Skip to main content

Hi,

I have a listing up that will be ending on Tuesday evening. In doing the final preparation in getting my items to be shipped out I found a couple of very small spots (barely noticeable) on two shirts. I have taken pictures and would like to put them on the listing. From what I understand, you cannot add any pictures until within 12 hours of ending the auction if there are bids. I do want to make a revision change in the description today, but would like to notify the bidders if I can. Does anyone know if I can contact the potential buyers who placed bids to let them know of this? Is this against eBay policy to contact them? When I click on their eBay id and it brings me to there feedback page, there is a link to contact member. Would you recommend doing this? or what else would one recommend? The spots are so very small, but I want to be totally honest and be in good standing on eBay.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi - The 12 hour rule states that you must revise your description BEFORE 12 hours from the closing if you have bids, after 12 hours it's too late:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/revise-item.html

There should be no problem with you contacting your own bidders. You just can't contact other seller's bidders in an attempt to lure them away from (or otherwise disrupt) their auction. In your case, I would definitely contact your bidders to give them the new info to avoid problems later, or give them a chance to cancel their bids, in addition to adding to your description. Smile
Last edited by ninthwave
Thanks ninth_wave

I tried to go to the listing to make revisions, but was only able to make changes to the description and not add new photos. I just looked at the rules again and it states that if it's more than 12 hours with bids before the closing I can revise/add to the description, but in order to add the new photos I took to show the spots, it has to be within 12 hours of closing. Kind of strange. I will notify my bidders and see if I can attach pictures directly to them until I can put them on my listing within 12 hours of closing.

RULES FOR: Less than 12 hours

Yes (bids)

Your changes should not affect the basic item description. You can:

* Add optional features to increase your item's visibility (for example, bold).
* Add or change a Gallery picture.
I believe you are misinterpreting the rules. Ebay is referring to GALLERY pictures which is not the same as pictures in your discription. A gallery pic is the photo that shows up in the search results only. You want to add to the pics in your description, quite different. Here is how to do it:

1) Locate your listing in your Saved Listings folder, make any necessary changes (including photos), preview, and save.
2) Check the box next to your updated listing in your Saved Listings folder and click the “Get HTML” button.
3) Copy the HTML in the popup box.
4) Locate the item on eBay and click the "Revise Item" button.
5) Click "Edit Description" then click the "Enter your own HTML" tab.
6) Paste the copied HTML in place of what's there and save your changes.
Ok, I followed what you said to do within my Auctiva saved listing and when I got to the eBay listing and followed your instructions in eBay and hit save, it said that the description could no longer be revised. I initially went directly into the listing a few hours ago and brought it up, clicked revise listing and added a note. It now shows up at the bottom of the auction. I didn't know that I could go through Auctiva and do a revision. I guess now I have to wait till there are only 12 hours remaining to add the couple of pictures of the clothing that are in question. Unless you have any other suggestions. Thank you for the valuable lesson for future auctions. There's a lot to learn! Thanks a lot!
Hi - Ok, I believe I was 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. The error in my previous post was in not distinguishing between the ebay terms "revising" the description and "adding to" the description. Because you have a bidder, you can not REVISE your description, but you can ADD to it, as you added your note just below your description - this should include adding pictures to the same area. The way to do this is to click on the "add images" button in your list of active listings in Auctiva. This will place the added pics as a specific ADDITION, below and separate from your main description. Sorry for confusing you.

However, I still contend that if you wait until 12 hours before the end of your auction that you will not be able to do this because you have a bid and they only allow changing the GALLERY photo in that case, which is not what you wish to do.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.