Skip to main content

Well I tried listing using Firefox. Short lived experiment. While the response between listings was faster (about 15 seconds) it was all lost and then someWITHIN the listing. First off, the description editor doesn't work correctly in Firefox which they recommend. It does work in Opera which they don't Go figure. You can't cut and paste from the title line into the editor, overlaying an existing line and keep he size/font info correct. You have to redo the line with the drop downs or type into the box. That alone takes away the time saved. Also, scrolling is awfully slow, and why do they insist on these popout boxes for things like selecting item categories. NO ONE does that anymore. I guess we should be lucky they don't try to change it. The site would stop working altogether. Stick with Opera.....
Well it is now Nov 13th. & I can not list any listings tonight due to the slowness & also timed out problems with Auctiva.
I thought perhaps it was my old computer,so switched to my new Toshiba Laptop---same problem there too. All other internet sites are running fine on both computers.
I couldn't even upload my pictures tonight---going to be a real loss of profits for next weeks sales, since I have only 4 listings going. Took me over 4 hours to get them up and running. Grrrrr. I want my money back Auctiva!!!!!!!!!!!!
Auctiva, it has hit point that listing at night especially is IMPOSSIBLE!!! what is status of checking into this. I am sure people are not writing support anymore, forums have become same as most lately, we get no response, or one that does not solve the problem. I find it hard to believe that this is not being dug into like a dog would dig for a bone. This is only going to get worse as holidays come. If plan is that AFTER holidays this will fix itself because of less people listing, you could be right, but if not fixed before holidays I for one will sure be shopping around for next year. As we would be fools to put ourselves through this again next year.

If auctiva is only interested in commerce then they need to just let us know so we can quit wasting our time writing on forums for ebay issues. I find it hard to believe all new energy is put into commerce, mainly because most of those people came from ebay side to begin with. To me this is where future commercers will probably come from and if people are not happy with ebay side, why would they invest more time in commerce not knowing if it operates the same.

I can't even count the issues that have been mentioned in last months that have not receive any response from auctiva.
I suspect they do not check the boards based on the fact that when they abandoned Mr Poster like a kid on a doorstep, I waited for months for a response. They finally said that they had only one person working on Mr P and they were discontinuing it. For me the real issue is where do I and how do I move auctions and store items running in ebay with Auctiva images, and some other sites as well. It probably makes the most sense to simply keep everything on Auctiva as is, and do all the new listing using something else. Still, as long as it isn't too unbearable at 2 or 3 in the morning, I'm OK with that. To try to do it during the afternoon or evening is torture. Their servers cannot handle the volume. Never could and never will. Costs money to increase bandwidth and stuff like that.
Honestly, had thought at some point of trying commerce again, but at this point not gonna happen, as I am tied into this more than enough at this point. That is another reason I am not getting sucked into new services such as shipping, just one more thing to grow to depend on that could be removed or go down the river time-wise.

I do wonder, however, if they have different servers, or different location for servers or something than those of us on just the ebay side. If so would sure be worth the cost of just paying it just to have decent service for the ebay side. As this is horrid and getting worse.
All,

I don't have any specific information I can provide yet as to the site slowness issues that are being discussed in this thread.

Unfortunately, we have not yet identified a cause or causes. But we appreciate your concerns and we ARE in the process of looking into figuring out what is causing these issues and what can be done about it.

I'm not sure how long the resolution process may take, but resolving these site slowness issues is a priority for us.

When we know something more specific, we will update you.
What a surprise - as I mentioned (and it probably is gone as well ANY post made by any of us that mentioned a competitor to Auctiva has been DELETED. Auctiva does not like it when one tries to lure its customer base someplace else. This is over numerous posts including this one. The only way they will find an answer to the problem will be to stumble upon it. This has been an ongoing problem not for weeks but for YEARS. Lets see if this post lasts for even an hour.... and I won't mention the competitors name but checking the internet I see he worked for ebay writing auction software and then struck out on his own. I suspect Auctiva is gearing up in other areas as this guy will wipe the floor with Auctiva if his software is as good as the reviews say it is and they will need something besides auction software to stay afloat.
Vickie,

Commerce is technically a separate, distinct system from Auctiva.com.

Users with a Commerce account also have an Auctiva.com account, and the two are interconnected. All the eBay activity that a Commerce user has goes through the same Auctiva.com servers and database as the activity that is being generated by users who have Auctiva.com service without Commerce.

I hope that answers your question.
I know I'm shooting myself in the foot here but you HAVE to do your listings in the middle of the night, between 2-5AM to improve your response time. Also, ditch the conventional browsers. If you are taking over 45 seconds (40 seconds too long in my book) to save a listing and have a new page open up, you need to give the Opera browser a shot. Do that, pause virus protection, and you will get some relief.
OK - I am conducting my own unofficial time comparisons. I had 60 listings to do this morning. They are quite simple as I was listing stamps (you know, the ones that Auctiva destroyed my saved listings). All that is changed in each listing is title, category, price,one line in the description (cut and paste) and change the image. Thats it. I did 50 of them in 98 minutes which is brutal, but its what I've come to expect over the years. I will do the remaining ones this afternoon. The 50 were done between 3:50 AM and 5:30 AM. I don't think starting them at around 2:30 would have bought me anything. I will post this afternoons results later. All done with Opera, XPSP2 and Avast turned off (security)
tried opera and it was a disaster. checked its ratings on cnet and some other sites and it does not even compare to the top 3. compatibility issues are one of the major complaints.

the installation messed with many of my computer settings, including default browser which changed to IE after uninstall. I NEVER use IE. Now I am stuck with search engine issues. everything going to bing.

bad experience with opera and still dusting off its impact.
I'm sorry to hear that. I have never had problems with Opera with the exception of Auctiva (they were using XML which Opera did not like). My wife likes Chrome and then I hear her yelling at the PC because it bogs down with Chrome after a while Opera has no issues with any of the secure sites, and certainly handles Java better than Seamonkey (Firefox Lite). I don't recall ever being told it would switch my default browser to IE - and I think I have IE5 on my PC. Who knows. Never use it. Curious it does not compare to the top 3.Not enough people use it I guess. Chrome and Firefox are memory hogs. Known fact. My PC is on 24/7. If I were using Firefox or Chome, I would need to restart every few days as the browser does not release all the memory back to the PC when it is closed. I can usually get 3 weeks with Opera sometimes 4 if I'm lucky - and I have but 256K of memory. When I finally start to use the new PC for everything, I probably won't have to restart for a month or 2! Just curious - how long does it take you to do a listing in some other browser?
Regarding the use of the Opera browser, I'd like to remind everyone that we do not recommend Opera for use with Auctiva. As I have posted on the forums before, our recommended browsers for the PC platform are Firefox and IE, and for the Mac platform Safari and Firefox. We also support Chrome. For what it is worth, our developers use Firefox as their primary tool.
I was quite surprised to find that the listing speed in the afternoon was almost the same as the very early hours. In Opera (the thing that Tony wont support) it took just about 2 minutes per listing. I uploaded 5 impages (one for each listing first) and then created 5 new listings changing only the title, category (all were stamps) and one line in the description. Changed the image as well. 5 listings, 9.5 minutes. Did the same thing with the "approved" Firefox - 13.5 minutes AND a busy script when trying to add a picture to the listing. The image part of creating a listing is really bad. Just to see, I did 5 listings almost the same way (you need to load images per listing not all at once) on the site whose name I cannot mention, 5 listings in 2.5 minutes. That was a little SLOWER than it usually is. I'm still not clear on the amount of time everyone thinks is slow. I think 10 minutes for 5 listings is too slow. Is it worse than that for you?
Hi folks

Auctiva has us all thinking that the time to get to their site is not an issue. Well lets assume that's accurate (in fact it may well be most times). Where I believe the slowness happens is in the architecture of the Auctiva system itself. I live in the far North Woods of Maine. My internet is not Broadband rather I bounce a signal to a tower 18 miles away so my performance is a lot faster than dial-up access but slower than DSL service. This allows me to watch web sites load files and such as if things are in slow motion (well for me they are). What I have seen over the year is that Auctiva is very prone to getting out of sync. By that I mean that if one task takes too long to finish a subsequent task may go into n infinite loop "waiting" for the slow task to finish (that means that even after the slow task is finished the next task is thinking its not done yet). I find I can hit Refresh (F5) and things will get done a lot faster than simply waiting. Most times this works okay but depending where you are in the edit process you could loose data. So if you have just tweaked the perfect title or crafted that killer description copy you information to the clipboard and paste it somewhere safe. The reason a refresh sometimes will fix the loop condition is because when refresh is hit a lot of the information had already been accessed by the computer so it can process that task that took forever in a more normal fashion so the next task (the one that just waited forever) can now start and not get "confused". Even if I am mistaken they will need to prove that and by doing that they will find the issue because an issue there is. As I say I'm willing to accept they really don't have a Bandwidth issue or a Server performance issue (one thing perhaps is they may "store" too much data/information) on the local machine (i.e. our machines)) but there is some issue.

There are many potential bottlenecks in the entire process not just how long it takes to get from point A to point B. Believe me, folks here say it takes minutes to list sometimes. Even with my slow internet and using a selective use of the Refresh option it has never come close to that. Once in a while I just walk away because somewhere on the super highway there is a bottleneck. That happens less than once a week and others here have a lot worse issue with response. So anything that is a measure of 10s of seconds or minutes most times is not a router issue (unless one is malfunctioning and I don't think all of these in all of the business have a bad router) but rather an infrastructure issue on Auctiva's end and/or a timing issue with all their functions that need to mesh together like the gears of a a clock (whoops sorry all you digital folks clocks used to have gears). It is not a trivial task but it is a standard task for the certain type of IT person I'm talking about

Sorry just some random thoughts.

Auctiva if I have upset your technicians (by the way I do not like that word as the types of folks I am talking about are not technicians, just like employees are not resources) I have done my task. Now hopefully they will turn over every possibility to PROVE me incorrect. If that turns out to be the result I will apologize and thank them for finding the issue and fixing it. I do not want to leave as I like it here but this is a promise not a threat. If it deteriorates much more I will go somewhere

just my 5 cents worth
Ed, are you saying that your response times are in seconds not minutes? As in 5-10 seconds to save a listing and begin a new one? How about their drop downs, or image selects? On Opera image selection is quite fast, on other browsers it crawls sometimes. While I don't live in a big city, we are not backwoods by any means, and as I have said, other auction sites which use their own software to upload are far quicker. The only saving grace is that TL is just as slow (I think I can mention them because Auctiva and Ebay are in bed together so to speak) and with that program you have to open and close it every 10-15 minutes as it does not release memory. I never seem to have the problem though that some have where listings do not load, though I don't know if they are scheduling them or doing a post now. I don't know, I still vote for server issues. Over the years they have had server issues regarding images and descriptions loading at a different speed other than the rest of the page. That being said, I figutr why should this be any different? We also never know what changes they are making. For all you know, changing the layout of the saved images may have introduced a bug someplace else. That can be a nightmare to debug, though I'm COBOL old school. I wouldn't have a clue with this sort of software.
We can surmise or guess all we want. Resources at Auctiva's end are scarce. trace routes alone indicate how slow everything is at that end compared to the rest of the route.

There is likely enormous packet loss and quality of service issues that relate to the type of local network at Auctiva's end.

Suffice it to say that it is costly to improve the network (and the hardware) to handle the traffic. So at busier times it is almost impossible to get through. (do a search on packet loss and that will explain a lot of what is happening on the network access side).

When Auctiva was purchased by alibaba I think we all felt a change in the corporate culture and caring. This is a profit center for auctiva and there is no reason for them to sink more money into it.

We can moan and try to help solve the problems by guessing what and how many issues there are or just accept reality. More money to improve the network and response times is not likely to happen.
sometimes it does not cost more money all it costs is someone with ability thinking and trying to make a bad thing better. When it does cost money it dosn't have to be huge amounts of money. If we knew more about the recent outage I bet that would give a clue. Their constant "ignoring" of everyhting is a lo like "chicken little" Auctiva soon your sky will be falling. again no threay justb a prediction

I beg you to prove me wrong please I hate change but their are some new things on the horizon.

until than enjoy the ride
Ed, I get the 30-40 second response as well without the refresh. I ONLY get that off peak, early in the AM. The bog down (when I use anything other than Opera) seems to be image related. Still 30-40 seconds compared to 3-5 at some other sites is a bit of an annoyance. Especially now, that they corrupted all my saved listings and I have to redo them. 50 stamp auctions would take me 40 minutes tops someplace else, almost 3 hours with Auctiva. Still, I'm staying with them for now because they are hosting my images on other sites and its way to much work to correct those other sites. Now I don't know if I was to download everything running toTL and then export to another site, whether it would take my images and store them on thir server. The 1000's of listings they corrupted that were saved on Auctiva are simply lost and its water under the bridge. Those I will have to redo no matter what. It's just a tough time of year to start experimenting with another company, but I suspect once the new year rolls around I'll have more time
Ed - if your company is like my old one (and I was downsized in 07 when an Australian outfit bought us) we will be back in demand in I would say 2026. Y2K was never fixed - just a work around until 2028. Tons of companies did it. We actually had COBOL programmers in their 80's reading and checking out code. I was more of an analyst though I can read COBOL. I also was a tester and which is why the fact that Auctiva releases stuff into the production environment without testing annoys the heck out of me. I'd be fired if I did what these folks are doing. Lookandbyeme - I agree, No one needs the cosmetic changes they are doing. The new saved listing page does nothing for me. It certainly doesn't correct all the damage they did to my saved listings thats for sure. And why would ANYONE in their right mind use Auctiva to ship? Is it really cheaper than USPS Click and Ship? At least with the USPS you KNOW it's going to always work. They are trying to get more people to use it so they can lay off workers, so it has to work!
Greg it is NOT cheaper it is same price as ebay and USPS. I have not entertained this idea mainly for the following reasons:

1. At some point may have issues site does now with slowness IF it does not already, I have not used so don't know.

2. Does not compare all of the USPS options such as zone shipping which from NC to Calif on approx 3 and up pound package saves about $5.00 + if it will fit in zone a box. I do not think this was fully thought out before launched. . . (just my thought).

3. The one time I thought about using the scrolling was same as the NEW SAVED LISTING page, immediate turn off.

4. Really do not want to spend lots of time learing new system when I know ebay's and USPS, paypal's.

This offers NOTHING I can see that is not already out there. We can purchase their insurance even if we do not use their system to buy postage. . so nothing really to offer as far as I am concerned.

Had MUCH rather see this energy and money go to other areas. . .that are not already out there.

Just my thought and others may feel differently.
a lot of my slowness is because of my slow internet to the super highway and I have to accept that. sites that are 3 or 4 seconds for you are probably 6 or 7 for me. there used to be a site called www.speedtest.net that would time your throughput.

The neat one was SurfSpeed 2 from PC Mag that timed you to known servers (yahoo;eBay;apple; etc.) and than would compare that speed to others in your area and also compare to other ISPs. I think it stills exists give it The Google

as to your corrupt listings couldn't Auctiva restore the previous ones. I deleted all mine one time and they were able to restore them (I assume from a backup)
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.