wish I could give you a loaf of bread and a jug of wine for a blessing on your new home.

It all works out..trust me!
Donna
quote:
Originally posted by marciay96:
...now we just have to move everything and just pray we can afford the new place (I know we can but you know that uneasy feeling of the unknown you get when you move into a new place??) Smile

Marcia

Yes I know all to well this feeling, I had it when I closed on my second home and how accurate it was. I was Making the majority of the income and my now Ex- wife was working as a temp. We had been living there for 6 months and I had just bought my wife a new car. Then suddenly the bottom dropped out..lol. The company I worked for had to downsize as just about everyone did that year, and I was one of the many unlucky ones that got the boot. I had never been so worried in my life..I had 3 small children then a mortgage to pay, a truck payment and now new car payment to make every month and no jobs to be had as this was when bush senior was in office and we had that bad year, remember?

Anyway fortunately, I was able to take the new car back as it hadnt even been a week. But it wasnt long before the mortgage and truck payments started falling behind. Fortunately someone told me about a government loan for housing I could get, so I looked into it and 1 month later I had a government no interest loan to help me through the bad spot..Not long after, the economy picked up and I was back on the job. And my wife got a new job with Vdot(virginia dept of transportation) Anyway, All worked out fine, and even though we are divorced now and I live in Texas and she lives in Conn, we both still own the house and rent it out to family. So basically what im saying is the same thing Donna said...Dont worry it all works out!!!!

Congrats on the new home. I hope you and your family will be happy for years to come in it.
Just want to say a quick hello as I am finally back online after the move!

I do have to say that the next time I move (which will not be for a LONG time hopefully) I am going to pay someone to move my stuff! I really cannot say that I have a lot of stuff, not a lot of big furniture as we got rid of a lot when we moved from NY last year. But I tell you, moving stuff tired me and my husband right out! We even had lots of help but man, we were whooped!!!

Anyhow we made it and our girls love their new house. They only snag so far is that our friendly house cat (yeah right) is still over at the apartment as he REFUSES to get into his carrier to come to the house! You cannot even get near him with the carrier without him hissing and trying to rip you leg or arm off, literally. I got him in the carrier once but could not close the door without him taking my hand off! So that is the last thing we have to move as we have the apartment until Saturday.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks so much for the well wishes! You are a great bunch of folks!

Marcia
quote:
Originally posted by marciay96:

Anyhow we made it and our girls love their new house. They only snag so far is that our friendly house cat (yeah right) is still over at the apartment as he REFUSES to get into his carrier to come to the house! You cannot even get near him with the carrier without him hissing and trying to rip you leg or arm off, literally. I got him in the carrier once but could not close the door without him taking my hand off! So that is the last thing we have to move as we have the apartment until Saturday.

Marcia

Marcia,

I was thinking of you the other day and hoping everything went smooth.

So glad to hear the girls are happy and already loving the house.

Our cat was the hardest thing to get into this house. My second son was finally given the duty of getting the cat into the carrier as I couldn't nor could my daughter. I don't know how the cat got in there and I wasn't about to ask questions either. <smile>

Have fun setting everything up!

Check in with us when life slows down,
Donna
Well, my husband finally got the cat home last night. He went to the apartment and did not even show the cat the box but just picked him up and threw him in the front seat of the car. It is only about a half hour drive so he said it was not too bad except for the cat kept trying to get on the dashboard and the lights were out on the main street so cops were directing traffic and my husband did not want to be see with a cat sitting in the passenger seat with his paws up on the dash so my hubby kept trying to concealing him, LOL. I can just see that...my husband only tolerates the cat for our girls, he is really a dog lover.

Now the cat is following us around the house and meowing incessantly when he gets lost or cannot see us. Hopefully he will get settled soon.

Thanks all for your tips on harnessing cats to get them home!!!

Marcia
quote:
Originally posted by wayoutwest:
what i have to do to get my cat in carrier -

put carrier on end, with opening up and hide it around corner

pick up cat and hold cat walking towards corner that carrier is around

right before rounding corner, reposition cat to where can drop him in opening

round corner and quickly drop into opening before realizes what's going on

best of luck!

Funny Big Grin

I can remember trying to get ours in the carrier. The minute he saw that thing he would spread out all fours making it impossable to fit him in the carrier.

The cat I had as a child, my Mom would just wrap him in a blanket and hold him on her lap. He also made the trip with us from NY to FL and we let him roam around the car Smile

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.