Skip to main content

So I started from scratch yet again as per Auctiva's recommendations to eliminate the formatting issues.

Everything was going great and I thought I had finally cracked the minefield of trying to make a successful listing, as all the formatting and text was appearing as I planned it in the preview page.

However, I noticed after 6 listings that the Notifications counter at the top of the page was showing 6 in red. Clicking on the red 6 takes you the Events page which showed that all 6 listings had failed to post with the message

"API Error

Either your Description, Location, or Checkout Instructions appear to have Java script in it according to eBay. eBay is very strict about anything that looks like it may be Java script. Try checking your description for parenthesis and try posting without them if they do exist."

What the hell is that all about!???? I started the whole thing from scratch again with no copy/paste. What am I doing wrong now?

God help anyone who is new to computers thinking they would like to make some easy extra money by selling stuff on ebay via Auctiva! All these errors and messages about formatting and HTML and what not would scare anyone away.

I'm telling you, my patience has run out and this is my last attempt to make a listing or it's BYE BYE AUCTIVA and I will list from now on using ebay and use one of the many free photo hosting sites like jpegbay for my photos.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Danno. Cookie is not in my text and I didn't spot it in the HTML which is as follows. Where else would it be?

<p><span style="color: #ff0000"><strong><span style="font-size: large"><span style="font-family: Arial">Autosport</span></span></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">magazine</span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">24 June 1971</span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Vol 43  No 12</span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">60 pages</span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">weekly UK in depth motorsports magazine with all the latest news and reports from Formula 1, Rallying, Le Mans, Indycar, Rallycross, Touring Cars, Formula 3 etc</span></span></p><p> </p><p><u><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">cover photograph</span></span></u></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Jacky Ickx on his way to wiing the Dutch GP</span></span></span></p><p><u><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">reports</span></span></u></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Dutch GP, Zandvoort</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Monza F2 - Gran Premio Lotteria di Monza</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Rothmans European F5000, Monza</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Auvergne Trophy, Clermont Ferrand</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">BARC Crystal Palace meeting</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">West Essex CC Snetterton meeting</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">VSCC Oulton Park meeting</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Mini Se7en Club Mallory Park meeting</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">BRSCC Brands Hatch meeting</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Lothian CC Doune Hillclimb</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">NSCC Silverstone meeting</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Pit & Paddock</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Club News</span></span></span></p><p><u><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">features</span></span></u></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Behind the Wheel - Denny Hulme page</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">John Davenport's Rally Record</span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">new 2 litre Alfa Romeos</span></span></span></p><p><u><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">wonderful period adverts</span></span></u></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Alfa Romeo 1750</span></span></span></span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">TVR</span></span></span></span></span></span></p><p><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="color: #336699"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Lotus Europa</span></span></span></span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">in excellent condition</span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">All items sent in secure packaging</span></span></p><p><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Postal discount on multiple purchases</span></span></p><p><span style="color: #006633"><span style="font-size: small"><span style="font-family: Arial">Please have a look at my other items for more motoring magazines, brochures, motorsport magazines, motorsport posters, nostalgic advertising etc</span></span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><em><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial"> EBAY'S LARGEST SELECTION OF</span></span></em></p><p style="text-align: center"><br /><span style="color: #ff0000"><strong><span style="font-size: large"><span style="font-family: Arial">AUTOSPORT</span></span></strong></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">Magazines</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">ALMOST 5000 IN STOCK!!</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">COMPLETE VOLUMES and YEARS AVAILABLE</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial"><br />I HAVE A HUGE COLLECTION OF ALMOST 5000 AUTOSPORT MAGAZINES RANGING FROM 1950s TO 2007</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PARTICULAR ISSUE PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT MY LISTINGS</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">ENQUIRIES WELCOME</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Arial">ALL MAGAZINES RANGE FROM GOOD TO MINT CONDITION</span></span></p><p style="text-align: center"><u><font color="#0000ff"><a onclick="window.open(this.href,'','resizable=yes,location=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,status=yes,toolbar=yes,fullscreen=no,dependent=no,status'); return false" href="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/OLD-CAR-MAGAZINES-and-BROCHURES"><span style="font-size: medium">Visit my eBay Store</span></a></font></u></p><pre class="standard1" style="word-wrap: break-word; margin-bottom: 0px">
</pre>
quote:
onclick="window.open(this.href,'','resizable=yes,location=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,status=yes,toolbar=yes,fullscreen=no,dependent=no,status'); return false"

No Javascript? When did you add that Javascript popup code?

Danno

Edit: My best guess on the API error is that script for window.open method is at fault. That's usually used with unsolicited popups (eBay policy violation) and not for a simple anchor link to new page. eBay's check routine for illegal code probably just sees "window.open" and is rejecting the code.

My advise is to replace that code (in my quote) with....

target="_blank"

That will honestly do almost exactly what that script is doing without invoking API error and conforms to newest policy on using a new "blank" page for links.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by danno

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.