Skip to main content

ALERT UPDATE: EPA IGNORING PUBLIC OPPOSITION TO TESTING CHEMICALS ON KIDS

Several months ago, the Organic Consumers Association alerted its readers to an EPA
proposed rule that would allow pesticide and other chemical testing on children. The rule
allows for government and industry scientists to treat children as human guinea pigs in
chemical experiments in the following situations:

1) Children who "cannot be reasonably consulted," such as those that are mentally
handicapped or orphaned newborns may be tested on. With permission from the
institution or guardian in charge of the individual, the child may be exposed to chemicals
for the sake of research.

2) Parental consent forms are not necessary for testing on children who have been
neglected or abused.

3) Chemical studies on any children outside of the U.S. are acceptable.

Thanks to all of you, over 50,000 comments were generated to the EPA condemning this
proposal. Despite overwhelming input from citizens, congress, and EPA's own scientists
opposing the proposed rule, the agency's administrators have announced they are days
away from approving the proposal and allowing chemical testing on children.

"The fact that EPA allows pesticide testing of any kind on the most vulnerable, including
abused and neglected children, is simply astonishing," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.
Even EPA's own scientists are speaking out against the agency's proposed rule. "I am
somewhat dismayed that this rule was presented in such a complex -- and I would have to
say, tricky -- way," said Suzanne Wuerthele, a regional toxicologist for the EPA. Earlier in
2005, Congress mandated that the EPA must ban all chemical testing on humans without
exception, in order for the agency to be allocated its full budget. EPA has clearly failed to
do this with this proposed rule. Tell Congress to advise the EPA against publishing this
rule:

Learn more and take action here: http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa6.cfm
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Snopes last updated on this issue was back in:
31 August 2005

Almost one year ago!

Did you read the link I posted?
http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa6.cfm

quote:
Friday, June 23, 2006

ALERT UPDATE: The EPA has published a final human chemical testing rule here. Unfortunately, the agency did little to respond to the tens of thousands of citizens opposed to the loopholes in the original proposed rule. The EPA responds to the comments by moving the problematic sections of the proposed document (see below) to other parts of the document. One aspect of the final rule that is positive is that the EPA further articulates that the rule bans all intentional dosing.

Still, the rule has many loopholes (see below) regarding "observational dosing." Observational dosing can have its benefits when conducted via legitmate methods. But, historically, that has not been the practice of chemical companies seeking to weaken regulations on their products by testing on humans . . .

Something I feel strongly about and hoped that others would as well. I felt the need to let as many people know about this wrong doing.
I sent mine in and sent it to everyone I had an address for. Im not against human testing on individuals that give their consent to be tested on, as long as they have been declared mentally capable to give consent and understand what they are doing. But I am very, very against any testing on anyone without consent. As for children go, I am against that period. It is sickening to think our society would even consider such a thing, regardless of their condition. I swear one of these days man will come out of the dark ages and stop doing some of the things being done all around the world everyday...things you wouldnt believe and probably wouldnt want to know. Frown
Thanks, I know its probably not that big of a deal to some folks. I mean the worst part of it was dropped and the new law written to help protect children but again there are loop holes and we know how the "officials" like to use loop holes.

The overuse and abusive of chemicals in our society is something I feel strongly about and if there is something I can do to help make this world a better place then by all means I'll do what I can. Not just on this specific issue but on any issue that has to do with chemicals in our daily lives.

I'll step off my soapbox now so we can return to our regular scheduled programing Razz
My wife and I buy most (if not all) of our produce at Whole Foods and places like that so I forget what regular grocery stores are like -- but I had to laugh the other day when I saw a sign at an Albertson's that said the produce was "waxed for freshness".

I know the wax is not as much of a chemical issue (except for the "food grade" petroleum, I guess) but it reminded me.

It's just funny that they make a point to explain the waxing but don't offer any warning about what else is on/in the produce.
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Bradford:
My wife and I buy most (if not all) of our produce at Whole Foods and places like that so I forget what regular grocery stores are like -- but I had to laugh the other day when I saw a sign at an Albertson's that said the produce was "waxed for freshness".

I know the wax is not as much of a chemical issue (except for the "food grade" petroleum, I guess) but it reminded me.

It's just funny that they make a point to explain the waxing but don't offer any warning about what else is on/in the produce.

My family thinks I'm cuhhhrazy because I won't buy any produce that's advertised as being grown outside the US. <shrug>

I don't know what types of anything was used on those items that will be ingested by my family.

It's just as Rick stated..it's what's on and in the produce is the way I think bout it.

I know, I know...our standards aren't that much higher..but at least they're higher.

It's one of the reasons I began a garden years ago. I test the soil and use natural only. Sure there's bugs..but that I can live with.

Peace,
Donna
yep.. we americans think we cannot become again like we once were....get so brainwashed to allow robbery and killing the indians to help the robber barons... BUT ALAS... its here ALL AGAIN!!!.... anything that will help the short term profits of the robber barons this is what the govt is doing.... so always follow the money... if something affects the profits of the robber barons.. the govt will give out what is needed for them no matter how many americans it will harm...now watch for public water systems... and other areas where the expense will not lower the taxes on the rich....

look at the 1950's and now and compare the transfer of americans wealth from the people to the few...our founding fathers who fought for this principle of WE THE PEOPLE are now turning over in the their graves seeing how america has become what they was fighting against... the power and wealth with the FEW.. like the kings of england....
agreed, it's all about the $.

we allow all sorts of stuff in our foods that many other countries prohibit, all because big corporations want it and have the $ to influence the govt.

i think the first step would be to put an end to professional politicians.

admitedly, we're better off than many countries, but in many ways we're also worse off.
Not to mention pharmaceuticals. Yet everybody is gung ho about trying the brand new miracle drug -- even though they shook their heads at the people who tried the last one and ended up with serious problems because of it. When drugs are new on the market, every customer is a guinea pig.

But in a culture where people are more concerned about treating symptoms rather than the actual problems what can you do?

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.