Skip to main content

everytime i try to upload a pic i get a note warning about that java vulnerabilities.

i know the malicious threats posed by java were newsworthy all weekend.

now it appears that oracle has two fixes in place...this just as of today.

what is auctiva doing about this? is it up to us install the java updates as well?

itsjustme or is it?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Community,

Thanks for contributing to our forum. The Java expolit that made the news this weekend is on the browser level so, in order to install the recent updates that have been released by Oracle, you will need to install the latest patch for the version of Java you have installed.

If you are still being warned of a Java vulnerability when you attempted to upload images through Auctiva, I recommend updating to the latest version of Java by opening the Java Console on your computer, navigating to the "Update" tab and then clicking "Update Now".

Alternatively, you can install Java by from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and it should automatically overwrite the version of Java you had installed previously.

I hope this helps. If you need any further assistance with your account, please feel free to contact our Customer Support team by mousing over the “Help” tab and selecting the “File Support Case” option.

-Mike
How can we be sure the latest Java is safe? I disabled Java altogether rather than overwriting with updates. And I'm not sure according to articles on the www that even this latest patch is going to solve the security problems.
I think I'll just use the eBay listing tools since Auctiva can't insure safety with the latest update of Java.
Hi pattycyn,

I am under the impression that the Java vulnerabilities which arose recently were addressed with the release of Java 7 Update 11 so, as far as I know, you should be able to safely use Java at this point provided you have downloaded this latest update.

For example, I am currently running Java 7 Update 11 and I am not being presented with the warnings indicating it may be vulnerable which were being displayed within my Firefox and Chrome browsers when I was running previous versions.

However, if you have come across other information which makes you uncomfortable running Java for the time being and you are using a Windows system, you could always access Auctiva through the Internet Explorer browser instead of Firefox or Chrome.

The Auctiva Uploader does not require Java when used through the Internet Explorer browser, so you should be able to successfully upload images into your account through that browser while Java is disabled.

-Mike
Hi pattycyn,

You're very welcome. The version of Internet Explorer you are using is the latest version so the "jumpiness" you have noticed does not seem to be a product of using an outdated version of that browser.

I am uncertain what may be causing you to experience different behavior in this regard than when you were using the Firefox browser, but you may want to try clearing your browser cache and restoring your Advanced Settings to see if that makes a difference.

This can be done via the following process from within Internet Explorer 9.0:

1) Clear your cache: In order to clear your cache in your Internet Explorer web browser, please select "Internet Options" from the "Tools" menu (has an icon that looks like a gear and it in the upper right corner) within Internet Explorer.

Then, under the "General" tab, click the "Delete" button in the "Browsing History" section. On the ensuing pop up window, make sure "Temporary Internet Files" and "Cookies" are selected and click the "Delete" button below.

2) Restore your Advanced Settings: Select "Internet Options" from the "Tools" menu and click the "Advanced" tab. Then, click the "Restore Advanced Settings" button, followed by "Apply" then "OK"

After making these adjustments, close your Internet Explorer web browser and re-open it for the new settings to take effect.

If you continue to encounter the same behavior after trying these measures, please feel free to file a support request from under the “Help” tab within your account and we will be happy to continue working with you on this.

-Mike
trinkets and lookandbuyme--not everyone uses java. i have always felt that its old and arcane. it has a lot of users cuz it and oracle have been around a long time.

it always has issues and vulnerabilities and there are other ways to get photos. my other sites don't use java.

all that said, i can't be fooling with upgrades that are not as easy as click on this and tell it where to load.

so since i just did this (even though i knew this was just a band aid) i resent having to do it again.

so back to auctiva--why are we getting this message again?
Thanks for that info....question...if we use foxfire what are other choices? Or is that up to us? Or is it up to Auctiva so choose who we do this from? (again, my lack of techie knowledge coming out)

I do not want to go back to IE, as left that at recommendation of Auctiva to begin with...so going back not a great option.

Hopefully we will get some answers before weekend, so we can function using one browser.
Hi Community,

Thanks for pointing out this change. I just had a chance to review this situation and I am now also seeing a message indicating that Java Platform SE 7 U11 (the latest version) is known to be vulnerable within Firefox, so it appears that a vulnerability with this version has been discovered since it was released earlier this week.

The following page of the Mozilla website contains some additional information contains some additional detail regarding why this plug-in has been blocked:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p182

Although I am not seeing any similar warnings within the Chrome browser, for which the Auctiva Uploader also relies on Java, I personally feel that fact that Mozilla has flagged the latest version of Java as vulnerable is reason enough to be concerned.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Auctiva Uploader does not rely on Java when used through the Internet Explorer so, if you are using a Windows machine, you could potentially disable Java and continue using the Auctiva Uploader by switching to the Internet Explorer browser.

Another option is to use the Basic HTML Uploader instead of the default Auctiva Uploader, but that uploader requires selecting each image from your computer individually and may be cumbersome to use when working with a large number of images.

If you would like to configure your account to use the Basic HTML Uploader when you are uploading from the lister page, just mouse over the “My Account” tab, select the “Acct Preferences” option under “Settings”, check the box next to “Use HTML Uploader on One-Page Lister” and then click the “Update Account Preferences” button below.

I assume that Java will be working to come out with a new update to address any vulnerabilities that remain and hopefully it will be made available soon.

-Mike
Question...are all auctiva users using foxfire seeing this warning when loading pictures? Or just some?

Seems if this were totally Java issue that ALL users would be having issue. Seem more would be asking on forums about it or am I missng something here ?

IF you are NOT having issue, please post as I am quite confused why some are and others may not be....but as previouly stated I am far from a a techie person.

Just a thought??
Last edited by lookandbuyme
I'm having same annoying problem with Java vulnerability warning when I try to upload pic in Auctiva. I'm using Firefox. I searched info in Firefox & decided to completely disable JAVA add on. There's a link to a warning from Homeland Security regarding JAVA's security holes. Scary stuff. I guess I will try using IE although I don't want to use it. When will this problem get fixed & how will we know it's safe to use Auctiva in Firefox again. This is a pain.
So, I just opened Auctiva in IE to work on more listings & when I tried to upload pictures it says:
The ActiveX uploader control has not been installed:
Please click on this link to install or update the ActiveX uploader from the image uploader page.
Is this legit? Do you use ActiveX to upload in IE?
I don't know what to trust. I'm not a computer person. Ugh.
Thanks all...I am using 18.0...which was updated on Jauary 18th, I guess I updated because of the issue I was having....hoping to fix it...as normally I update NOTHING until I start having problems...and big ones at that. My feeling is usually if it ain't broke don't fix it! (do know it is supposed to be isn't) Just my Southern showing through!

Tonight I find this, which leads me to believe this could be from update...but can't figure out since I was already having issue before 18th when it shows I updated.

HOWEVER, can someone tell me..as I am tech idiot...how can I uninstall this update??? And back the train up to older version to see if that helps.

Can system restore back to previous time do this????

NOTE, I had problems before 18th...so not sure this is the magic fix either.

Here is link too...as if someone asks I would NEVER be able to find it again. At bottom indiciates blocked on October 2012??? Soooo confused. FYI...I put in red so that part would stand out...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p182

quote:
Java Plugin 7 update 11 and lower (click-to-play), Windows has been blocked for your protection.

Why was it blocked?
The Java plugin is causing significant security problems. All users are strongly recommended to keep the plugin disabled unless necessary.

Who is affected?

All users who have these versions of the plugin installed in Firefox 17 and above.

What does this mean?
The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable

When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article.
Blocked on October 30, 2012. View block request.

Thanks for all those who let us know they were or were no having issues...and what version the use....appreciate it!!
I only scanned that page but it basically says....if I remember what I read correctly....that the block PREVENTS/BLOCKS the upload from happening at all.

But from what I think you said in an earlier post...your error message was different than what you get when doing the Java upload when it gets blocked.
And you only get that other message when using the Auctiva picture uploader.

If I am remembering incorrectly, I apologize
I don't think I put in details...itsjustme did and problem was same as her description.

I did start loading photos on Internet Explorer.

Auctiva...I did upload pictures other day which uploaded faster than foxfire.

BUT....with that being said, it came back FAST, VERY fast WHY I quit Internet Explorer last round. Changng pages is
S L O W....very S...L....O....W at times and that is problem. Some pages have not loaded at all i.e went from community to all sales, then tried to purchase insurance. the load insurance for the item I chose did not load at all. I gave up on it.

Yes, I cleared, closed, and restarted...so that is not problem. This is ONLY site I have issue on also and always has been. I did speed test for internet carrier that was not issue either.

If we are going to have to use Explorer, the something has to be done to resolve speed of changing page issue.

Please let us know how to go around this speed issue??? As working changing browsers has become quite a challenge to my memory.
Hi lookandbuyme,

I am not aware of any technical issues on our side that would explain why it takes you so much longer to move between pages within Auctiva when using Internet Explorer as when using Firefox. Although I cannot be certain what may be causing that behavior, I suspect you may have some add-ons or settings in use that are conflicting with our software.

Assuming you have already cleared your cache and restored your Advanced Settings as I suggested to pattycyn toward the beginning of this thread, you may want to try using the Reset option within your Internet Explorer via the following process to see if that helps:

1) Select “Internet options” from the “Settings” (gear icon) menu
2) Click the “Advanced” tab
3) Click the “Reset” button
4) Click the next “Reset” button when prompted
5) Close and reopen your Internet Explorer browser

If you are prompted to re-enable any browser add-ons after doing so, I recommend declining to enable the ones that are not necessary for Auctiva in case one of those is contributing to the slowness you have been experiencing.

The only add-ons that are necessary when using Auctiva through Internet Explorer are the Auctiva Image Uploader Control and the Shockwave Flash Object, which are used for the Auctiva Uploader and scrolling gallery respectively.

If you would prefer not to use the Reset option because you have data or settings enabled within Internet Explorer that you do not wish to reset, you could also go into the “Manage Add-ons” section within the browser and manually disable any add-ons which are not used by Auctiva to see if that leads to any improvement.

If you need any further assistance with this, please contact our Customer Support team by mousing over the “Help” tab within your account and selecting the “File Support Case” option and we will be happy to continue troubleshooting with you.

-Mike
I am using Firefox 18.0.1

I have tried everything listed in this thread, including re-installing the most recent Java download, and also I have tried un-installing all Java downloads and then re-installing the most recent Java download. Still everytime I click on:

Images (tab) >> Upload >> Auctiva Uploader (automatically uploads several pics all at the same time) -- does NOT work no matter what I do.

I keep getting this same screen:

Not sure if that link works, or try this one:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...intauctivamessa.jpg/

Any tips would be helpful.

I can use the "Basic HTML Auctiva Uploader"

Images (tab) >> Upload >> Basic HTML Uploader (you have to browse to each picture individually, then it uploads them all... takes a a lot more time...).

Any tips on the Java thing yet?
Hi Jam Handy (& adriana),

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are encountering. The “Install Plugin” link in the message you referred to *should* install the Java plugin that is required to use the Auctiva Uploader through Firefox or Chrome and I am not certain exactly why you have been unable to install it successfully.

However, as has been discussed over the course of this thread, several recent updates of Java (including the latest one) have been flagged for containing vulnerabilities and it seems likely that this issue is related to the handling of one of these Java warnings.

For the time being, you could potentially continue using the Auctiva Uploader without enabling Java by switching over to the Internet Explorer browser.

I don't feel I have enough information about each of your situations to make any specific recommendations, but please feel free to contact our Customer Support team by mousing over the “Help” tab and selecting the “File Support Case” option if you need any further assistance.

-Mike
perhaps the new firsfox fix will hlep some

Mozilla has released a new version 18.0.2 of its popular web browser Firefox which comes with following fixes and new features:

Fixed: JavaScript related stability issues
Disabled HIDPI support on external monitors to avoid rendering glitches
Faster JavaScript performance via IonMonkey compiler
Support for Retina Display on OS X 10.7 and up
Preliminary support for WebRTC
Experience better image quality with our new HTML scaling algorithm
Performance improvements around tab switching
Support for new DOM property window.devicePixelRatio
Improvement in startup time through smart handling of signed extension certificates
Support for W3C touch events implemented, taking the place of MozTouch events
Disabled insecure content loading on HTTPS pages
Improved responsiveness for users on proxies

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.