Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I discovered that this morning.

I had a sale from my ecrater last night.

I sign in this morning to find not only one email from her but a couple more from her.

Ecraters are down. I hope not gone. This is the first time I've seen this...ever! Auctiva is supposed to be working on their own version..don't know how far along they are..but please hurry!

Now I've had to explain to my customer that purchased last night that I'm not here today and gone tomorrow seller on the internet.
<sigh>

Here's her purchase time and date so if you have an ecrater we can be certain it went down after this time.

Order No: 9270
Order Date: 2006-05-03/00:10:31

I'm Eastern Standard Time.

The forums aren't up on ecrater also.

That's one of the things that aggravated me about another service I used to belong to, is if the service was down so was the message boards. There was no way of the owner/operator to leave messages for his customers.

Message boards should be housed on another server totally separate that way you can always be assured that your customers can have access to information.

I've really got to get a working site up!!!!!!
Donna
i dont know how good it is, but am checking out a company for hosting right now. got in on a special with a company that was $7 a month if pay a year at a time. edit - found the link to get the special. It was hidden, but still works Smile Not sure if posting it here would be considered spam or not. since i'm not going to make anything off of it, i dont think it would be (it wouldnt be in my opinion) it's http://www.netnation.com/switch/

Plan I got in on includes tons of space, unlimited data, and a storefront hosted on a different server from your webspace (course, we all know that unlimited traffic doesnt mean unlimited - they have a clause that if you exceed a reasonable amount they reserve the right to discontinue service)

The nice thing about it, is that the storefront is very oscommerce-like. Unlike older shopping cart programs where you have to build templates for searches, product pages, category pages, etc, it's got it all prebuilt. The downside is that it's not "unique" in its look. But it has built in froogle feed, bulk upload of product files, etc.

I'm not saying go sign up with this particular hosting company, cause like i said, dunno how good theyre gonna be, etc. just saying that if you do some looking around you might find a package that's easy to put together and can get site up and going in no time.
Last edited by wayoutwest
this was for my sister. i will be needing more space for my site at some point (nearly out of space on it) but that site has one pain in the butt requirement. it has to be a solaris sun server running apache in order to do a smooth move-over. (shopping cart is specifically for solaris sun server)

dunno if kathy has access to that or not, but will have to definately check with her Wink
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wayoutwest:
Not sure if posting it here would be considered spam or not. since i'm not going to make anything off of it, i dont think it would be (it wouldnt be in my opinion) it's http://www.netnation.com/switch/

Plan I got in on includes tons of space, unlimited data, and a storefront hosted on a different server from your webspace (course, we all know that unlimited traffic doesnt mean unlimited - they have a clause that if you exceed a reasonable amount they reserve the right to discontinue service)

The nice thing about it, is that the storefront is very oscommerce-like. Unlike older shopping cart programs where you have to build templates for searches, product pages, category pages, etc, it's got it all prebuilt. The downside is that it's not "unique" in its look. But it has built in froogle feed, bulk upload of product files, etc.
QUOTE]
I have my own hosting and blah blah blah.
I am just SO intimidated by the Oscommerce and shopping cart.

Beth (ironchick) is paving the way learning as she goes along and keeping me caught up with what works and what doesn't.

There are times I think, oh gosh, sell a kid (joke) and blow a wad of cash to hire someone to do the initial setup for me. I have the design down pat that I want template wise so that's not a problem.

If I were to just pay someone to do the initial making up of the store, I can do the ftp'ing updates and such. It's the initial setting up.

Ya know when I look at someone elses site such as SignsInTime's site or flightoffancy or KWK I think, how talented these folks are to have come this far. But then I stop and think, Hey, I'm smart, I should be able to do this. I believe it's a mental blinders thing, I don't want to have to learn so I'm nor forcing myself.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.

<sigh>

Keep me apprised of how it's going Steve!
Donna
quote:
Originally posted by Suthrnjewl:
I have my own hosting and blah blah blah.
I am just SO intimidated by the Oscommerce and shopping cart.

Beth (ironchick) is paving the way learning as she goes along and keeping me caught up with what works and what doesn't.

There are times I think, oh gosh, sell a kid (joke) and blow a wad of cash to hire someone to do the initial setup for me. I have the design down pat that I want template wise so that's not a problem.

If I were to just pay someone to do the initial making up of the store, I can do the ftp'ing updates and such. It's the initial setting up.

Ya know when I look at someone elses site such as SignsInTime's site or flightoffancy or KWK I think, how talented these folks are to have come this far. But then I stop and think, Hey, I'm smart, I should be able to do this. I believe it's a mental blinders thing, I don't want to have to learn so I'm nor forcing myself.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.

<sigh>

Keep me apprised of how it's going Steve!
Donna
i hear ya, traditional shopping carts are a pain the rear to set up! that's what's nice about this one that i'm setting up for sister. it's already done Smile just set colorscheme, put in logo, adjust a few other settings, write up policy pages, and then start listing Smile very nice for sister's site cause she doesnt know the first thing about html, etc. so now that it's set up (took prolly 8 hours, and most of that was working on policy pages), i just have to teach her how to add product.

the downside is that it looks very "cookie cutter" (amazon-like, etc.) but it's good enough and looks a heck of alot better than ebay express - laf!
Last edited by wayoutwest

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.