Skip to main content

My husband has been having severe back pain for a few weeks now. Last week he went to the ER because he was sick. During a chest xray for bronchitis, they said he had some problems with his T5 and T6 vertebrae. Since he is self employed as a contractor, we will have no income if he has to have surgery or be out of work. All we will have is my income from ebay. Since with my new ebay ID my feedback is at ZERO still, my sales are off from what they were this time last year (at least losing $250 PLUS take home). I am clearing about $280 a week and thats not much. There arent many jobs in our small town, so its not like I can jump out and get a full time job. My husband CAN make the ceiling fans I sell, so we can keep that going if I have to get a job. Just pray it doesnt come to that, I love being a full time mommy to my 4 kids. I need *sale* prayers and *get well* prayers as well please, Steph
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by megnsamsgrace:
Yes, he gets sooo moody. He isnt trying to be mean and he feels bad but it hurts him so much Frown He went through this 5 years ago with his L5, and a cortisone shot worked like a charm! I just hate to see him in agony... thats the worst part of all of this, Steph

Prayers are sent and plenty more where those came from.

My husband has the L5 and L6 and has had it since December 31, 1999. I remember zactly when it happened, he turned at his desk to take a stapler out of a drawer and wham! That was all she wrote, two herniated disks!

He doesn't want to have surgery or do physical therapy. I wish he would for his quality of life issue. Granted it only flares up once every six months or so. He will do zactly what the doc says...bed rest, stretching exercises and ibuprofen. He also doesn't want meds other than ibuprofen. I had him talked into surgery once, but.........then I had some surgery that went quite wrong and well, he uses me as a example why he should NOT have any type of surgery.

My g/friend is an artist/sculptor. She hurt her back 7 years ago. She chose to have an experimental type surgery two years ago. Now the "surgery" is pretty common. Needless to say, the term harping wife now suits me when the talk of my back hurts and surgery comes up. It's outpatient surgery, no anesthesia and more. It worked wonders for her! She states she'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I can well understand your want/need to stay home. I wanted to be the one to raise my children so I retired from the business world in 1985 and never looked back. It was the best decision I could have ever made! Granted we could have been better off financially if I'd worked..but life isn't nor should it be all bout the green.

Here's the down-low!
Blessings to you and hubster!
Donna

What is LED/TA (Lumbar Endoscopic Discectomy and Thermal Annuloplasty)?

LED/TA is an outpatient surgical procedure to remove herniated disc material. An anesthesiologist provides intravenous sedation. The surgeon also uses local anesthesia. With the help of x-ray guidance and a video endoscope, a 3mm probe is inserted through the skin into the herniated portion of the disk. The herniated nucleus is then removed with a shaver, suction and disc grasping instruments, thereby lowering the intradiscal pressure. The rest of the disc is left intact. The puncture in the skin is very small in comparison to larger incisions required for open surgery.

LED/TA is different from open lumbar disc surgery because there is no damage to the back muscles, no bone removal or large skin incision. Most of the complications that may occur with open surgery are eliminated with the LED/TA procedure.
Good Morning to all, especially Steph. If there is anything that I believe in it's prayer! I feel your pain and hurt for you. So, I will add your name to my prayer journal. I learned long ago to write requests down so I have them in front of me. I think one of the hardest things in life is pain, but, then to add to this less income. It just takes so much to live, but, I will tell you first, you and your family do your part, and, God will provide. I will tell you that I have learned to live very comfortably on less since I have retired. It is amazing--my cleaning bill was out of this world when I worked because I wore nice suits, now I wear pants suits that I can laundry myself. I ate out alot because I was a workaholic--now I enjoy eating at home more. I had 3 credit cards--and used them! Paid them off and what a relief. I could go own and own. My niece and her husband also are wonderful examples of learning to live within their means--his job was downsized, and, guess what, he was out the door! You should see them today--have everything they need, plus more, because they learned to use their money wisely. They have 3 children, and, they don't lack for a thing!!! And, they live well, but, more wisely.
Now, I hope that you are not picking up the wrong message--it cost to live, especially with children!!! But, as I said, it is amazing that when you do your part, God just steps in. I have even prayed about my eBay venture--I am really not to the point yet that I can say that I have made any money, but, I believe that I am on the way. I enjoy auction selling on the Internet so I feel that it is for me. One of the main things that has come from this eBay ventue is friends--even on the internet. When I need help, someone will give me advice, such as Donna who wrote above. You will need to have that type of support as you become a caregiver.
Just don't give up--we are all you friends and praying for you and your family.
THanks guys!
Donna: The L5-L6 was a "fractured vertebrae" that probable happened towards the end of his growth spurt, thats what the dr said then. This time, we arent sure what it is. The dr or whoever saw him in the ER just said that there was something there causing the pain, just didnt know what (it was a chest xray, not a back one). But he isnt a candidate for surgery. My husband is a big guy, 6'1, 300lbs and very broad. The last dr we saw said he would be too scared to do surgery because he would rip back open. So if it is a herniated disc, then your friends surgery sounds perfect. Whats is the recovery time?
Betty: We know that God has us in his hands. Thats why I am not even out searching for a job, because I know that God will cover us. We have lived off very little income in the past 10 years and there were times when we had $20 for groceries (had just 2 kids at the time) and had no money for cable.. but we made it through and are stronger for it. So I know God can heal my husband in a heartbeat and he can get back to work without pain. God can also bless my ebay venture enough where I can still do that and he can be home. Nothing is beyond Gods reach. I have faith. Steph
quote:
Originally posted by megnsamsgrace:
The last dr we saw said he would be too scared to do surgery because he would rip back open. So if it is a herniated disc, then your friends surgery sounds perfect. Whats is the recovery time?

Recovery time?
She walked out of the hospital. Outpatient surgery in the morning and out by 5:00 that late afternoon.

She was home recuperating and felt up to snuff in two days and almost totally well in 3 days.

She swears by this type of surgery. She was a former nurse in her before children life. She's been home with her children since their birth but keeps up her certification with ongoing ed classes. So I DO trust her and what she states about the surgery.

It's definitely a new approach and I'm not sure if your doctor would be willing to try..but it's worth a try.

Sending good thoughts,
Donna
Well with our insurance we have a hard time finding a dr. So hubby was able to get into a chiropractor. He has a new fracture of T5-6. But thats not what his causing his pain. So after an hour and a half WITH the dr she is having new xrays done and is going to see if its something she can pop into place. She thinks its a "bulged disc" whatever that is. So he goes back on Friday and we will get the results and see what can be done. Thanks again, Steph
Well I don't want to highjack your thread Steph and don't want to make another but could use some prayers myself. My mom had another heart attack this morning. Frown This is the second one in a few months time, last time she got a couple stints put in, this time its looking like heart surgery. she really isn't healthy, diabetes, Over weight, high blood pressure, heart problems, arthritis (sp?).

sorry steph about the highjack, just needed to vent for a minute but didn't want to draw attention (from that other crowd, ya know) Wink
quote:
She thinks its a "bulged disc" whatever that is

This can Not be popped back into place. This is what I have 3 bulged discs, 2 in lower back and 1 in middle back and I'll tell you it isn't fun. I can't do anything for longer then 5 or 10 minutes at a time, if I do I'm in tears cause I'm hurting so bad. Heck it takes me 2 hours to do 30 mins. worth of dishes cause I can only stand there for a few minutes at a time.
quote:
She thinks its a "bulged disc" whatever that is. So he goes back on Friday and we will get the results and see what can be done. Thanks again, Steph

Now that's what my husband has and my g/friend I was speaking of.

A bulging disk is the same as a herniated disk.

Be sure to do research there's plenty of information.

I have no clue about chiropractors. Hubster won't go near them. I've not ever <knock on wood> had a need to try one.

But I do know that the gelatin disk is the cushion between the disks and once it's seeped out from between the disks...ouch! Nerves are exposed and it's VERY paintful!

Hubster never had surgery to correct the problem. When he has a flare-up, which is once or at most twice a year...it's usually anywhere from 3-5 days bedrest, ibuprofen and alternating hot and cold compresses.

Keep me apprised! I have sent good thoughts and strength both of your way. (along with continued prayers)

Take care, Donna
quote:
Originally posted by AngelLisa:
My mom had another heart attack this morning. Frown This is the second one in a few months time, last time she got a couple stints put in, this time its looking like heart surgery. she really isn't healthy, diabetes, Over weight, high blood pressure, heart problems, arthritis (sp?).

I will also send good thoughts, strength and prayers your families way.

No worry about hijacking. It's fine. When good thoughts and prayers are needed they should be asked for, no matter where the place is.

Blessings,
Donna
Sorry for posting and running... just a VERY busy week!
First, Lisa, my prayers for your moms speedy recovery. No worries about the hijack Wink

Now, after a round of Xrays what the chiropractor found was a definite new fracture of T5 and I think T6. L5 is showing no fracture as before, just that it is a LOT lower than it is supposed to be and that probably caused the pain he was having before.
They found no bulged disc either. They found that one of his vertebraes "stuck". Instead of twisting like it should, it stuck in one position. Easy fix, just pop back into place. But then Sunday the turkey went and struggled to buckle his dad into the handicap van and reached too far down and pulled a muscle. But right now, they are doing ice ice ice and they gave him a free hour massage today. Once the swelling in his back goes down they will pop the vertebrae back into place.
thank you for your prayers everyone, we are just hoping for a quick recovery Smile
quote:
Lisa, any updates on your Mom?

Hi D, haven't been around for a few days lifes been busy busy. She is okay, was only there for 2 days this time. Actually the doctor screwed up last time when he put in the stints he didn't overlap them enough and the artery (sp?) collasped in between them. All is fixed now and okay (I pray anyway).

I know my parents are unhealthy and won't be around forever but I'm not ready to lose either one of them I think with everything else going on it would be enough to put me over the edge and send me to a looney bin for sure.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.