Skip to main content

Whenever I try to print an international Airmail Letter Post label through PayPal's thing with USPS, it wants to make it GLOBAL Airmail Letter Post, not just a regular Airmail Letter Post. Are these really the same thing? I haven't been brave enough to follow it through to the payment phase because I didn't want to pay for my shipping than my buyer did if it was really Global Priority or Global Express.

Also, is there a way around it asking for a phone number for the recipient? Can I put in dummy numbers?

Thanks to all!
2purrcats
Smile
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They're not the same thing. You can only get Airmail Letter Post by going to the Post Office personally, unfortunately. There may be 3rd party shipping services that offer it (i.e. Endicia), but I'm not 100% sure about it.

I ship all of my international stuff Air Letter Post, because it's cheapest, relatively fast, and Auctiva will insure it. It's just a bit of a pain in the butt to have to go to the PO to do it...
I have also had similar experiences with this. Neither PayPal nor the USPS website offers this shipping option. This is also true of Airmail PARCEL Post.

An employee at the post office once asked me about it because I usually just drop-off my prepaid packages and I'm on my way, often bypassing other disgruntled customers in long lines. I told her that it was not offered on the website. She seemed surprised but otherwise just shrugged her shoulders. I don't think they want people to know about the potential cost savings.

Regarding your other question about 'dummy' phone numbers on Customs Forms: I ALWAYS ask my international customers to provide their phone number prior to shipping their merchandise. This is an aid to the shipper in delivering the parcel. In the event it cannot be delivered, international parcels are often simply disgarded unless the shipper specifically requests - and agrees to pay for - return shipping! For higher-priced items, it's not worth the risk - and if the Buyer doesn't respond I would probably refund their money and cancel the transaction.

Customs Declaration Forms are not something to mess with, so you should insert 'fake' information onto them. It may prevent your item from clearing Customs and never be delivered to the recipient. Check your PayPal Instant Payment Notifications and also the PayPal or eBay Transaction Details - a Buyer's phone number will sometimes be listed on one, but not necessarily all, of these e-Documents.

And while I'm on the subject of Customs Forms - never, EVER ship items sold on eBay as a "gift"! It is against the law to circumvent the payment of customs duty fees. If a Buyer asks you to ship their item(s) as a gift, politely say "NO"! It is their legal obligation and responsibility to pay these fees.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.