Skip to main content

When my items end without a sale and I don't think they are likely to sell the second time, I will insert a different item and change everything, being careful not to raise the starting price, so I can receive a relist credit if the second listing sells. I have done this MANY times. Recently, on three different items, after going through the whole procedure, I realized that they were going to be treated as entirely new listings, and the relisting check marks did not appear next to the old listings either, which remain "eligible". Can any experienced ebayer give me a clue? I adhered to all the requirements and even though at the start of the relisting process the notice "you will receive an insertion fee credit" appeared, by the time I arrived at "submit" the notice was absent. What gives?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As long as it is permissable to change categories and everything else in a listing, it is possible and therefore permitted to substitute another item. Many people do this. I have discovered on the discussion boards in ebay that there are bugs in the new SYI form that impact the relist button on one's unsold items page, as well as using html from a third party. I am sure that when ebay decides it is "fee avoidance" to substitute one item for another it will be announced loud and clear and included in their relist checklist. Capiche?
In addition, from reading discussion board posts, I gather than some people think ebay's new SYI form is designed to make it very difficult, if not impossible, to use one's own template html. I have noticed some problems with using your auctiva templates. Have others had problems with the new SYI form and auctiva's html?
Well, I went back and checked all my auctions and they all look o.k. I do appreciate the availability of auctiva for its templates and scheduling. There are persons on the ebay discussion boards who believe that it won't be long before they start charging for things that so many of us use auctiva for--photos and templates, etc. In other words, they would charge me for using a third-party service, or stop permitting the use of same. One person claims they have started warning bidders that any other form of payment besides Paypal is "unsafe". Someone else said that the new Turbo Lister is defaulted to "accept Paypal only". So , Jeff, my question to you is--why not set up an Auctiva site to go head to head with ebay? You have great name recognition at this point and it would be an instant success, especially if you used google checkout. I would like to print up and sell some bumper-stickers saying "Dump Ebay-Buy Auctiva!" I realize you are between a rock and a hard place, so don't really expect a reply... Big Grin
Don't believe all the rumors you hear either. I've been hearing all of that for 10 years. Just a bunch of clap-trap. eBay is smart enough to nickel and dime users to death with services and enhancements, but they aren't stupid enough to put 3rd party services on the banned list. Been tried already, now eBay embraces them.
quote:
Originally posted by Roamer:
In addition, from reading discussion board posts, I gather than some people think ebay's new SYI form is designed to make it very difficult, if not impossible, to use one's own template html. I have noticed some problems with using your auctiva templates. Have others had problems with the new SYI form and auctiva's html?

Hi Roamer.......I figured out how to revise and get credit but it is so damn complicated that I could not even explain it!!
I am so pissed off right now at Ebay that I am beginning to understand why so many sellers post bad comments about them!
I always thought that these comments were unprofessional and not fair to Ebay but I am starting to see the light!
I am a "right to the point honest type person" and I can't stand Ebay playing these games with us!
I have written them at least 20 times about the cheap listing days...revising...and fee avoidance issues...and they have not once said that you cannot revise your unsold items and change it with another item!!
I, too, will NOT very often relist the same unsold item....That's what my stores are for!
I place my unsold items in my stores or not relist them at all!
Ebay has never called this fee avoidance! They have NEVER said this to me!
I just wrote a message on the 20 cent listing day topic....will someone please go there and read it and answer me?!
I am trying to find out if there really was a 20 cent day this week!

Also Roamer.....if you really want to know how to revise and receive credit....I would be happy to walk you through it over the phone...not through email. Too confusing!
quote:
Originally posted by JeffS:
quote:
Originally posted by Roamer:
I am sure that when ebay decides it is "fee avoidance" to substitute one item for another it will be announced loud and clear and included in their relist checklist. Capiche?

Don't be so sure of that. This is GreedBay, remember?

Jeff...This is exactly what Ebay should do!!!
They should STOP playing games with us and say we should not relist with another item!!!
I have written them many times over this and they have given me the OK to relist a different item!! YET...they are trying to mess us up with their software!!!!
I figured it out but we should NOT have to go through this!
I just hope that this relisting software issue is just a temporary problem....I do hope it starts working right and I hope that Ebay isn't just messing with us!
They now only give us back the fee we actually paid for the first time when relisting so I don't understand what the big issue over this is!
eBay will never answer a direct question. It's a waste of time to even ask. All eBay ever answers with are canned replies. Their support is a waste of time. I would take any "OK" they give you with a grain of salt, because it's meaningless.

Do you actually think their support personal knows what their programing staff is doing? Their programming staff doesn't even know what they are doing!

Oh, and I still say that's fee avoidance. Sorry.
Yeah, if eBay doesn't officially consider it fee avoidance right now then it's only a matter of time.

Letting a seller relist an unsold item for free is a bonus they don't have to offer. So if you switch out the item, then of course they could say it's fee avoidance because the offer doesn't apply to the new item.

Not that I care one way or the other, I'm just saying.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.