Skip to main content

I guess I am going to see how OPEN and TOLERANT Auctiva's Management is to open criticism....

I just got an email notifying me of the malware problems Auctiva.com website is having even though they were apparently aware of this problem since last Thursday.....I am a little upset that it took them 6 days to email us to notify us of this problem...I seen the alerts last Thursday and in the ALERTS there was no mention of a MALWARE problem just a little blurb about having to take some servers down (How many times have we seen that alert) and that the site was running a little bit slow..I think that waiting for 6 days to notify us of MALWARE is quite irresponsible of them and I am not to happy about this...This just caused me 2 hours of unecessary work but THANK YOU NORTON FOR SAVING THE DAY FOR ME!!!...As it is I had to delete all form data all password data and now having to put that info back in is a big pain in the U KNOW WHAT!!!!

So I ask this of Auctiva's Mgmt.....What do you got to say for yourself????...What precautions are you going to take in the future for your LOYAL users???

Am I alone in this thought????....I guess I will find out!!!

PS I still LOVE the Auctiva website and the tools that they provide for ebay sellers just really think this was handled wrong. Smile Confused

Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ditto the Great Doctor!!! The thought that your customers needed to wait close to a week to find out their computers may of been comprimised. I also spent two hours late last night making sure my system was safe. Not to mention the time it'll take me to rebuild some of what I lost.

To think< on the day I get my invite and spent several hours setting up my e-commerce store at auctiva! Gee!!!! Mad In closing, I hope you'll practice SAFE e-commerce in the future. I take being put at risk very serously!!!!!

Deeply Disappointed,

Chinook
I notified Auctiva on Friday that I had been getting virus warnings since the day before. I received a reply that there was NO malware on their site and that there must be something wrong with my AV software that was mistakenly recognizing something as a virus that wasn't. After wasting my time with my AV software and after continuing to use Auctiva NOW they decide to tell us there WAS a virus and we should clean our files? I hope their girlfriends get a virus and tell them about it after a long weekend!
I had also notified them that my Kaspersky was picking up Trojans from their website but I never received a response. One Trojan managed to get though (out of MANY) and I had to stay up until 2:30 am making sure my new laptop (12-26-08!) was cleaned & safe. I lost my last computer because of viruses. I would have ben VERY PO if I lost this one or even had to pay the geeks to fix it.
Comment :

Previous Comment:Friday, 2/20/2009 8:59 AM
When I went to auctiva.com yesterday and today my anti-virus software warns me of a trojan horse virus.

Operating System: Windows XP
Other Browser:

New Comment:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this matter – I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. The Auctiva website does not contain any malicious software so, since you are receiving this warning on our site, there must be some aspect of our software that your antivirus program is misinterpreting as being potentially malicious.

I suspect you will be able to prevent this warning from coming up by adding “Auctiva.com” to the “excepted” list in your antivirus program configuration. I will also forward your case to our developers to let them know you received this warning.

If you have any additional questions or concerns pertaining to your Auctiva account, please feel free to let me know, and I’ll be happy to continue assisting you.

Sincerely,
Auctiva Support
Has anyone had a domain compromised because of this "malware"? I love auctiva but think it is very poor handling of this matter, IE waiting 6 days to send out a notification. I have very up date AV and my computer has picked up nothing, but I have had a domain that was hacked and it's one that is basically set up and forget "but" the one that is ebay related and listed in eBay auctions.
I've been doing virus scan everyday since I noticed odd page displays while listing on Auctiva the past week. The scan did picked up a trojan yesterday. I have no clue if it is related to Auctiva, but I would suggest everyone run their virus scans to be safe.I very rarely see a trojan.
I am delighted Auctiva is up and running! Thanks guys, I can't imagine what you have been going through! (((HUGS)))
I am wondering where everybody is getting this SIX days from. Auctiva and others have been talking about this since the 20th as posted below:

Auctiva Mike D.
Auctiva Support
Elite
Posted February 20, 2009 11:19 AM Hide Post
Hi Community,

Thanks for helping to bring this issue to our attention. We are receiving reports of this nature from several customers and our engineering team is currently looking into why these warnings have started coming up. I'm not sure what is causing this at the moment, but I'll post again to this thread as soon as additional information becomes available.

-Mike

So, where is the amount of days coming from. I even got a phone call from Auctiva after placing a call to them and they called and said they were working on that AND it has been a topic of conversation since then. Anyone who does not use any type of virus or security system on their computer, even outside of Auctiva is asking for issues. It could happen on a lot of sites but right now there is so much conversation on this site that it just waylays us from the fact that it might delay the openings. There are a lot of things going on trying to get us to that day BUT if we don't make it, we will have it soon and if we are still not happy, there is always PAYBAY.
I am being driven crazy by all the malware my computer picked up.. pop ups all over the place and incessant. I posted auctions Friday Night and Sat night... and it has been a nightmare ever since. Even with upgraded security it just keeps replicating and I have had it with having to continually regedit,

I don't think this site is safe yet. This is scary. I'm hoping that my domain doesn't get screwed up too. What can we do other than to abandon using the auction features???
Get away from IE and get Firefox or Google Chrome. The choice is yours. I like Google Chrome myself but it like the difference between Ford and Chevy. It is what you like.
Out of 5 computers the only one that caught anything was the one IE machine. It wasn't hard to get rid of but and it had 8 infections.
I blame myself, I knew I needed to change browsers but just hadn't yet.
I use McAfee but it still got past the IE.
AVG is another good one.
Also I do scans everyday because my virus software updates definitions every day so if it updates because they are finding new virus's everyday why not scan everyday.
Scotty
quote:
Originally posted by MothersCupboards:
I am wondering where everybody is getting this SIX days from. Auctiva and others have been talking about this since the 20th as posted below:

Auctiva Mike D.
Auctiva Support
Elite
Posted February 20, 2009 11:19 AM Hide Post
Hi Community,

Thanks for helping to bring this issue to our attention. We are receiving reports of this nature from several customers and our engineering team is currently looking into why these warnings have started coming up. I'm not sure what is causing this at the moment, but I'll post again to this thread as soon as additional information becomes available.

-Mike

I started this thread and have some replies to make........BUT!!!!

English is my 1st language and I can even be a little blind sometimes......But I dont see anything that says MALWARE....I see issues...I see reports....I even see WARNINGS...I SEE NOTHING ABOUT MALWARE! And don't tell me that it was in the subjent line cause I looked that up also and it says SUBJECT: Information regarding Auctiva’s Site Warning....

Nothing about MALWARE!!...stay tuned I got more....
Last edited by drhopster
quote:
Originally posted by MothersCupboards:

So, where is the amount of days coming from. I even got a phone call from Auctiva after placing a call to them and they called and said they were working on that AND it has been a topic of conversation since then. Anyone who does not use any type of virus or security system on their computer, even outside of Auctiva is asking for issues. It could happen on a lot of sites but right now there is so much conversation on this site that it just waylays us from the fact that it might delay the openings. There are a lot of things going on trying to get us to that day BUT if we don't make it, we will have it soon and if we are still not happy, there is always PAYBAY.

OK Mom you wanted to know where the 6 days are coming from look below

Information regarding Auctiva's Site Warning‏

Sent: Tue 2/24/09 1:19 AM

To: drhopster@msn.com

SUBJECT: Information regarding Auctiva’s Site Warning
February 23, 2009
7:30 PM PST

On Thursday, February 19 we discovered the presence of malware on the Auctiva servers. This caused Google to flag Auctiva as a dangerous site.

Our Systems Engineers identified the malware through our monitoring system and they immediately began working to isolate the infected servers and take them offline. During this process the site was running on fewer servers and you may have experienced some delays.

The infected servers were wiped clean and by Saturday morning, most servers were put back online. As of Sunday night, Google rescanned Auctiva.com and determined we were safe to navigate. However, upon continued monitoring today, additional malware was detected and we decided to temporarily take Auctiva.com offline to eliminate the possibility of further infection. We take the security of our site very seriously. We have identified the source of the problem and we are working 24/7 to resolve the issue. We will bring Auctiva.com back online once we are confident we can provide the level of safety and security for our customers that we have for the past 10 years.

Sincerely,
Kevin Kinell
VP, Engineering

OK....Lets see here if they knew MALWARE was on their site on Thu Feb 19. Thursday=1 Friday=2 Saturday=3 Sunday=4 Monday=5 and that makes Tuesday the 24th (6) YES six days....

More to follow.......
Last edited by drhopster
quote:
Originally posted by D357Smith:
Comment :

Previous Comment:Friday, 2/20/2009 8:59 AM
When I went to auctiva.com yesterday and today my anti-virus software warns me of a trojan horse virus.

Operating System: Windows XP
Other Browser:

New Comment:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this matter – I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. The Auctiva website does not contain any malicious software so, since you are receiving this warning on our site, there must be some aspect of our software that your antivirus program is misinterpreting as being potentially malicious.

I suspect you will be able to prevent this warning from coming up by adding “Auctiva.com” to the “excepted” list in your antivirus program configuration. I will also forward your case to our developers to let them know you received this warning.

If you have any additional questions or concerns pertaining to your Auctiva account, please feel free to let me know, and I’ll be happy to continue assisting you.

Sincerely,
Auctiva Support

Just the ONE thing about this post notice the date! FRIDAY and they knew about the MALWARE ON THURSDAY!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty:
Get away from IE and get Firefox or Google Chrome. The choice is yours. I like Google Chrome myself but it like the difference between Ford and Chevy. It is what you like.
Out of 5 computers the only one that caught anything was the one IE machine. It wasn't hard to get rid of but and it had 8 infections.
I blame myself, I knew I needed to change browsers but just hadn't yet.
I use McAfee but it still got past the IE.
AVG is another good one.
Also I do scans everyday because my virus software updates definitions every day so if it updates because they are finding new virus's everyday why not scan everyday.
Scotty

Now a couple things about this post.....I noticed that Scotty has only been apart of the message board community since middle of January AND HAS ALREADY RACKED UP 400+ POSTS...You must be working for that ELITE STATUS on the FASTTRACK...

BUT!!!...Your missing the point of THIS THREAD SCOTTY....Auctiva knew of a MALWARE PROBLEM on their site and it took them 6 Days to notify us LOYAL USERS!....The point of THIS THREAD Scotty is that people are upset with the way that AUCTIVA Mgmt has handled this problem......You can talk about GOOGLE CHROME and FIREFOX and all the other Techno BS you want and you can RACK UP THOSE POSTS so that you can continue to CLIMB THAT LADDER....But bottom line is NO BROWSER IS COMPLETELY SAFE FROM MALWARE!.....And by the way I USE NORTON AND IT DIDNT GET PAST MY IE....And there was more than ONE machine that got infected and this is just from THIS THREAD......LORD KNOWS how many NEWBIES have their machines at the GEEK SHOP right now because they were not WARNED OR PROPERLY NOTIFIED OF THIS THREAT.....WHICH I REPEAT AGAIN IS THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD!!!....Oh and by the way I am a CHEVY MAN all the way!!

Whew....I need to take a break BUT I still have one more to follow and this one is directed RIGHT AT YOU AUCTIVA MGMT....So stay tuned More To Follow......
Yes!...I am going back to the original post in this thread as I still need to get some things off of my chest!
================================================================================================
quote:
Originally posted by DrHopster:
I guess I am going to see how OPEN and TOLERANT Auctiva's Management is to open criticism....
================================================================================================

When I originally posted this thread I asked the above question....I got my answer last night..
I originally posted this thread in the SUGGESTIONS Board. And as I was following the posts yesterday and seeing that I WAS NOT ALONE with the way that I felt Auctiva Mgmt (Calling Mike D.) handled this problem Auctiva's Mgmt CLOSED DOWN THIS THREAD!..I got quite upset at this because I was awaiting an answer from Auctiva's Mgmt (Calling Mike D.) on this thread and when they closed it down I all the sudden had a sense of censorship being cast down on me, sort of like being wiped under the rug if you know what I mean! Then I found out that they just completlely moved the entire thread out of the suggestion board to this the "Everything Else" Community Board. So when I found that out I felt a little better noticed that some people were still posting on the thread and I thought to myself, OK! Great they just moved it over here let me go see if I got my answer from Mgmt and the ELITE Staff.(Calling Mike D.)...Lo and behold when I got to where the new thread is I looked up and down anticipating what was Mike D or Kevin K going to say about the post that I started and that others seemed to identify with and were looking for the same answers as me. What did I find????...ZIP!!.(Calling Mike D.)..Just a moved thread and that same old SWEPT UNDER THE RUG FEELING CAME RIGHT BACK AND BIT ME AGAIN!!....

I have been reading these boards for awhile now and I have seen Mike D answer posts from people that have lost their password. Yet on an issue as SERIOUS as this is in my eyes and the eyes of others. Nothing, just swept away from a "Suggestion Board" to an "Everything Else Board". But then I got another email from Auctiva last night, look below to see what it says (Just in case I left the rest of the original post in here also).

I just got an email notifying me of the malware problems Auctiva.com website is having even though they were apparently aware of this problem since last Thursday.....I am a little upset that it took them 6 days to email us to notify us of this problem...I seen the alerts last Thursday and in the ALERTS there was no mention of a MALWARE problem just a little blurb about having to take some servers down (How many times have we seen that alert) and that the site was running a little bit slow..I think that waiting for 6 days to notify us of MALWARE is quite irresponsible of them and I am not to happy about this.(Calling Mike D.)..This just caused me 2 hours of unecessary work but THANK YOU NORTON FOR SAVING THE DAY FOR ME!!!...As it is I had to delete all form data all password data and now having to put that info back in is a big pain in the U KNOW WHAT!!!!

quote:
So I ask this of Auctiva's Mgmt.(Calling Mike D.)....What do you got to say for yourself????...What precautions are you going to take in the future for your LOYAL users???(Calling Mike D.)

Heres the Email:

UPDATE - Information regarding the Auctiva Site Warning‏
Sent: Tue 2/24/09 11:16 PM
To: drhopster@msn.com

You are receiving this email because you requested Auctiva email updates.
Note: I am signed up to receive all Auctiva Email Updates

SUBJECT: UPDATE - Information regarding Auctivas Site Warning
February 24, 2009
5:30 PM PST

After notable efforts by our IT and Development teams, as well as assistance from eBay, we were able to bring Auctiva.com back online as of 5 am, PST. Our site is safe to navigate, as verified by Google.

===========================================================================================================
Note: The assistance from Ebay and note that Google AGAIN has declared them safe to navigate even though the last time Google did this when the site was brought back up they found more MALWARE
===========================================================================================================

We identified the root issue of the malware and we're moving forward with the necessary protection to prevent this from happening again.

We are on a more segregated network with increased security and are performing on-going virus scans. Additionally, eBay is currently running a vulnerability scan to ensure the integrity of our database. There are still a few minor issues with the live site that we are resolving. These are no longer related to the malware, but rather issues in bringing the site back up on new servers. Our Release Engineering team is working with IT to get things back to complete.

What happened?

The virus malware was injected via a third third-party plug-in. Once in the file directory, the virus malware executed malicious script that gained access to files. Once access was gained, the perpetrators used that access to place low-level malicious script into files that were distributed to some of our users.

========================================================================================================================
Note: Your an E-Commerce Website and NOW your on a "more segregated server with INCREASED SECURITY"....Note: Ebay is still running vulnerability scans to ensure the integrity of their database....Note: The virus MALWARE was injected via a 3rd party plug-in??????????????????....HUH!!!...I'm no Techie but does that sound like sabotage to anyone else but me??????...1st party Auctiva...2nd party Servers....3rd party PLUG-IN Does this mean someone plugged the virus into their Servers......I dont know I am no Techie I just use English as my 1st Language....LOL...(Calling Mike D.)
========================================================================================================================

Sincerely,
Kevin Kinell
VP, Engineering

So in the long and the short of it I don't, we don't have an answer for the simple question that was asked when this whole thread got started. And thanks to the HELP of Ebay and Google everyone in the Auctiva IT Department is running around the office with their ties tied around their forehead slapping each other on the back, and we have no answer to the question that was asked.

Calling Mike D. This is Derrick out here and I lost my password can you help me?????

Am I alone in this thought????....I guess I will find out!!!

PS I still LOVE the Auctiva website and the tools that they provide for ebay sellers just really think this was handled wrong. Smile Confused

Cool
Last edited by drhopster

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.