Skip to main content

Has anyone ever marketed and successfully sold a Christmas In July campaign? Yes? No?

July 4th is on a Tuesday.

So, launching on the 5th and 6th (ending on the 12th and 13th) would be a good start 'IF' Christmas In July is even worth the trouble. Let me know, thanks.

PS - If it is a good marketing campaign, let's all do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Some people should be content watching the grass grow. Instead of committing felonies.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Glad you brought that up as I've been flip-flopping about what to do about the 4th holiday.

Some people are saying that they are making a long weekend out of the holiday and taking Saturday thru Tuesday off. (Including or not packing up and leaving Friday night) That means four days (or more) with folks gone or four days where folks could be bored and sitting in front of their computers spending money.

I hadn't decided one way or another.

I do know with gas prices the way they are and the heat factor of this summer, alot of persons I know aren't going anywhere.

Tell ya what I'm gonna do..I'll hit some of my selling message boards and get a general feel for the Christmas in July Sale. (didn't we do this last year or the year before?)

Thanks Magie,
Donna
(sorry, I still haven't sent you my mailing address, DOH! I'll get to it today)
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of launching on the 5th and beyond because I wasn't sure anything before that would be worth the trouble (one holiday at a time?). However, there might be buyers sitting around browsing and buying stuff during the 4th. Where's BF when you need him? Who knows the general eBay sales stats for last July? Maybe we can see an upswing in sales from last year and go with that as a launch/ending times?

I think a group effort is always better than going it alone. More exposure. All for one and one for all works for me. In fact, I have mentioned to a few sellers (who aren't in direct competition w/me) that I would be happy to do a link back to their store or Me page banner exchange. I'm willing to exchange banners with sellers who have a great reputation and so forth. Just let me know.

As far as another listing special I was thinking they 'might go with one because of next week being a holiday but it doesn't look like they will. If they do, I'm guessing it would be tomorrow BUT I do not think they will. Hey, I could be wrong. More likely, they will do one next month as they gear up for the 'real' selling season. That's my best guess. If I get an idea about a listing special, I'll post it. Wink

Okay, let's get on this. IF it is a good idea, we have little time to get ready for it.

PS - Donna, no worries. It will be here for you.
quote:
Originally posted by Magie Noire:
I think a group effort is always better than going it alone. More exposure. All for one and one for all works for me. In fact, I have mentioned to a few sellers (who aren't in direct competition w/me) that I would be happy to do a link back to their store or Me page banner exchange. I'm willing to exchange banners with sellers who have a great reputation and so forth. Just let me know.

As far as another listing special.....

Hey, I could be wrong. More likely, they will do one next month as they gear up for the 'real' selling season.

Okay, let's get on this. IF it is a good idea, we have little time to get ready for it.

PS - Donna, no worries. It will be here for you.

I'm kicking back until eBay truly goes into hyperdrive in August for back to school.

I think eBay will have a dime day at that time to get the ball rolling.

I also think with Gpay starting up that eBay will finally feel competition and begin throwing we the sellers more "bones." And that should start about the same time as the "season."

Magie, Remember the webring that Burly did for we SD members. I belonged to that ages ago as I know you did. The worst thing about web rings is when one person leaves it breaks the ring. I left it because it was broken and wouldn't continue onto all of the sellers.

Anyhoooooooo, As soon as I get all of my auctions changed over to the new template, I had plans to do doing something similar to what you've suggested with banners and such. (GMTA) Have you seen in the stores forum where they have members that ageed to switch links with others..kinda like that but not so over the top. I saw one site that had at least 100+ banners. Too many for me to go through.

I participated in the Christmas in July SD group/members sale...I can't remember how well it did. Dang, it's hard getting old! <smile>

I have GOT to get to work..
Donna
Hi everyone, as you know I mostly sell collectibles...I save all the christmas stuff I run across all year in boxes and have a huge Christmas Items auction linking all the items together on each auction page...I do this during Thanksgiving week and people seem to eat it up.

I put somewhere in the auction title the actual object name for that auction but with other words I push the entire linked auction. The description always reads like....Huge Christmas items sale 7 days only, all starting at $$ bid regardless of actual value.Then I go through a generic list of things in the entire auction without actually mentioning brand names..if you use brand names ebay will pull the ads.

So instead of saying Hallmark ornaments...I just say Popular Ornaments etc and then put a link saying Click Here to see all the items in the auction, in big letters. I have always had great success with this type auction, selling some things I never would have sold normally. Also many of ther buyers are multiple purchasers.

I just figured I would share anything I have had success with...I figure if it worked for me..it may work for others as well. I have never tried a CIJ sale before...You think it would work? Would anyone be looking for xmas junk?
quote:
They might consider a list of product types keyword spamming as well -- especially if someone reports it. Not complaining, of course, just saying.

Yea, Thats how I found out you couldnt use brand names...the hard way..lolol. Someone did report me the first time I ever had one of them. According to the letters ebay sent me..I was not in violation for pushing my other auctions...only that I could not put actual names of items in all the listings.

What got me was after they pulled a bunch of them and I had to relist them...they wanted me to answer some questions about their actions...Did I feel it was fair? Did I think they handled the situation properly..and then wanted my suggestions about how I thought they should conduct these type actions and so on. Like it matters what I think..lol.

Although, when they were implimenting the new ebay format we all use now...they ask for suggestions and I told them I would like a generic count of whos watching my auctions. I dont know if others suggested it or not..but a few days later we had a watchers column..I really like that feature.

Ive never had an item with 7 or more watchers that didnt sell..so I know if I reach 7 watchers but no bids..its gonna sell most likely. gives you a better idea about relisting..I mean if I get 5 watchers and it doesnt sell...then I just need to tweak the ad a little. Lower the price or something.
You are right, with ebay you never know what the heck they are going to do. You have to figure if they wanna pull your listing or anything for that matter..they will find a reason to do it...lol. I havent had to much problem with them..but I have read where others have. I guess if I stay out of their backyard they will stay out of mine..lol I hope anyway!
Lots of $$$ to ya!, William Smile

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.