Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Anyone else with a little more helpful reply?

Taz gave you the work around, ok here is a technical answer,it is not possible to tell the Sellathon statistics software to ignore the address of your PC as your IP address can vary depending on your LAN and ISP.

Please note that if you access the internet through an ISP which assigns addresses dynamically (the norm) the IP address seen by Sellathan may be different from one week to the next you only lease an address, its related to economics of hardware and software resources.

So Sellathan could only block a selected IP address if you had a static address which can cost real money.

Why not check how many have viewed from the Sellathon site rather than look at the listings, even easier.

And don't forget load times will also be affected by a buyers ISP, PC ... but once you have tested a few selected listings why keep doing it. ?
Choo, thank you for the prompt reply.

>>the IP address seen by Sellathan may be different from one week to the next

Actually, the difference here is moment to moment. I experimented a bit to see just how it operates - Sellathon counts even a refresh of the page as a new hit, which for me makes it well nigh useless as a hit counter.

>>Why not check how many have viewed from the Sellathon site rather than look at the listings

Naturally as soon as I discovered the flaw I adjusted accordingly - nudged all items up to an even number of hits in order to get a count from a level baseline. But I am interested in a fix not a workaround. I will be launching dozens more auctions soon and no doubt fielding many questions which will require checking my auction pages frequently. Getting a skewed hit count due to my own visits is like Watson smudging the fingerprints before Holmes can pull out his glass.

This is true particularly since the Auctiva "Active Listings" page hit count system appears to be quite lazy [updates maybe once a day? - with no manual refresh option?] That makes an accurate Sellathon count all the more important to me.

Of course, I'm planning on trying the paid version shortly - previous posts suggest it's the bones - perhaps its additional functionality will give me what I need. [Though I'm not optimistic since its latest "Latest News" update is 3 years old!]

A past hit counter I used [Vendio?] handled this issue perfectly - counted only your first visit but no more - will have to rummage through the brain attic to locate that. A third party hit counter might be the only solution.

>>load times will also be affected by a buyers ISP, PC

Exactly - one reason I test my listing often - see below

>>but once you have tested a few selected listings why keep doing it. ?

I visit my listings like a doting mum checks on her children. I tinker, tweak, dither, dabble, fuss and fix what's broken [and, often, what's not.] I check my auctions through every means - by broadband, dial-up, other's computers, laptops, large and small screens, via IE 5 through 7, AOL, Firefox 0.9 through 2.0.0.11, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape Navigator, from the public library, the payphone and the Mars Rover - all to verify that what I thought was posted is exactly what everyone else is seeing. I've often come across listings or - worse - whole websites which don't render properly in, say, Firefox - the Webmaster is just too lazy to check his work in anything other than IE. Idly paging through my own listings as I do, I've found title fields I'd left empty and obvious description errors [Hello, how'd I forget to mention that's a Book Club edition?!]

My current few launches are unimportant tests - when I get back to listing some serious collectibles I don't want any cracks in the sidewalk tossing me on my keister.

In short, I'm OCD. As a service to any other equally OCD Auctivites, if my investigation turns up any additional info I'll post it here.

Thanks again for your prompt reply
From experience I can assure you that serious collectables can be started at 99p or cents rapidly collect bids and the number of views rocket so worrying over this detail is a little irrelevant.

Trivial items will only get a few views, and remember most big bidders hit in the closing seconds even after a 10 day listing.

Important details are, plenty of clear bright photographs, accurate titles no words like 'must see' 'wow', exclamation marks etc, followed up with detailed descriptions and concise terms and conditions.

Finally high quality packing especially if the items are fragile, do not skimp on the delivery phase.

As a final finally, make sure listings end at a time when those bidders are going to be at home huddled around their PC's not when they are all at work, I have picked up a good few bargains through silly end days and times. Smile
quote:
>>but once you have tested a few selected listings why keep doing it. ?

I visit my listings like a doting mum checks on her children. I tinker, tweak, dither, dabble, fuss and fix what's broken [and, often, what's not.] I check my auctions through every means - by broadband, dial-up, other's computers, laptops, large and small screens, via IE 5 through 7, AOL, Firefox 0.9 through 2.0.0.11, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape Navigator, from the public library, the payphone and the Mars Rover - all to verify that what I thought was posted is exactly what everyone else is seeing. I've often come across listings or - worse - whole websites which don't render properly in, say, Firefox - the Webmaster is just too lazy to check his work in anything other than IE. Idly paging through my own listings as I do, I've found title fields I'd left empty and obvious description errors [Hello, how'd I forget to mention that's a Book Club edition?!]

OTT OTT OTT OTT OTT OTT OTT OTT Eek

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.