Skip to main content

Helo. I posteed my first auction with auctiva and everything was great. Well then I tried to go in and edit my profiles so I wouldnt have to keep putting the info in every single time. I did that, it said everything saved ok. Posted a second auction, and now instead of being liek the first and lined up properly and not having to scroll left to right to read, now it looks like this (this is my acutal link) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110285849566
I ended the auction thre times and tried again to no avail. I ended up figuring out that if I didnt use my master profile to start and ust made a new listing, it would post fine. So i did that for my next auction and it worked fin. Then i tried posting the link i posted about for the third time. this time i did a whole new listing and didnt use the master profile and it still came out like this. Please, can anyone help? I dont want to use autiva if I have to input every bit of my info everytime! ANY help would be greatly appreciated. To see what it should look like, look at my other items for sale and click on either or the other to items up right now and you will see. Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi,

The one thing I am spotting immediately: The text line starting "Little Giant PondGlow underwater light kit...." is spanning the entire width of the page, and is apparently governing the width of the page. It goes to the exact margins on both left and right. That might be a clue to why the page is forced to that exaggerated width. There may be something in the code that's not allowing the text to do a normal wrap. I have seen a similar problem with use of no-break spacing.

This specific statement in the code might be the cause:

<pre class="standard1" style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; WORD-WRAP: break-word">

I generally know the Auctiva tags and IDs, and I don't recognize that as one (class standard1). I do see it referenced several times in the code. I've not used the HTML "PRE" extensively, but it suggests text within it's span is already preformatted, e.g. with returns. It's at least a candidate for the problem. All the document widths up to that point are set 95 - 100%, so anything that would push the document wide is suspect.

Danno

edit: "standard1" is set in eBay's section of the code (top of page in style sheet) to set the font size and family.

edit2: I checked one of your other listings, and that "standard1" class isn't used in the description (not an Auctiva piece of code). It appears to only be used in the Seller's payment instructions section of the listing, i.e. by eBay.
Last edited by danno
So just switch it to html mode and list as usual and see how it goes? If you look at the link again (probably irrelevant) I went into ebay and revised my description and I was able to make it a litt less wide. I just hope its not like this all the time. The text looked fine when it was on auctiva (wasn't one big long line like it was one ebay). I was hoping to use auctiva to be easier buy so far its harder. Thanks again for your help.
quote:
So just switch it to html mode and list as usual and see how it goes?

No, I'm suggesting that extra code has been added by you to those sections. You need to inspect those sections in the editor's HTML mode to verify and remove them (as the possible cause).

If you copied the code from another source, e.g. an eBay listing. That's possibily how it got integrated, i.e. you got some unwanted problem code in the copy. That's a guess.....

Danno

Edit: In looking at the Revised listing, I see you added Returns (new paragraphs) to break up the sentences that weren't wrapping correctly. That's reinforcing my suggestion of that extra code as cause of the problem.

My suggestion is to look for that specific piece of code in your Auctiva Description or the pieces of the Master Profile and remove them. There is also a closing tag </PRE> that goes with that piece that needs removing.
Last edited by danno

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.