Skip to main content

Dear Community,

A new image uploader is coming soon! Google is phasing out support for Java applications in their Chrome browser in the coming months. Since our current Auctiva Uploader is powered by a Java-based application, we had to build a new image uploader that will work across all browsers.

Today we’re excited to give you a sneak-peek at the new image uploader we’ve been working on! The uploader will allow you to select larger batches* of images to upload, drag-and-drop from desktop functionality, and, most importantly, no more need to constantly update Java/ActiveX to use it! The only requirement is that you have an up-to-date version of any modern browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10+ or Safari.)

You will still be able to upload your images to folders, set them to auto-delete, choose their size and rotate or flip, plus we’ve added the ability to rename your images before uploading so you can find them easily on your Manage Images page.

We value your feedback, so please take a moment to check out the new uploader here (must be logged in to your Auctiva account first) and post your comments and concerns on this thread.

You will find that the new uploader looks very similar to the current Auctiva Uploader but operates slightly differently:

1. Click the Browse (in Firefox or IE) or Choose Files (in Chrome) button to get started when the new uploader appears.

2. Select the image(s) to upload:
To upload a single image, just double click to add it to the uploader;
To upload multiple images: Ctrl + click to select multiple images or Ctrl + A to select All images and press the Open button to add them to the uploader.

3. Once all of your selected images are moved to the Auctiva Uploader, the Upload button will be clickable, and when pressed, the upload process will begin.

4. Successfully uploaded images will be displayed at the bottom portion of the uploader.

5. You can choose more images to upload, or click the Done button to close the uploader.

Leave any comments or general feedback on this thread, as well as any issues you may experience when using the new uploader.

Thank you!

Rebecca

* The amount of images you will be able to upload in each batch will depend on several factors, including your image sizes, internet connection speed and your own system performance.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Oddly enough right after I tried the new uploader last night my whole computer froze up ??

Anyway, at first I thought I LOVE THIS...no security warnings, no constant Java updates (I must be at one million Java updates so far, lol). BUT...let me see if I can explain this... when my photo file came up it didn't come up 'inside' the uploader to be dragged or dropped. It came up as a whole page ON TOP of the uploader page with the only option being to click, then OPEN one at a time.

Did I miss a step?? I am afraid to try it again to be honest because it was too much of a coincidence freezing my computer like that. It took me hours to get it back to normal.

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions Smile
Hi member_8880,

Thank you for giving this a test run! Yes, no security warnings/updates needed will be a HUGE improvement!

Can you let us know what version of Windows or other OS you are using, and with what browser? That'll help us pinpoint any wonkiness you may be seeing.

With this uploader the images are uploaded through your browser (not our internal tool), that is why when you click the browse or upload files button a separate window will open with your files from your computer, and not within our upload window (like the current uploader does.) You should be able to minimize the window that opens if it's taking too much space and crowding your view.

You can only drag and drop images from your desktop into the upload area (don't click "browse" or "choose files" button if you plan to upload that way).

The browser may crash if you try to upload a crazy large batch of images at the same time, but that all depends on the size of the images, and your internet speed, etc. There should be no other reason for it freezing up though. Could you try it again (when you can afford to take a break from listing) and just try to upload a few images?

Thanks so much for your feedback!
Good morning. I just uploaded photos using the new image uploader. It's similar to the Dropbox 'drag & drop' interface, making it familiar and easy to use. The only unusual aspect is when I dragged the photos over, I assumed they were automatically downloaded into the selected folder. But they weren't and required another 'download' step. To me, that's unnecessary and defeats the purpose of new and improved. Other than that, keep the improvements coming. Auctiva's interface is very clunky and could use some fresh time-saving upgrades.
I have waited so long to be able to upload pictures without having to keep updating JAVA. What you have developed is a real blessing. After failing to upload pictures for the last couple of weeks, I even considered dropping Auctiva. I have been with you for years, with no problems except the occasional JAVA update, so I delayed making any move away from you. This update comes at the perfect time. You have retained my business (maybe that's good for you? I know you are good for me). Simple to use, fast, accurate. Thank you a million times.
This is great!! Just did a drag & drop of 18 images into a test image folder on Auctiva. Worked like a charm. I have been using the "basic html uploader" because I don't want to risk the Java security vulnerability and Java was needed with Firefox. (Yeah, I'm a little paranoid). This Auctiva innovation makes uploads much easier for me. Thanks!!!
I tried it out and it was really easy. I didn't use the uploader on Firefox before because it would usually crash, so I could only use Chrome.
The new uploader worked on Firefox and no crashing.
Now, if you could add a feature on the listing page to rearrange the order of pics (when using enable optional images). I hate when I have to delete the pics to change the order.
Thanks for the new uploader.
I loaded the current version of chtome and all worked fine it must be version 29 of firefox

ed

Hi

I am having problems trying to select more than one picture at a

whether I drag and drop multiple images or use browse and select multiple images one loads and the others sit and the message says Loading Images

I am using XP and Firefox 28
Last edited by edneff
Rebecca, I originally clicked the orange flag on top to get email notifications, thinking it would just be answers to my question, but I'm getting everybody else's posts. When I click on the orange flag to turn off email notifications, it's just a dead link. The gray update button doesn't work. I click "Off" and "Update My Notification" but it won't take it. Please pass this on to your tech dept. I tried using another browser too (Chrome and Firefox)--same problem..
quote:
Originally posted by QueenofHearts:
Wow do I feel dumb. I'm not finding the "Choose File" in Chrome. Where is it? I've clicked on everything. This is all very confusing to me. Any way to create a tutorial video for us? That would be soo helpful!

Hi QueenofHearts,

Thanks for checking this out! After you have logged in to your Auctiva account and navigate to the new uploader via the link I provided, you should see the Choose File button at the top of the uploader window.

Let me know if you are not seeing the Choose File button in the Chrome browser, along with any other details that may help up investigate (like browser and Windows versions you are using.) Thanks!

PS We will be adding all the necessary tool tips, FAQs and tutorials when we release the new uploader Smile
Wow I finally got it. (I'm a slow learner, lol.)
Very fast in Firefox. I still do have one problem tho...I can easily use ctrl + click for multiples but drag & drop is out for me. My photo file comes up full screen with no way to minimize. (No where to drag them to) There is only the red X in the upper corner, no minimize or maximize buttons. Can't drag the screen edges in either. Any ideas how to overcome this? I guess I can get used to ctrl and click but I'd like the option to do both of possible. But overall, this is great, very fast & easy.

BUT I tried it in Chrome and it crashed??? Go figure...

EDIT...When I click photos on my desktop, the file comes up with minimize, maximize, and X buttons. But bringing it up via the uploader only gives me the X. Any ideas?
Last edited by member8880
one question will we have access to the "old" Java based up-loader going forward? when the last change happened, to the up-loader, we had access to the previous loader. I hope this time we also do. I ask because I do now want to update Firefox but to use the new loader I either have to do that or change to Chrome

thanks
quote:
Originally posted by goonertrains:
All sounds good but where is the link for Sneak Preview ? I am still getting all the links for the old version or am I missing something

The link is in the first post "We value your feedback, so please take a moment to check out the new uploader here here (must be logged in to your Auctiva account first) and post your comments and concerns on this thread." took me a while to find it not very clear
Where or how do we try the new image uploader?
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Rebecca:
Dear Community,

A new image uploader is coming soon! Google is phasing out support for Java applications in their Chrome browser in the coming months. Since our current Auctiva Uploader is powered by a Java-based application, we had to build a new image uploader that will work across all browsers.

Today we’re excited to give you a sneak-peek at the new image uploader we’ve been working on! The uploader will allow you to select larger batches* of images to upload, drag-and-drop from desktop functionality, and, most importantly, no more need to constantly update Java/ActiveX to use it! The only requirement is that you have an up-to-date version of any modern browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10+ or Safari.)

You will still be able to upload your images to folders, set them to auto-delete, choose their size and rotate or flip, plus we’ve added the ability to rename your images before uploading so you can find them easily on your Manage Images page.

We value your feedback, so please take a moment to check out the new uploader here (must be logged in to your Auctiva account first) and post your comments and concerns on this thread.

You will find that the new uploader looks very similar to the current Auctiva Uploader but operates slightly differently:

1. Click the Browse (in Firefox or IE) or Choose Files (in Chrome) button to get started when the new uploader appears.

2. Select the image(s) to upload:
To upload a single image, just double click to add it to the uploader;
To upload multiple images: Ctrl + click to select multiple images or Ctrl + A to select All images and press the Open button to add them to the uploader.

3. Once all of your selected images are moved to the Auctiva Uploader, the Upload button will be clickable, and when pressed, the upload process will begin.

4. Successfully uploaded images will be displayed at the bottom portion of the uploader.

5. You can choose more images to upload, or click the Done button to close the uploader.

Leave any comments or general feedback on this thread, as well as any issues you may experience when using the new uploader.

Thank you!

Rebecca

* The amount of images you will be able to upload in each batch will depend on several factors, including your image sizes, internet connection speed and your own system performance.
Well I have tried this out several times now and I REALLY LIKE IT.Smile
It takes a little longer to actually upload but considering I don't have to constantly go through all the Java nonsense it's a good trade off, the speed probably evens out.
Literally no comparison between the new and current uploaders... the current uploader had (has) me tearing my hair out on a regular basis...so far I don't see that happening with the new uploader.
Thank you all for your input!

We're still investigating a few reports about issues with some browsers, but for the most part this uploader will be a HUGE improvement! The positive remarks we have received far outweigh the negative (though we welcome ALL comments, good or bad!) It all helps.

I think we're about ready to roll this out (possibly next week!) but we will keep the current uploader available (at least for awhile) for the users that, for one reason or another, cannot use the new uploader or do not want to try a different browser.

We have investigated the issues with the uploader not working in Chrome, and after running some tests it appears that those errors/crashing may be caused by a lack of memory in the user's browser. Since this uploader works directly with your browser (and not a separate extension that we have control over, as the current Aurigma uploader) it's functionality depends more on factors that are out of our hands (internet connection speed, computer configuration/speed and browser version). Rest assured, we will do our best get this uploader to work for as many people as possible.

Thanks again for your great feedback!

Rebecca
thank you Rebecca. will you be posting the link for the previous up-loader in this thread

Hi Ed,

Yes, I will post that here in the forums (in a new thread when the uploader is released.) We aren't going to release the uploader this week since we decided to include a "backup" uploader for users who did experience issues. Look for it next week if nothing major comes up!

Thanks!
Last edited by auctivarebecca
Hal a loo yah!

I gave it a shot. It worked flawlessly. I have long grumbled about A) the constant 'updates' needed, and B) only being able to upload about forty photo's at a time.

I uploaded 235 photo's in one shot to a folder. No hiccups. It took a little longer than I thought but I can live with that. I often load this amount or more into one file folder and over time this has really become a PITA!

This was so much better.

Now, if the PTB's can get to my suggestion of a year or so ago: When creating listings and I add a photo, it would be great if the folder would open and start at the last photo that I uploaded from that file (rather than opening and starting from the very first pic). I do a lot of auctions, so when creating a hundred or more with three or four photo's per auction listing, it is time consuming and silly that I have to scroll to find the next pictures in line, every stinking time. Buy hey, progress moves in small steps sometimes.

Thanks for the current beta. Swell!

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.