Skip to main content

As most current eBay sellers know by now, eBay started its Feedback 2.0 Wednesday.

For many hours my buying & selling feedbacks had the listing titles and sold price showing. Before there was simply a link to this information or Private.

Also the new star rating charts were being shown or a statement that it would be when the seller had 10 star ratings.

My star ratings weren't showing yet, so I went to FindingKing which sells a ton of stuff. They had 461 star ratings; it was quite revealing because the feedbacks showed what the buyer paid for the item - in many cases the prices varied substantially for the same product!

I spent most of the night making my listings Private because I'd prefer not have so much info out there.

I contacted sellers I buy a lot from I would no longer be purchasing unless the listing was made private.

Then suddenly late Wednesday eBay went back to its old system of Feedback; there's been no announcement as to why or when Feedback 2.0 will back up.

I'm interested in how others find this new feedback system?

My own reactions vary from neutral to very negative. Primarily as a seller I would prefer not to have sales prices so out there.

Also, the star system is annonymous leaving sellers vulnerable to crackpots, competitors trying to lower a seller's ratings, and just plain ole mean crabs. If a seller only ships on certain days, s/he will be receiving lower ratings even tho s/he was upfront about it in the listing.

As a buyer, I will be very reluctant to let the world see what I buy and how much I pay for things. Example lets say I purchase a very expensive ring for myself. My home security is jeopardized as my shipping address will help someone locate where the ring is. A post office box keeps that secure, but many may not want one.

Also, some personal items are... well, personal.
(underwear comes to mind)

Of course, anyone could just click on the listing number to see this info but now within seconds they have a profile of me. My privacy is important. I don't want to be profiled.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't stand the new feedback system! Whose business is it to see how much people pay for each item & what we purchase as well. I will be listing items in private listings now I suppose so I don't lose buy it now purchases. Also the fact we cannot give star ratings to the buyers is VERY unfair since it can take a week for them to pay but only they get a say in the matter. Again Ebay screws the sellers!
quote:
Originally posted by dvchic:
I can't stand the new feedback system! Whose business is it to see how much people pay for each item & what we purchase as well.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't this information available before? It was a bit harder to find because you had to click on the transaction id and view the auction page, but it was there.
eBay's sole reason for existence of late is to annoy their sellers. It sure seems that way, doesn't it? I just looked my profile, and while I have no star ratings yet, the price and description of every item I've sold is showing. While this info was always available through a few clicks, now it's in your face, and it's really nobody's business.
So far I like it, but I havent gotten enough feedback to have detailed seller ratings, yet. As a seller, what I like is that if buyers look at my feedback they can easily see if they are buying the same item. I oftem sell multiples of the same item, so if a buyer looks and a feedback says "item as described" or "great item" they know if it is the same item they are considering. Also they can easily see that I have sold items in the same price range that they are looking at.

I think that the openness of the pricing helps make ebay a good marketplace. If I am trying to figure out what an item is worth, I need to know what people have paid for it in the past. Compare to craigslist for instance - you see an item listed on craigslist at a particular price and you have no idea if it sold or at what price.
The only thing this new feedback format will create is the constant and ever increasing need for sellers to sell their items even cheaper than the next guy.

I keep working around ebays changes, knowing they are on a steady self destruct course. I use a few auctions to point to my store sales. I use ebay store to farm my website sales, which by far outpace my ebay sales. I also buy antiques and collectibles on ebay and sell them in a minimall for 300 percent markup. Just a case in point how ebay is becoming cheap bay at our expense.

But I would still point out, that it does not pay to get negative about them. You just have to work around what they are doing to keep making some kind of profit from your business plan, using their expensive services.
quote:
I think eBay needs to hear the feedback from us sellers about the new feedback system. Maybe they'll make some changes if we give them suggestions with calm, reasonable comments about why we think those things need to be changed...

They heard it already. The new system has been in other markets for several months and sellers (and buyers) there made many complaints, suggestions, etc. You think ebay gives a damn about what anybody has to say? Nothing changed. Now, here it is on the main site, same as the international sites where it wasn't liked.
I would think that the lack of buying and selling privacy that this new system promotes will actually have an overall dampening effect on the ebay marketplace.

If sellers start using more private auctions, they will lose potential bidders who do not want to bid when they can't see who the other bidders are, due to the possibility of shill bidding.

Buyers, on the other hand, may be less likely to participate when they catch on the the fact that their every purchase is now out there for everyone to see so easily. Also, past price information on items has always been available by doing a completed auctions search.

Does anyone know ebay's stated rationale for making this obnoxious change? I'm sure they think that making the info on transactions more easily accessible somehow facilitates the buying/selling process, but it totally ignores the critical function of privacy in that process. Sorry, I fail to see any real benefit here to anyone, including ebay itself. Frown
If ebay gets rid of the neg, neutral, positive system then how will the BUYERS get rated? The 5 star system is currently just for sellers. Would they have different rating questions applicable to buyers? What a mess.

The old system has its problems but the 5 star thing has just as many in my opinion - with no net gain. Somebody at ebay needs to change out their thinking caps for more advanced models.
quote:
Originally posted by dvchic:
I can't stand the new feedback system! Whose business is it to see how much people pay for each item & what we purchase as well. I will be listing items in private listings now I suppose so I don't lose buy it now purchases. Also the fact we cannot give star ratings to the buyers is VERY unfair since it can take a week for them to pay but only they get a say in the matter. Again Ebay screws the sellers!

Totally agree with you on this one

What happened to the one where you could pull up negative feedback only too?
HA!
Under this ID I have free shipping and yet I still have received less stars for shipping and handling charge.

Makes one think...DUH...what were those buyers thinking when rating. I mean, seriously, I have it noted as free shipping and it is!

<shaking head>
It's like on Amazon a seller got one star because when the movie arrived..the buyer didn't like the move..said the plot wasn't good.

Doesn't make sense.
I my self think it is a good thing in some ways. for instance. I'm tired of buying thing that say shipping is priority mail and cost $10 Which i don't have a problem with. except when it arrives first class At a $1.11 shipping cost. But over all I had no other problem with the auction and I'M happy with my items. But it makes me think that the seller is trying to scam another dime out of me. So i think it's a great to let sellers know what you think of there over all business conduct. But i do disagree with the part about showing what was purchased. That I think is only yours and the buyer's business.
quote:
Originally posted by 1_caring_nurse:
I my self think it is a good thing in some ways. for instance. I'm tired of buying thing that say shipping is priority mail and cost $10 Which i don't have a problem with. except when it arrives first class At a $1.11 shipping cost. But over all I had no other problem with the auction and I'M happy with my items.

The old feedback system, flawed as it is, is still just fine for a situation like that. Positive, Negative or Neutral -- very simple. And you still had the option of leaving a positive with a neutral comment or whatever.
I, too, am very upset by the new feedback system of listing prices and names of listings. This invades the privacy of both buyers and sellers and hurts those of us who are beginning to use Markdown Manager. Ebay is promoting Markdown Manager, and yet at the same time, implementing a system which will hurt us for using it. Now, buyers will see a price for a similar item, one which you have been carrying in inventory for a long time and therefore mark down, and think, why is my item more? So they may not buy it, thinking they can wait for a sale.

Before, most people would not click on every single item to see the name and price. Now they can in just a few seconds go down the list and see it and compare, not understanding why one item is marked down and another is not. This really is damaging to sellers and to our ability to stay in business on Ebay.

I have sent an email through the Ebay site map under 'comments and suggestions.' Please everyone else do the same! We need to have our voice be heard that this is damaging to the entire system.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.