Skip to main content

I participated in every boycott over the years, and this one too. Here I am sitting on the sidelines, nothing listed, and I watch the site numbers daily for listings to see what happens. What happens? Very little. I realize the numbers were inflated last week with the 20 cent sale day, and there will probably be a big drop in listings later this week, but you know what? This boycott isn't going to do shit. Just like all the other ones didn't do a thing. How much do you want to bet that only 1% of sellers even know there's a boycott, or just couldn't care less?

I've been reading angry messages from sellers in numerous forums. What percentage of the total number of sellers do you suppose that represents? 2%? 3%? 5%? Everyone is screaming they're going to bring eBay down. Yea, right on brother.

Then there is the group that's screaming they're leaving and never coming back. It's the final straw. Go elsewhere. I'm setting up my own shop, blah, blah, blah. Does anyone think a 1000 people leaving will do anything? 10,000? I don't think so.

Fact is, for a seller like me, there is no where else to go. My type of item does not lend itself to some obscure private store. Those other web sites have no sales, no buyers, no items.

I'm really so sick and tired of what's happened this week, it's disgusting. Selling for 11 years, and now this turmoil.

"Go to the other sites and the buyers will follow!" What crap. The buyers are going to go to eBay, because that's where the items are, and always will be. All of these "big sellers" I see who are "moving out" don't have any of the items I'd want to buy anyway, so what effect does that have? None.

Oh, by the way, oil closed above $100 a barrel today. Are you going to boycott the oil companies too?

The world is just F'ed up. Greed runs it all.

Ramble over. No use replying.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

JeffS,
I have to agree with you 100%. I too have the kind of items that can ONLY be sold on Ebay. I've been adhering to the boycott but you're right, it's so very discouraging. If I had somewhere else to go, I'd be gone. I fear that's the case with most of us. Every day I find out some new bit of bad news and I just wonder when will it all end.

*SIGH*
quote:
Originally posted by member_8880:
JeffS,
I have to agree with you 100%. I too have the kind of items that can ONLY be sold on Ebay. I've been adhering to the boycott but you're right, it's so very discouraging. If I had somewhere else to go, I'd be gone. I fear that's the case with most of us. Every day I find out some new bit of bad news and I just wonder when will it all end.

*SIGH*

Perhaps one day a group of investors will get together and sink a few million into the development of an alternative and competitive auction arena. It's done a lot in other markets, so let us hope it happens in this one too. Smile In the mean time, business as usual at eBay. Making adjustments to my selling strategy so we still make a profit etc etc... I read somewhere once that if you don't sway in the wind like a tree, the hurricane will crush you.

Smile

Best regards,
quote:
OK, I did not know of any boycott....

Check out the following link.
http://www.consumertipsreports.org/ebay_sellers_beware_...policy_may_bite.html

However, I agree with Jeff,
quote:
Does anyone think a 1000 people leaving will do anything? 10,000? I don't think so.

The Oil and Gas industry is a lucrative one in parts of Canada, and when prices rocket, there is always talk of a boycott. The reporters ask the gas companies what their attitude toward that is and their reply is always the same, "sure boycott us for a couple of days, but when your car runs out of gas you will have to fuel up somwhere." I think Greedbay has the same attitude. They know the 10,000 will return after a time of storing product without any profit.
Maybe I have something typed into my excel spreadsheet wrong...but example:
OLD WAY:
Selling Coupons:
Cost of Item is: 0
actual cost of Shipping is: .41
starting price: .99
selling price: .99
Ebay Shipping: .41
Insertion Fee: .30
Paypal: .34
Gallery: .59
Total Fees = 1.28
Profit is: .99
LOSS: -.29
New Way:
Selling Coupons:
Cost of Item is: 0
actual cost of Shipping is: .41
Ebay Shipping: .41
Insertion Fee: .15
Paypal: .34
Gallery: .00
Total Fees = .58
Sale Profit is: .99
GAIN: .41

So, on a .99 cent auction....one bid, I won't lose money on the deal......where now, 1 bid and I still lose money unless I inflate my shipping.

Am I off somewhere????
Looks like your numbers are more discrete than what I sell. The post office is what kills my sales. People just don't realize it doesn't matter if their item weighs 2 oz or 13, it's still gonna cost $4.60 for shipping. As far as inventory, 0...good for you. You got a good deal going.
I see your numbers and they look right for you, but it's not the same for me....I will take a hit!
I played with that calc a little more, and figured that the only time I really had problems was if a made a huge profit from starting price from .99 to like $20. I charge calculated shipping plus a handling charge for boxes or what not....Like I said though, I'm new at this and not taking much for chances on what I put on here. If I have to pay $5.00 for something, that's my starting price...just because I don't have the money to be taking that big a hit in the pocket...maybe once I've become a powerseller it might be different, but, I'm doing this to pay bills, not lose money...if you know what I mean. SO, more like a part time job/hobby.
If you start items at $9.99, and never used Gallery, and had a good sell through rate, with an average end price of $20-$50, you're getting screwed under the new fee plan - as am I. The increase is on the average of 40%.

If you always used Gallery, had a very low sell through, and listed lots and lots of things, well, you come out ahead.

This by far is the model of the mega-seller for which this asinine plan has been designed. List a bazillion items of which 5% sell. It was not designed for the small seller who sells most of what he lists. It takes extreme advantage of the small seller or the seller of more unique, less listed, items.

Occasionally I have an item that sells for several hundred dollars. On these items, the increase is 5% or less, so you see, the lower the sale price, the worse it is. Anything under $100 and you're taking a big hit.

In short, it just plain sucks.
quote:

1). Don't forget the FVF at 8.75%

That's ONLY on the first $25, or a fixed price of $2.19 on items > $25. Anything over $25 is charged $2.19 + ((price - 25.01) * .035). That amount used to be $1.31 at 5.25%, or an increase of 88 cents for the $25 item. 88 CENTS!

So, any item that sells for $25 or more, is automatically 88 cents or more in fees. The difference from $25 to $1000 is only .025% more, not much. The big chunk is every auction $25 or more nets eBay at least 88 cents more. Do the math on that one.

quote:

2). How exactly does Paypal charge... I read 2.9% + $.55 per transaction. Does that mean that they charge us a percentage as well as 55cents, or that it is one or the other? If it is the first answer, we are losing money on our .99 sales.

I don't know the exact Paypal formula. The easiest way is to just look at your Paypal log and use the stated fee amount. Remember you're paying fees on the postage too! Ship a heavy item, and you pay more Paypal fees!
Last edited by jeffs
Well I did a bit of research and as far as I see it, the cost is 2.9% + $.55 per transaction, which isn't that bad on higher priced items. And if your PP account is not verified...you pay 3.9% + .54

Bailey
quote:

So, on a .99 cent auction....one bid, I won't lose money on the deal......where now, 1 bid and I still lose money unless I inflate my shipping.

Am I off somewhere????

My math...
Cost 0
Ebay Shipping: .00 (buyer pays s/h)
Insertion Fee: .15
Paypal: .34(Bailey's calc) .58(my calc)
Gallery: .00
FINAL VALUE FEES: .09(my calc)
Total Fees = .58(Bailey's calc)
Total Fees = .82(my calc)
Sale Profit is: .99
GAIN: .41 (Bailey's calc)
.18 (my calc which includes the FVF and PP charges as I understand them)
It's an aweful lot of work for .41, but an incredible amount for .18
Well I have been trying to avoid this subject for the last couple of Days. As a Powerseller I didn't participate in the boycott as I think it is absurd, the hard cold fact is that during the boycott sales were brisk. I too sell items that can not be found anywhere else but on ebay. I am sick and tired of hearing about this and that, the real truth is that in the end the buyer will pay more because costs have to be passed on to the consumer or you go broke. So instead of complaining I have spent the last week developing a new strategy for my auctions.

First I did a spread sheet at various cost levels such as 1.99, 2.99. 3.99 etc, calculated in all the costs at these various levels including the product. Then marked it up 150%, what does this all mean? I will no longer do auction style formats--it will be all buy it now. I am downsizing my store from featured to basic, I have developed a marking strategy that will go out with every piece and I have put together a customer rewards program. My lowest DSR is 4.7 everything else is 4.8 or higher.

I guess the point is we can bitch and moan all we want but all it will do is create lost sales. While, I on the other hand have decided to put a more positive spin on it that will benefit my business and my customer.....

Sorry but that is my 2 cents worth.....

Burly
Last edited by burly
Burly is right in that the Boycott is most probably a waste of time. That was my original point in this thread. There is no sellers union where a usable collective can be motivated. Without that there's nothing. So amongst the thousands and thousands of messages I've plodded through, I still wonder if more than 1% of sellers knew about this, or participated.
PayPal fees on transactions up to $3,000 is 2.9% + .30. That's a flat $.30 fee per transaction, plus 2.9% of the total transaction.
That's standard for a payment processor. I think I pay more than that for my merchant account...

I did not boycott either. Like others here have stated, eBay is the ONLY place where there's a market for my items. And I make good money. My average ending price is $11.12, and I have nearly a 100% sell-through rate.

Frankly, I find some of the outrage regarding eBay's most recent changes slightly childish. I don't mean this to hurt anyone, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and that's mine. I don't really care if I can't leave feedback for a buyer. Like I said on another forum, I do my absolute best to keep customers satisfied, and I haven't had any negative feedbacks. eBay can change, but my reputation isn't going to.
quote:
It takes extreme advantage of the small seller or the seller of more unique, less listed, items.
The same ones with few alternatives as to where they may sell their items.

I guess that makes sense. Lower the price for those sellers that sell things you can buy anywhere to keep eBay more competitive. Then raise the price for those sellers selling things that would only sell on eBay and they have no choice but to list here.
quote:
This equated to about less than 1/100th of a percent.
Ouch.
quote:
Resistance if Futile!
You will be assimilated.
Roll Eyes Well here is my two cents worth. I'm not a powerseller, have been told I don't sell enough, but I do sell a lot for one little woman trying to earn money to pay for her daughter's wedding. I sell quite a bit but quite a bit I relist. Again, unlike many people, it isn't my primary source of income, I do work full time, but I am using this as a source for additional income. I think I am going to get hurt in the long run, as most of my items are clothing items, that don't sell for much money. Once in a while I do get lucky! Smile I will continue to use Ebay and I guess get banged the extra fees with everyone else Mad
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Jeff:
quote:
It takes extreme advantage of the small seller or the seller of more unique, less listed, items.
The same ones with few alternatives as to where they may sell their items.

I guess that makes sense. Lower the price for those sellers that sell things you can buy anywhere to keep eBay more competitive. Then raise the price for those sellers selling things that would only sell on eBay and they have no choice but to list here.
quote:
This equated to about less than 1/100th of a percent.
Ouch.
quote:
Resistance if Futile!
You will be assimilated.
I just looked, I am a drone.
[quote]here is no sellers union where a usable collective can be motivated. Without that there's nothing.

Jeff, there isn't yet, but take a look at what these people are saying:

The problem facing eBay sellers is a collective problem, and therefore requires a collective solution.

Only the eBay users themselves can truly break the eBay Inc. monopoly, rescue our auction businesses from destruction at the hands of corporate greed, and save the original eBay person-to-person trading concept as an open marketplace of equals.

The eBay users—united, in our millions—can make a new fee-free home for ourselves on the Web and simply move there en masse, replicating the traffic of the eBay.com site.

Together, we can recreate the eBay Community, beyond the reach of eBay Group, Inc. The users made eBay the first time, and we can do it again—this time to suit our needs, rather than just line the pockets of FeeBay executives and shareholders.

Visit www.thepoint.com/compaigns/subat

They've got a plan. Check it out, it may be a start, it may be a big dream, but they have a plan.

ssandee
Hi Ssandee,
Yes there is strength in numbers, but even tho there are millions of members, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Not even remotely soon. Many people still make a good buck on ebay and they're not going anywhere. Not to mention the millions that probably don't even have a clue all of this is going on. So that leaves us nowhere, at least for the time being.

I don't even WANT ebay to fail, like many others here it's the only place I can successfully sell the type of items I have. And no one likes fee increases but everything goes up at least once a year. What people are really concerned about is the inability of a seller to leave a neg for someone that truly deserves it. And of course the fact that ebay has set the bar so high, no one will be able to maintain their DSRs or 100% Fb, and as 'punishment' their listings will end up being buried in a normal search.

I've been around on ebay for a few years, long enough to know that very little ever changes no matter how unhappy the users may be. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all pans out.
Greetings all

Well we have been into this boycott thing now for a few days. I am surprised that it is having some effect. The media attraction is the driving force I do believe. Listings are down apprioxmately 2 million so that is a loss of insertion fees and final value fees. However, what I find interesting is how Wall Street is reacting as the stock moves towards record lows combined with reports that share holders are concerned about Donahoe's ability to run the Company and he isn't even officially the Ceo yet.

Now I understand a second boycott is in the works which is unprecidented. The D-man is trying to put positive spins on everything to cover the reality that sellers are upset mostly not because of fee increases but the loss of Feedback ability; especialy at a time when Buyer Feedback exhortion is on the rise. The 20 cent fee listing day was an example of this spin to inflate the listing numbers.

Sure you are going to have this in the real world too, but it is part of doing business. If there is a second boycott I do hope that it is well organized becuase unless it is it may still mean loss revenues to sellers like myself who are over a barrel due to the speciality of what we sell. I may need to look at expanding my product lines while keeping the speciality products at the core. At least that will give me mulitiple venues to average out my costs.

Well I am rambling now

Burly

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.