Skip to main content

I sold an item to a customer on Feb. 15th.

After a week(my "grace period") I emailed and asked for payment. She emailed back and said that they were in the process of moving and did not have internet, but it would be set up within the week and she would pay.

After another week, I emailed and asked for payment. She said that it was in the mail.

After another week, I emailed and asked for payment. She said that she would put it in the mail "tomorrow" and marked the item as "payment sent".

After another week, I emailed and asked for payment. She told me that she had paid through PayPal twice, and they had taken her money both times. She said that she would try to pay through PayPal again. I sent her a money request.

Today, she sent an email saying that she could not pay through PayPal because she was getting an error message saying that she was not the winning bidder. She offered to send me a check. I sent her a new PayPal money request that was not associated with an auction.

In the meantime, I viewed her feedback and saw that this is the norm, and that she leaves scathing negs for sellers. I haven't received a neg yet, so I'm trying to maintain my perfect record, which is why I'm bending over backward.

I haven't heard anything from her since I sent the new money request.

The item is one that I keep multiples of, so I haven't been losing money by having it sit around here. But now, my last one will sell on Sunday and so I want to either collect money for hers, or put it back up for auction.

Any advice on dealing with this situation?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had one like this a while ago. I told them that the item was back up for auction and that the auction ended on XX date. If her payment was received before the end date, I would cancel the auction and send it to her. Otherwise, it was out to the highest bidder.

My inventory is a stack of cash (in my view). Cash that I can't have while the inventory is still "inventory". Bad buyers are stopping me from using MY cash.

I gave up on a perfect score a while ago. As long as it stays in the 97-98 range I am happy. For me, if I had 100%, I would be wasting to much time accomodating morons.

Just my opinion. Big Grin
CT I have had this happen three different times. This is what I have done in all three cases. File an unpaid item dispute. Click on dispute console in "my ebay" and you will see where to read about it and file. Ebay will send them a gentle reminder to pay and give them x number of days to do so. After that and they do not respond you can close the dispute and get back your final value fees. They get an unpaid item strike and the best part is you can leave them negative feedback but they cant leave any feedback for you.
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina28690:
the best part is you can leave them negative feedback but they cant leave any feedback for you.

Hey hey - this is what I needed to know! Thanks much!

I've filed UPI twice... I had incorrectly remembered that the buyer was able to leave FB for me, but that my FB was withdrawn from the buyer. But reading what you said, I remember that it was the other way around - the buyers FB was withdrawn from my page.

Cool, I feel much better.
This only applies, however, if the buyer DOES NOT respond to the dispute. I believe--and I asked on Ebay boards--that if the buyer responds in any way to the dispute, i.e., I intend to pay--he/she CAN leave feedback. This was how it was explained to me. I recently went through the UPI process and the buyer (term used loosely) did respond, stating that she would pay. She never did. I gave up and filed the unpaid item, then debated whether I should leave negative feedback. Many on the Ebay boards advised against it--since I was sure to receive retalitory feedback--stating that an unpaid item strike is worse than any negative feedback I could give. The buyer is no longer a registered user.
I did have a buyer to respond saying he could not pay for whatever reason. I left him negative feeback after that, closed the dispute, got my fees back, and he could not leave me any feedback because "he never actually paid for the item".
I had another buyer who won an auction and would not pay. He bought the identical item from someone else a little cheaper the same night. I filed another dispute and he could not leave any feedback either. Ebay finally kicked both of them off.
How can one leave feedback "when one has not paid for what they bought".?
I wanted to revisit this and found the following on Ebay:
Losing feedback privileges:
When a buyer does not respond to an unpaid item notification and the seller issues an unpaid item strike against them, the buyer can still leave a feedback comment, but the feedback rating they leave for the transaction WILL NOT APPEAR AND WILL NOT COUNT TOWARD THE SELLER'S FEEDBACK SCORE.
An ebay administrative note will appear under the feedback comment, explaining the the member did not participate in the unpaid item process.
Buyers should always respond to disputes opened within the unpaid item process.If you have resolved the situation outside of this process (for example, by making a payment by phone or e-mail), please go back to the dispute console to enter a comment. Otherwise, you may lose your feedback privileges for that transacation.
NOTE: When an UNPAID ITEM DISPUTE is closed automatically, the BUYER WILL LOSE FEEDBACK PRIVILEGES IMMEDIATELY. This happens when the buyer is no longer a registered user of ebay at the time of the unpaid item filing or is from a country to which the seller has indicated they will not ship.
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina28690:
CT I have had this happen three different times. This is what I have done in all three cases. File an unpaid item dispute. Click on dispute console in "my ebay" and you will see where to read about it and file. Ebay will send them a gentle reminder to pay and give them x number of days to do so. After that and they do not respond you can close the dispute and get back your final value fees. They get an unpaid item strike and the best part is you can leave them negative feedback but they cant leave any feedback for you.

Only if they do not respond to the dispute.

If they respond (I had a buyer leave an X for a response) they can leave you a neg.
I am dealing with one sneaky buyer.

I filed the UPI, saying that I had not received payment.

She contacted me and said that she wanted to back out of the sale. I said fine. I told her that she had to respond to the UPI dispute and then I would mark it as us agreeing to cancel the sale.

She reponded saying "Hi!!!".

Then she email me again saying, for the second time, that she just wanted to back out of the sale.

So I marked the dispute as us mutually agreeing to back out of the sale.

Then she went in, said that she did not agree, she still wanted the item, and closed the dispute. And I haven't heard from her since. Now I get no credit and she doesn't get a strike. Clever.

And after she said she wanted out, I offered her item up for sale on a second chance offer. So I may not even have it to give to her if she DID pay.

What the heck do I do, now?
quote:
So I marked the dispute as us mutually agreeing to back out of the sale.

Then she went in, said that she did not agree, she still wanted the item, and closed the dispute. And I haven't heard from her since. Now I get no credit and she doesn't get a strike. Clever.

OH Im going through this right now myself , i had a buyer do a buy it now and then email me and ask does it fit a 30GB Video/Photo Ipod "cause the screen looks to small" i replied that it does not fit the Video Ipod but the Photo Ipod which is a totally different ipod (Evo2 Vs Evo3!)

so i tell him that no prob , he bought it as a mistake and i will just send a mutual agreement and neither of use will have to pay.

i send it and he replies to it almost immediate with "i e-mailed the seller a couple times to ask about the item purchased with no response. the item
described is not the item sold basically. the seller said it was one thing and it is not. i will not
pay any fee's. "

GRRR , i reply with the following :

The item is EXACTLY what is listed , YOU do NOT KNOW what ipod you have !!!!
It says NOWHERE that it fits an ipod video !
NOW you will have to pay for the item or take an unpaid item strike , if you had just said we had agreed not to complete the sell, nobody would have had to pay , now i have to pay the fees for selling it to YOU , so YOU are going to pay me for the item you bought , any questions should have been answered BEFORE purchase , i was very nice , most buyers would have given you an unpaid item strike for backing out of the purchase , but you think i should pay for your mistaken purchase , sorry ebay does not work that way , when you clicked buy it now , you bought it , i expect payment within 24 hours , Thank you .
So i go to file an unpaid item and i CANT !
im so ticked off i researched this guys name and sent my brother after him in Halo LOL

I emailed ebay but havent gotten a response , i think its ridiculous now that i have to eat the auction and final value fees because i gave the guy a break Frown
I agree that it is unfair the buyers can come in and say essentially whatever they want and close the dispute. Like in my case, where she said she was going to pay - and she still hasn't by the way. But I suppose that it can work both ways, too, and some sellers can do the same. Most people on eBay are really great to work with, but there are always a few bad apples.

I emailed eBay and it took them about a week to get back to me, but they did give me my fees back. So it turned out good in the end, and I hope that you get your fees refunded, too.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.