Skip to main content

There is no excuse for taking this number of hours to inform the customers that your site is down...as well as keeping us in the dark as to the nature of the problem. I ran a help desk for years and I would never consider keeping my users in the dark. Given the number of auctions that this outage will affect, I fully expect Auctiva, at minimum, to refund the entire month's charges to each affected client. What do the rest of you think?
John Tischler President Vintage Shaving Shoppe, LLC.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by vintageshavingshoppe:
There is no excuse for taking this number of hours to inform the customers that your site is down...as well as keeping us in the dark as to the nature of the problem. I ran a help desk for years and I would never consider keeping my users in the dark. Given the number of auctions that this outage will affect, I fully expect Auctiva, at minimum, to refund the entire month's charges to each affected client. What do the rest of you think?

The weekends are my busiest times.... I have no idea who has purchased 'what' and people are turning up to buy items in person and I could well be in trouble when Auctiva goes back on-line and I discover that some purchases may now be out of stock.... An hour or two off-line is acceptable, but this has been over 13 hours minimum and I am panicking now... I really could be losing a lot of customers, as no one can get into my website and there are plenty of competitors. The worse thing is, there seems to be no one telling us anything which I would have thought would be a priority from the boys and girls at Auctiva... Looks like I will have lost a lot of business for this last weekend of the month now..... I am worried that this is a big problem and may go on much longer.

Jason
I'm not reassured in any respect.

What I am is concerned. Concerned that even when they do get the site up and running again, how can I trust that my listings will be posted when scheduled? The whole point of being able to schedule listings is so I don't need to be hovering over my computer making sure it happens.

Not feeling confident about Auctiva.
AUCTIVA???? COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS!! PLEASE!!!

Perhaps now that site is up: Something when you log in letting people know there was a problem to check their scheduled listings.. OR a notification in notifications box. Otherwise people may not realize they did not post. (I do not schedule) but others do???? Plus people need to know listing they were working on yesterday may not have not have saved (mine did not)

Thanks
We may be able to get into Auctiva but nothing is posting and no closed listings on ebay are reflected on Auctiva.

If it is a hardware failure folks we could be down through Monday.

Auctiva needs to give us a reasonable outlook so we can go directly into ebay and start relisting.

AUCTIVA--please give us a reasonable estimated time of repair.
Maybe they all went to church to pray this would just fix itself and that we would all "just go away"!!

How must these forums look to people who may be interested in auctiva??? I always try to get a feel from forums before making decisions on a lot of things.

Update would be quite appropriate that YES, we are still here! (if they are).

The longer this goes on without communication the more frustrating it becomes. The issue is one thing, the TOTAL LACK OF COMMUNICATION is another!!

Auctiva YOUR LOYAL, PAYING customers are asking for an update, not a miracle!!!
All,

We understand people got frustrated this weekend over the outage. However, I do want to caution some forum users in this thread about Forum Policy #8 which says:

"Please keep the discourse in our forums civil, and avoid making rude, derogatory, or insulting comments to/or about other users, or to/or about Auctiva staff."

There are a few posts in this thread and few in the other thread on this subject that come very close to violating this policy, if not indeed going over the edge. We don't want to censor posts or ban users from the forums, but we can and will do so in instances where users who do not follow our policies be followed.

So, speak your mind, but please...keep it business-like don't get into disparaging or sarcastic comments about Auctiva employees as a group or as individuals, their job titles, etc, and do not post links to Auctiva employees' personal web pages, Facebook pages, etc.

Thank you.
If you see this post, it details what happened and expresses our regrets. However, this outage was not the result of a 'blunder' on our part; there was a severe unplanned hardware failure which we had no control over, and which we responded to with alacrity using all the resource we have or could engage. The resolution was effected as quickly as it was possible for us to do.

We agree that we could have communicated better than we did in this instance, and will work to make that better in the future.

Regarding forum policy, I stand by what I said.

While we sincerely regret and apologize for any inconvenience this problem caused our customers, none of our employees was at fault here. In fact they worked very long weekend hours under great pressure in order to resolve the problem.

We very much understand and appreciate that people were frustrated with the situation and need to express that, and we want people to feel to post on our forums even if they are not happy with us. That said, users of our forums are obligated to comply with our policies.
Obviously Auctiva post was directed at me (except for the links facebook, personal webpages,etc., I would have no way of knowing that information about any employee, nor honestly would I want to know that. . called TMI). I do not have auctiva on my friends page because I reserve that for my personal friends/family and I do not mix business with pleasure. I do not think we should have to EVER use facebook or twitter as a means of getting any information about auctiva issues. Not everyone wants/has a facebook/twitter account. I frankly have not seen posts to employees pages, websites, etc., on forums. I do find it hard to believe that in light of ALL of the PROBLEMS this week-end that actually posts are being patrolled. I think I would be reading them to find out WHAT AUCTIVA CAN DO DIFFERNT next time. But if it is offensive to anyone, please feel free to remove it.

To be honest I thought corporate America was/is a little more thick skinned out there. If someone had written that about something I said, I would have said something about my crazy brain again, learned from it and kept on trucking. I also find it hard to believe Auctiva read each post and singled several out out of the MANY, MANY posts they received. Is this note all that was taken away from the forums that day? If so that is pretty pathetic (in my opinion).

I find it hard to believe that you think we would not be livid.

I feel this is just another method of diverting questions. WHY was there a lack of communication? What is going to be done in the future regarding communication? So that this does not happen again. YES, there will be other site crashes outages or whatever, but we need to know what to expect when it happens again.

I could go on and on, but for some reason I think auctiva personnel just do not get it, that 95% of the issue here was NO communication for hours. We had no crystal ball to KNOW if you already knew about this or not. The forums were up and running so seems a post could have been put on there via phone, wireless internet something. (at some point was put on so guess same method could have been used earlier??) Was the thought that we may not notice there was a problem?

Sorry to be rambling, but believe me I would like to say LOTS more but would not want to hurt anyone's feelings. Just would like to know answers to communication issues, future plans as far as the outage being dealt with in hopes this particular things does not happen again, would also like to know if this was same as other outages such as one in 2009 and /or others in the past.

Auctiva is there a plan to notify us of future outages? What is that plan? Or if working on will we be kept posted? Obviously the forums were up and running but that fell through.

I do not think I have overlooked posts on plans to prevent future outages as well as future communication but If I have please someone let me know.

To this day, there is still a lack of communication! Or is it if we don't tell them they will not know? I have friends who list who had failed listings that have not been notified there was a problem??? I have one friend who planned her vacation so her return would be day after her listings ended. . well. . they were not listed so she could have extended that. Everyone who lists should have received a mass mailing so they are not shocked when their listings do not end when they expect. Oh, wait they will find that their listings never even posted and wonder why??? Remember not every member visits the forums to get announcements.

Auctiva, we have your apologies, we just need to know that something is being done in these areas to "fix" things so we do not go into the total panic mode again. (these forums lit up like a Christmas Tree within minutes of this happening). For all we knew all of our data went also. Is there a back up plan for our data??? Hate to sound ignorant, but I am not a techie person.

Vintageshavingshoppe, thanks for your comments too. You are right, MORE advertisements selling things.

Vickie
Last edited by lookandbuyme
I am sorry too that any or or two posters were singled out by Auctiva. It reminds me of an instance long ago when we had purchased a graphics printer for $50,000. It was not working properly and the user calling support was VERY frustrated by a particularly ill-informed tech. She used some profanity and the tech hung up on her. I heard about this case and called the account manager, who told me that their representatives "are not to be spoken to that way." I calmly informed him that the next time a tech EVER hung up on one of my users, I would put his X#$&^ printer on a fork lift and drop it from the ^X%##$ing 40th floor roof. That seemed to clarity things for him and support was much more responsive in the future. As a company, you generally get from your clients what you deserve.

Auctiva, the comments you received were what you deserved. The ultimate loss of some clients will be what you deserve and, if you continue to blame your clients instead of focusing on what YOU did wrong in terms of communication and support, you will lose your position in the marketplace. This is a business for us. Please stop behaving like a wounded child. Suck it up. Learn the lessons of this affair. If you do these things, you and you clients will have a bright future.
Hi Auctiva anyone

please seriously consider the below. Recently I was told what features Auctiva has for making bulk changes. It was even mentioned that the these features could ease the pain of the latest eBay mandate of no email addresses. This education was as a result of my talking about the limitations of the Closed Folder's tools or lack there of. I was told that the bulk of the email addresses had been found in the Seller Details and Profiles. Well sadly all of the tools do not assist when you are talking about items in the Closed Folder. Please its time to liberate the Closed Folder

if you could allow the Closed Folder to update the various Profiles, as currently can be done with the Saved Folder, and also allow bulk updating of the Sellers Detail information. You would have some happy customers. Heck I'd pay an extra dollar a month if this change were instituted the way I suggest. Having to individually change each listing is tedious at best. Especially when the foundation for the suggestion already exists and is waiting to be gleaned

if those 2 things were done the eBay folk would be a lot happier because most mandated eBay changes seem to come in the above areas

if you're in a real happy mood you could throw in a radio-button/check-box to allow folks to always use the most current Sellers Details and Profiles for ReList; Bulk ReList; Edit and ReList, etc. from the Closed Folder.

Heck if you can add the option to always use the most current Seller Details and Profiles the first 2 suggestions aren't even needed

Does this suggestion live or die Auctiva it is your decision. Heck there's even a suggestion on a new source of income the "so good it's worth extra money" bucket. I was serious I would pay more per month for services that made my life easier (I.e. faster to accomplish tasks).

sincerely yours
Most of us have no problem paying a little more to see new time saving features added. As most realize time is $$$$$.

I do find the forums interest level is sure not near what it use to be.

I honestly am finding the forums very inactive, summer, gone, still no pick up. I think people are discouraged because we write and auctiva rarely responds at least to ebay concerns.

Yes, I am sure forums are for members, but auctiva has been active before and now mums the word (at least that is my observation from the ebay side).

I also notice that people are not willing to help others as much. I find even myself I rarely send detail answers to others as I use to in the past. I, like others am losing interest in the forums as I no longer find them helpful. Do I know everything, you ask. . HECK NO!! I just find very little activity for some reason on here. We get no carrots from auctiva lately, I guess no carrot of what is to come in the future. When people have something to look forward to there is an excitement that is no longer here.

Just my thought which I will once again say is worth about 2 cents.

Ed, hope you get some answers, I find most of your postings right on target!! Some I may not use, but do feel that they would benefit the community as a whole so am for them. Anything that benefits the most people I am for!
Auctiva here you have at least 2 folks saying we'd pay a little more for better tools.

I find it hard to comprehend hearing nothing from you as I posted this on at least 5 threads in 3 or 4 forums

So when is the announcement that Auctiva is being rolled in with Vendio? That's about all I can attribute the deafening silence we've have "heard" on a myriad of legitimate topics
Frankly, at this point I am not sure I would want to go with Vendio and have thought that was coming for awhile, as I am very concerned about stability of auctiva and since they are owned by same people would be nervous investing my time in another same owned organization. I am beginning to wonder if both are going away. There just simply does not seem to be interest there once was by auctiva personnel (and I would guess they feel beat up too especially if their hands are tied by the people who write their checks).

Their lack of interest in the forums has sure influenced my lack of interest in helping keep the forums alive. It is hard to get people willing to help back on once they lose that loving feeling.

Auctiva seems to be going the same way our economy is.. to Heck in a handbasket.

This is like talking to the WALL!!

Apparently, if you do not have a commerce store you just as well pack up and go home because you sure will not get answers. Not that I think the are getting a huge amount other than fixes for constant problems.

Just my thoughts. . I hate it because this was such an exciting place to list and be just a year or two back.

Too bad! Auctiva personnel this is just my thoughts and is not specifically at one person, it is just venting with what has happened. Very sad!
I knew from the day they began to bill us for the service that there was a good chance we could expect the same problems as before.
Anyone remember how the President(Auctiva) handled the outrage when billing was announced.
He had no clue how to repond and when he did he made it even worse. I knew from that day if the person in charge was not prepared then we might find some unstable service. and here we are.....
Fact is we made the discussion to stay so I try not to complain to much. I know what I am getting myself into
However after my last stint with trying to get the shipping calculator fixed and being told to either list and fix on ebay or just flat list on ebay even though I pay auctiva for this service. What company tells paying customers?
I would not pay anymore unless all the problems were corrected now and the system stayed stable at least 6 months.
This is all out of proportion.

Auctiva crashed a Saturday evening PST, and was up and running again on Sunday. All computer service providers can experience a crash outage, and need to decide what to do if it happens. If we were talking for example about a bank, I would expect (and would be willing to pay for) an almost instant response. But Auctiva is an eBay listing tool, and I don't see the relevance in keeping staff ready on weekend evenings to provide a fast response for the unlikely event that the system should crash. And I'm certainly not willing to pay for this service - if Auctiva is not up and running on a Saturday evening PST, OK, that's life, I'll find something else to do, and come back on Sunday.

I thought Auctiva was out with information on the forum in a timely fashion - it was after all a Saturday evening. I took note, and as described above found something else to do.

And I know that the customer is always right, but when a customer in a moment of stress attacks an Auctiva employee in the way that happened, I must admit I rather respect Auctiva Tony for his reaction. And I don't think that it is any of my business knowing what went wrong that Saturday night, perhaps it was Auctiva's fault, perhaps it was some other company's fault - the guilty party is upset enough without having the mistake spread all over a public forum.

I have always thought and still think that Auctiva is an excellent product, well worth my monthly fee. And I have never experienced other than fantastic support from them, both on the forum and via direct contact. I submitted a problem at midnight last night PST, and unbelievably it was solved by them immediately, which I found rather impressive.

Patrick
Pat apparently you and i don't work in the same environment and have distinctly different work cultures.

Some of us have strong data backgrounds, others have strong sales backgrounds but regardless we all expect to be treated fairly. Fairly means quick and honest disclosure of issues and in the end a plan in the event that a disaster does occur.

For many of us it was not about finding somebody else to play with while the sandbox was busy, it was about losing hours of work as well as rework costs. For others the glitch led to other glitches with an even greater real dollar impact.

Most businesses do have performance penalties that are contractual and others do it on a good faith basis. My cable services and cell services always give a credit albeit small for service issues.

Don't tell us that our views are out of proportion.
Patrick, Let's face it. IF you were not listing at the time, you would NOT care. I had friends who still would NOT know their listings failed if I had not told them. Why would they not know you ask? They do not forum for obvious reasons. They did not get notification via email that their items did not post AND they did not log in and find an announcement.

Most of this for me at this point is about COMMUNICATION! (or lack of) and Lack of a back up plan if/when this happens again and it will (hopefully not during holidays) As at some point everyone has issues.

As far as customer being right? That went away about 20 years ago. I am sure it is not popular for us to tell it like it is. I do not think anyone had a "moment of stress". It was MANY HOURS of NOT knowing where our listing were, if auctiva closed up shop with most of our information locked in the doors.

quote:
And I know that the customer is always right, but when a customer in a moment of stress attacks an Auctiva employee in the way that happened . . . . .

Patrick what happened during the "attack" you mentioned above?

As far as I an concerned Auctiva personnel need to toughen up and get in the real world. I worked in construction industry in office for years (starting at the age of 16) and had all inappropriate comments made to me DAILY!! If my boss had come to my defense I would have crawled under a rock. I felt I was a TOUGH COOKIE and could take the heat. That is part of big-boy world. In my case big-girl world.

quote:
And I don't think that it is any of my business knowing what went wrong that Saturday night, perhaps it was Auctiva's fault, perhaps it was some other company's fault -

Patrick, I honestly do not care whose fault it is at this point, (it is similar to the war between ebay and auctiva each think issues are the others fault). However, I do have to fundamentally disagree about it being our business. Because it "IS" our business, our businesses depend on this and this just like the bank is a service we pay for, which does make it our business. When this service was free I could 100% buy the it's none of your business quite a bit more than once you pay. When a company accepts money for a service, then they owe their customers. When my power which is a service goes out, my power company usually calls with automated message about sorry the power is out, etc., It is called courtesy to their loyal customers. Strange part of my power company is they are the only game in town, so we have no choice but to use them. . but they still recognize us as loyal customers.

I just want to know that steps are being taken to COMMUNICATE with us (week-end or not that was inexcusable). I guarantee you that I answer my customers on weekends! If my internet is out, I will go to neighbors, or library. Communication is mandatory for me to have success in my store.

Now months later, we still have not been told where to go get information in event of another outage??? It to me is like a fire drill, we need to know where to meet to get information.

I do think is worth what I pay. HOWEVER, I also feel that ebay is the lost step-child and that the forums have withered on the vine lately. (not today, I notice there are numerous posts today) I would just be willing to pay a little more to get updates that ebay offers. A lot of those are ignored totally.

I do think some of the frustration is due to how many items you list. The more you list the larger the problem. Recreational sellers, then no big deal to wait until Monday or whenever. Most of us are active sellers with quite a few items and run businesses.

I notice you do not post your store, so hard to gauge if you are recreational or business.

But for business people this was a big deal and sorry if it had no impact on your business.
Last edited by lookandbuyme
Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.