Skip to main content

Hello...I have been using Auctiva for several years now and have always handled pictures in the same manner. I take the photos, download to computer into "My Pictures" with a title for each group of photos. Then, when in Auctiva preparing a listing, I click on the image square to add photos. I then lick on "My Pictures" and the file I want underneath. It then brings forth all the photos which I may then select and download. Then, they appear in the listing.

However, for the past 3 days, when I click on the square to add image in Auctiva, first, it is very slow, saying "loading files", and then it finally takes me to where I can choose the file under "My Pictures". But, what used to be small photos now show as camera icons. When I click on one of them as if to add to my listing, I just get that swirly internet thing and the computer gets hung up. I then have to shut down.

I have contated Auctiva Help and they tell me they do not experience the same problem. I am using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7. Everything else on my computer works just fine as usual. They told me to clear the cache of cookies, etc. which I did with no change. I even rolled my computer back a few days with Restore to see if perhaps something in my settings had changed, but no luck there either.

In my communication with Auctive, I had two responses: one telling me they were not able to replicate the problem and the other asking me to delete the cookies, etc. I then sent them a follow-up but had no response. I sent another request for help today with no response either.

I am thinking that this must be a problem with Auctiva since all else is okay...Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello...

I received a reply from Auctiva this morning asking me to try with FireFox. However, I once had FireFox installed and my tech uninstalled it as it was somehow interfering with my work network. Please note I am not very computer savvy - I am able to do my work and occasionally list on Auctiva but I am not good at diagnosing/repairing any glitches. However, that suggestion gave me the idea of trying to access Auctiva through Google Chrome which I have on my computer. That worked and I was able to upload my pictures which was the problem with Internet Explorer. I am hoping this may help others in the community who may have Google Chrome. The part I don't understand is that I had been using Internet Explorer for years and was able to upload pictures with no problem. Is there a problem between Auctiva and IE? Thanks again for your concern and reply. Helen
Update: I am able to upload my pictures by going through Google Chrome as I noted earlier today. However, now I am unable to change the font size. My workaround is to save in Google Chrome after uploading pictures and then open in IE to be able to use the font I desire. Not an efficient way to work - hopefully the will be able to fix the problems with both engines.
just a note:

support will tell you that they don't "support" auctiva on google chrome but strangely it seems to work better than firefox.

with regards to the font issues are you using the latest version of the auctiva editor?

as far as the pathetic responses from support, you should request a supervisor. on the weekend support is dismal at best. somebody recently theorized that support was outsourced.

let us know if you need help getting the latest editor.

one last note...there are many threads regarding how slow the site has been. you might want to add a note on those forums.

good luck helen
Thanks again for your help…..I have no idea on whether or not I have the latest version of the Auctiva editor – I wasn’t sure of how to go about finding out what version I have. And, of course, I will add a note to the threads regarding the slowness of Auctiva. Even though I have been able to use it through Google Chrome, it is going much more slowly than it had in the past.
Helen:
I copied this from Auctiva's FAQ but did not test it. Give it a try and if it doesn't work I'll research further.

You can choose from two different versions of the Description Editor.

To set the latest Description Editor v. 2.0 (beta) as your default, hover your mouse over the My Account tab and click the "Acct. Preferences" link under the Settings heading.

Under the Listing Management heading at the top of the page, locate the “Default Editor on One-page Lister." The pull-down menu option should be set to "Design Editor." Directly below the drop-down menu, check the box next to “Use Design Editor v2.0 Beta”

Click the "Update Account Preferences" button near the bottom of the page to save your settings.
You are the Best! I just followed your directions and now I can fool with the fonts, etc. Also, unlike when I was able to change fonts from small to medium to large, etc., now I am able to fine tune a bit more with font number sizes. I had no idea that that area was lurking under "My Account". You have been very helpful to me on what is a brand-new community for me - thanks a million! Have a nice night - I know I will sleep better tonight knowing I am able to list some of our old items. It was driving me nuts the last few days trying to figure it out.
Auctiva Support responded to me yesterday....
They stressed that Auctiva is "optimized to work with the latest version of Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox". They asked me to go into "Internet Options" from "Tools" Menu and click "Advanced". Then, they asked that I click "Restore Advanced Settings" button, followed by "Apply" and then "OK". I did this and followed their enusing directions, shutting down, etc. When I went back into Auctiva - Guess What? The same problem with not being able to Upload Photos from "My Pictures". They said if this did not work I should uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer. Well, I already did that with both IE8 and 9 with no help. My Auctiva, as I stated earlier, works only when I access through Google Chrome at this point. A Community member helped me out with fonts and that is fine now. BUT WHAT CHANGED TO CAUSE EVERYONE TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE? Auctiva Support also said they were able to create a listing with my photos. My problem is that I cannot access "My Pictures" not the ones that are alredy downloaded which they used.
If Google Chrome works for you, there is no harm in using it, but we don't support it.

For what it's worth, our developers all use Firefox so that should tell you something. If the guys who wrote the system use a specific browser...I'm just sayin'.

We haven't changed the image uploader recently, and we don't know of anything that would be causing an issue with it with Firefox. I'm not saying there could not be a problem on our side..it is possible...but we are not seeing anything in our incoming support cases for the image uploader suggesting a widespread problem.

Most of the time, it is something on peoples local machines that cause problems with the uploader.

The image uploader running in Firefox depends on a component being installed on your computer called Java Runtime. If you have auto update turned on on your computer, Java will update itself periodically. I have personally had seen these updates fail (I have no idea why), with the failure messing up the Java runtime and with it, the image uploader.

You can uninstall Java (use your 'Control Panel to find the program (see the Programs and Features option) and run the uninstall for it). Then reinstall it from this link. This gives you a clean Java install, and the image uploader should work, everything else being equal.

By the way, the latest Firefox version is 7.01. Most people will be best off to be running the latest version.

Hope this helps. If you are still having difficulties with the uploader, my advice is to file a support case--or another support case if you already have filed on--and have them keep working the issue with you.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.