Skip to main content

HI ALL,

I HAVE USED THIS TEMPLATE "ART TEASE" MANY TIMES BEFORE BUT RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN HAVING FONT COLOUR PROBLEMS WITH THE TEXT.

BASICALLY WHEN I USED IT BEFORE I USED DIFFRENCT FONT WITH THE DESCRIPTION AND THE DIFFRENT FONTS SHOWED ON EBAY LISTINGS BUT NOW WHEN I USE THIS TEMPLATE AND TRY TO USE DIFFRENT FONTS IT DOES WORK WEN I PREVIEW IT USING AUCTIVA BUT ONCE ITS POSTED TO EBAY ALL THE FONT TURNS INTO WHITE???????????

I TRY TO CHANGE IT THROUGH EBAY IT WONT WORK CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLSSSSSS.

THNX
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi,

How are you attempting to change the Font Color? Do you have a listing number showing the attempt and failure?

Danno

Edit: This section of style code is controlling the font color for the description and seller details. #fff is white.

#wrapper .section,
#wrapper .section_desc { color: #fff; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; }
quote:

Hi,

In this listing, the following code is dictating the white and family:

#wrapper * {
color: #fff;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
}

My code testing suggests removing just the [color: #fff;] piece (I add the brackets for posting clarity) for a trial.

Odd....not seeing the .section and .section_desc and the style sheet is moved? Confused

Also, in place of HTML <FONT color= >, using an inline style code should work, eg.

<p style="color:#ff0000;">my test is now red</p>

Complicated rules with unintended results. Smile I do hope Neil gives this one a look. Me thinks either the code builder hiccup-ed or there is a piece missing. That #wrapper * rule is driving the problem, as even font itself is being overridden by the rule. Roll Eyes

Danno

Edit: Even simpler.....remove the * from the rule. Wink
Last edited by danno
hi dunno,

thnx for reply,

dont take this the wrong way or something but i have no clue wat you are talking about. i am not good with computers my self and all these codes etc you are on about i have no clue.

so you have seen the problem so what do i need to do to correct it all i want is the font to work thats it i am not good html etc if you just give me simple instructions on what i should do i will be greatfull.

many thnx
Hi,

Sorry.......

The problem is the style sheet rules are causing your FONT colors to fail.

That missing code I noted may be the cause (that needs testing), but the effect is that #wrapper * rule is forcing WHITE on everything including the HTML FONTs for those sections; the * or "universal selector" being the culprit. If you remove the * from that style rule, it does appear to relieve the problem on my tests.

This code.....

#wrapper * {
}

Needs to change to this code (minus *).....

#wrapper {
}

This one definitely needs more investigation, as I don't understand why there is missing code.

Danno

Edit: More mystery..... That * isn't on the main template in the library. In fact, this listing code really doesn't match the library code. Confused
Last edited by danno
hi again,

i am really getting confused with this i wen to the description page and i clicked on the html bit and i cant find the codes you are speaking about. i will copy and past everything please point it out to me...

heres exactly wat i see:

<p align="center"><font color="#ff0000" size="6"><u>MICROSOFT XBOX 360 ELITE (120GB) BLACK CONSOLE WITH MASSIVE BUNDLE</u></font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ededed" size="6"></font></p><p align="left"><font color="#0000ff" size="6">HI AND WELCOME TO MY AUCTION FOR XBOX 360 ELITE CONSOLE WITH <font color="#ff0000">7 TOP GAMES, 2 CONTROLLERS</font> AND LOADS OF ACCESSORIES. THE CONSOLE IS IN EXCELLENT USED CONDITION <font color="#ff0000">BUT IT HAS NO BOX</font>. I WILL PACK & POST THE CONSOLE AND ACCESSORIES VERY SECURLY AND SAFELY.</font></p><p align="left"> </p><p align="left"> </p><p align="left"> </p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">HERES A LIST OF WHATS INCLUDED:</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X XBOX 360 ELITE 120GB BLACK CONSOLE</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X POWER LEAD</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X SCART LEAD</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X XBOX 360 LIVE HEADSET</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X EITHERNET CABLE</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X GOLD HDMI CABLE</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X OFFICAL XBOX KEYBOARD</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">1X QUICK CHARGE BATTERY PACK (1 BATTERY INCLUDED)</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">2X CONTROLLERS (1 BLACK & 1 WHITE)</font></p><p align="left"> </p><p align="left"> </p><p align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">7 TOP GAMES ARE:</font></p><ul><li><div align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">EURO 2008</font></div></li><li><div align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">THE BOURNE CONSPIRACY</font></div></li><li><div align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">ASSASSINS CREED</font></div></li><li><div align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">GTA IV</font></div></li><li><div align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">CALL OF DUTY 3</font></div></li><li><div align="left"><font color="#ff6600" size="5">SAINT ROW 1</font></div></li><li><font color="#ff6600" size="5">SAINT ROW 2</font></li></ul><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p><font color="#ff0000" size="6"><u>ONCE AGAIN I WILL REPEAT THERE IS NO BOX OR MANUALS INCLUDED.</u></font></p><p><font color="#ff0000" size="6"></font></p><p><font color="#ff0000" size="6"></font></p><p> </p><p><font color="#ff0000" size="6"></font></p><p> </p><p align="left"><font color="#ff0000" size="5">YOU ARE WELCOME TO PICK THIS ITEM UP FROM  WEMBLEY MIDDLESEX OR I CAN POST IT FOR £20.</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff0000" size="5">PAYMENT FOR PICK UP WILL BE CASH ON COLLECTION OR BY PAYPAL IF POSTED.</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff0000" size="5">IF YOU INTEND TO PICK THE ITEM UP PLEASE CONTACT ME IN ADVANCE TO LET ME KNOW.</font></p><p align="left"><font color="#ff0000" size="5">PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS. GOOD LUCK & HAPPY BIDDING</font></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p align="left"> </p><p align="left"> </p>

what bit shall i remove?

thnx
Hi,

Actually, I'm not seeing that problem code in the template.

It may be a bug in the code builder for this codeset.

Neil, or someone at Auctiva, needs to look at that listing code and examine what happened.

Because the listing has been revised at eBay, it's possible their revise editor has contributed in some way to errors I'm seeing, including some code fragments.

A custom template might at least temporarily solve the problem.

Danno

Update: I'm unsuccessful in attempting to replicate the problem, i.e. the code I'm able to create using the template with the one-page lister doesn't match the problem code in the listing. That includes using your description code you posted. I guess it's possible there was a temporary bug in the code builder at the point the listing was done.
Last edited by danno
That is curious. My hunch is this listing was created from a saved listing which had been around for a while and had an older version of the template. The current version of it does not have the problematic wrapper *... CSS.

So for future listings, maybe start fresh to ensure that the updated version of the template is applied. For this current listing, what you can do is add a style attribute, though it will be kind of a pain. So instead of:

<font color="#ff0000" size="6"><u>MICROSOFT XBOX 360 ELITE (120GB) BLACK CONSOLE WITH MASSIVE BUNDLE</u></font>

Try:

<font size="6"><u style="color: #ff0000;">MICROSOFT XBOX 360 ELITE (120GB) BLACK CONSOLE WITH MASSIVE BUNDLE</u></font>

The style attribute will have to be on the innermost element (in this case the <u> ), since wrapper * will be overwriting everything.
Hi Neil,

OK....glad we agree this one is a hoot for mystery code. Ghost in the machine is a good explanation? Big Grin Did you notice the multiple style sheets?

I honestly thought (and tested) that you didn't need to open and resave a listing to update the template code, i.e. the template code is added at post time by the code builder along with any associated code for a complete codeset. That's why I wasn't concerned so much about the missing code, as the mysterious added code. I was thinking there was a roll update that maybe caught it, which the posting date-time might confirm.

Since the listing has bidders, it does prevent any code updates. White doesn't look bad, so hopefully won't effect the listing's success.

I did test both US and UK for this oddity (they're in my saved lib at last two).

Danno
Last edited by danno
quote:
I honestly thought (and tested) that you didn't need to open and resave a listing to update the template code, i.e. the template code is added at post time by the code builder along with any associated code for a complete codeset.

You're right, I answered in too big a hurry. What I said would only apply if it were a custom template based off the original. Though in ghost-in-the-machine cases like this, sometimes trying things that shouldn't make a difference, will make a difference.

I'm curious if the original poster has made any new listings that still have the problem?
Neil,

The only thing that crossed my mind on the members problem was "UK listing". It did seem possible you might be doing some code adjustments for listings to UK vs. US due to "New Design". That might explain the code difference and/or a codeset difference for that build. It does "look" like Auctiva code, even though I can't place it as previoulsy used. It does get your attention when a FONT code doesn't work.....made me look twice. Can't fool an old coder for too long. hehe

On that subject - Now that eBay has unpinned the thread at the eBay Community Forum for ND, I expect we'll see an announcement soon. Or, at least that was the predicted event to presage the "coming" of that change. Heard anything from your grapevine?

Danno

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.