Skip to main content

I am new to Auctiva and I am having problems customizing a template. I read a post with instructions on how to do this but I have no luck! I am not familiar with HTML but I know how to paste the HTML on the page. But when its time for tags, I am lost! I want my tags directly on the template I pasted. I know I am supposed to move the cursor wherever I want the tags to go but every time I click anywhere, it just highlights my background as if it were selected. I played around with all the tools the editor offers but still, no luck! Someone please help me with my problem! I would greatly appreciate it! Thanx.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi pistolpete822,

Thanks for contributing to our forum. In order to use the custom template that you have the HTML code for when listing through Auctiva, you will first need to add the appropriate custom template tags to the template and save it within your account. To begin that process, you will want to mouse over the “Listings” tab and select the “Create New” option under Custom Templates.

When the Auctiva Custom Templates page loads, you will want to paste the HTML code used to generate your template into the HTML editor that loads by default. Then, click the “Standard” link along the top of the editor and you should see the actual design of the template (instead of the code) within the editor.

At that point, you will want to add the appropriate custom template tags to the template to make it so our system knows where content such as your description and images should be positioned within the template when the template is selected on the lister page. At the very least, you will need to add a [DESCRIPTION_AND_IMAGES] tag before it can be saved.

In order to place one of these tags within your template, you will just need to place your cursor in the location you would like the tag to be placed within the template and then click the link for that tag in the Custom Template Tags menu to the left of the editor.

For example, if you place your cursor within your template and click the “Description and Images” link in the Custom Template Tags menu, the tag for that content which looks like [DESCRIPTION_AND_IMAGES] should be added in that location.

If you use the [DESCRIPTION_AND_IMAGES] tag to dictate where your description and images will be placed within your custom template, they will be grouped together and you will be able to choose from a variety of image grouping and alignment options on a listing by listing basis just like if you were using one of the templates in our library.

However, if you would like to arrange your description and images in a different manner, you will need to place a [DESCRIPTION] tag where you would like your description to be placed and then separate [IMAGE#] tags where you would like each image to be placed.

Finally, once you have saved your custom template within your Auctiva account, you will be able to select it when creating listings through Auctiva by clicking the “Choose Template” button on the lister page and then choosing “Custom” from the category menu in the upper left corner of the template selection interface.

I hope this helps. If you need any further assistance saving your custom template within your account, please contact us by mousing over the “Help” tab and selecting the “File Support Case” option and we will be happy to continue working with you.

-Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Mike D.:
Hi pistolpete822,

Thanks for contributing to our forum. In order to use the custom template that you have the HTML code for when listing through Auctiva, you will first need to add the appropriate custom template tags to the template and save it within your account. To begin that process, you will want to mouse over the “Listings” tab and select the “Create New” option under Custom Templates.

When the Auctiva Custom Templates page loads, you will want to paste the HTML code used to generate your template into the HTML editor that loads by default. Then, click the “Standard” link along the top of the editor and you should see the actual design of the template (instead of the code) within the editor.

At that point, you will want to add the appropriate custom template tags to the template to make it so our system knows where content such as your description and images should be positioned within the template when the template is selected on the lister page. At the very least, you will need to add a [DESCRIPTION_AND_IMAGES] tag before it can be saved.

In order to place one of these tags within your template, you will just need to place your cursor in the location you would like the tag to be placed within the template and then click the link for that tag in the Custom Template Tags menu to the left of the editor.

For example, if you place your cursor within your template and click the “Description and Images” link in the Custom Template Tags menu, the tag for that content which looks like [DESCRIPTION_AND_IMAGES] should be added in that location.

If you use the [DESCRIPTION_AND_IMAGES] tag to dictate where your description and images will be placed within your custom template, they will be grouped together and you will be able to choose from a variety of image grouping and alignment options on a listing by listing basis just like if you were using one of the templates in our library.

However, if you would like to arrange your description and images in a different manner, you will need to place a [DESCRIPTION] tag where you would like your description to be placed and then separate [IMAGE#] tags where you would like each image to be placed.

Finally, once you have saved your custom template within your Auctiva account, you will be able to select it when creating listings through Auctiva by clicking the “Choose Template” button on the lister page and then choosing “Custom” from the category menu in the upper left corner of the template selection interface.

I hope this helps. If you need any further assistance saving your custom template within your account, please contact us by mousing over the “Help” tab and selecting the “File Support Case” option and we will be happy to continue working with you.

-Mike

When I place the cursor in the spot that I want my tag, do I left click? When I do, the whole template gets selected and highlights in blue. I know I am doing something wrong because after it turns blue, I click on a tag and the whole template disappears! Please help! Thanks.
Hi pistolpete822,

Yes, when you place your cursor in the desired spot within the template, just left click once and you should see a line appear indicating that location is selected. It certainly sounds like you are doing a Select All command, but I am uncertain why a single left click would cause everything within the editor to be selected.

At this point, I recommend filing a support case about this from the “Help” tab within your account and we will work with you through that medium. You will be asked to provide some when creating your case, such as which browser and operating system you are using, which may be relevant to finding a solution for you.

-Mike

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.