Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

store window - might be because really slows down load time of page for dialup users.

right click - some people like to navigate around by right clicking, if pic doesnt load right click on it and tell browser to retry to load that pic, etc.

so could be someone wanting to help ya, could be someone who's frustrated by it, or could be someone wanting to copy your pics and get you to stop cross-promoting your stuff. could be any of those.
quote:
Originally posted by wayoutwest:
store window - might be because really slows down load time of page for dialup users.

right click - some people like to navigate around by right clicking, if pic doesnt load right click on it and tell browser to retry to load that pic, etc.

so could be someone wanting to help ya, could be someone who's frustrated by it, or could be someone wanting to copy your pics and get you to stop cross-promoting your stuff. could be any of those.

just wanted to throw in that i have dialup,(ugh) and my store windows work fine (but i'm not very trusting of people either Wink )....
and wanted to confirm about crosspromoting cuz i didn't really know what it was..that's just when people see other stuff of yours via your SW on your auction pages??
I absolutely hate, with a passion, seeing right-click protected listings.

It is rude and arrogant in my opinion.

I am one of the many people who use right-click to navigate, mostly to 'open link in new window'. This is so I can keep a listing open, for example, but also open a seller's feedback profile, or view his other items.

Disabling right-click does NOT stop people copying your pics (they can just save the whole web page, or 'view source' and get your pic URLS from there) but it DOES interrupt people's normal browsing habits and it displays a kind of aggression, like you are perfectly happy to inconvenience your customers for no good reason.

It is very annoying to some of your visitors and it doesn't solve your problem, so don't do it.
You do it by using HTML code in your listing that overrides the properties for the whole page (not just your images) - it's bad form unless you know exactly what you are doing, as you can completely screw up the way the whole page loads in different browsers.

Ever seen ebay pages that look weird? Things like dodgy colours and pictures sitting in the wrong place (like behind text or other pictures)?

This is what happens when you muck around with HTML page properties in your eBay listings.

Like I said before, it achieves nothing other than annoying people. It affects the entire page including things you might not be aware of, and I think it looks totally unprofessional and arrogant.

If you don't want people to copy your images then don't upload them to the internet!

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.