Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Marsha, this is one of your weakest articles.

You completely forgot DHL, which can be much less expensive than Fedex or UPS. Their DHL@Home service which has USPS do the final delivery is also noteworthy and can be very cost effective for heavy packages. (Fedex also has a similar service, but it is only available to large volume shippers).

One of the great benefits of Fedex is that aside from "Federal Express pickup station" all FedexKinkos Locations accept Fedex Express, Ground and Home Delivery Packages free of charge.(By the way they no longer go by Federal Express, and official changed their corporate name to Fedex in 2000). UPS has the same setup with the UPS Stores (previously Mailboxes Etc). DHL does not have as large a retail presence, however they require that all retailers who offer counter shipping accept DHL drop-offs free of charge (UPS and Fedex do not require this).

Also with USPS, you completely neglected Click-n-Ship (which is free, has discounted rates, and free delivery confirmation), Endicia (which is much better than Stamps.com), and RedRoller.

-Jared
quote:
Originally posted by mynameforposting:
I could be wrong but didn't the US Postal Service stop offering free priority tape years ago? My PO quit stocking it saying that too many people were using it for reasons besides shipping packages. I assumed they stopped stocking everywhere. If this isn't the case I would love to know where to get some - I don't find it on the PO's website either.

Yes, they did stop offering Priority Tape, however the stuff was junk. That is one thing that I splurge on. Buy the best quality 3M tape (Costco and Sams have it in 8 packs). It saves you in the end because you use less and you don't have packages opening en route.

-Jared
So many mistakes in that article.
There is no charge for Delivery Confirmation with Priority USPS shipping.

DHL is now available at All Walgreen stores....and you don't even mention DHL.

You don't need a USPS Postal License, to avoid dragging your packages to the post office. Right online you can schedule a free carrier pickup, and they'll pickup however many packages you have. I do this several days a week!

Why sign up for Stamps.com? You can print your postage directly from USPS.com.

I'm not sure where she got her numbers from, but FedEx Ground is always cheaper than UPS.
Yes, you got me all excited when you said that usps offered free tape. I thought maybe they brought it back...Tape & Bubble Wrap are the most expensive things for me and I go through them like water. At least I did get my local heath care center to give me their shredded paper from shredded documents. I can get at least 2 garbage bags full of it every two weeks..saves me some good dough on void fill and works way better than peanuts anyway...nothing moves around when it is surrounded by all that paper..it does add a little more weight than peanuts but well worth the extra security. Now if i could only find a way of getting free or really cheap bubble wrap and tape...lol
When shipping items out Priority Mail for my website, the shipping rates are discounted for flat rate envelopes and boxes, plus the delivery confirmation is free. When shipping eBay items out Priority Mail, it is the same for flat rate, so the flat rate envelope runs $4.75 and includes delivery confirmation. I know that the rates for the article were based on a 2 pound package, but I thought that I would chime in.

Yes, if you go to the post office, you will pay the $4.80 for a flat rate envelope and extra for the delivery confirmation, but by creating the label on line you are saving money all around when it comes to shipping items that would generally run less in a flat rate envelope or box.

You can also order supplies on line for free and delivered to your home.
I would like to know if anyone has worked with UPS's media mail rates. I know they have them but I was kind of turned of by the whole thing when I called the 800 # & the CS rep had NO idea what I was talking about. I told her I was looking at a UPS brochure in my hand at the time that talk about media mail but gave no rates. I never could find the actual rates on their website & eventually gave up for the moment.

I have to say that I LOVE PP multiorder shipping. It has been much better the past several months (w/o all the "post office connectivity" issues and all).
Hi czbkz!
I have worked for UPS for five years, and I also have shipped lots of books over the last five years. Media rate is offered by the USPS (postal service) only.....UPS (United Parcel Service) does not offer that rate. It's easy to confuse the two if just going by the intials...way too similar! The media rate is great if your package meets the requirements and you're not in a hurry.

Also, to correct an error in this article, United Parcel Service (UPS) DOES OFFER FREE SHIPPING MATERIALS! You can go to the website and order boxes, envelopes and labels (you have to set up a UPS acct, which is free). Also, you can pay for shipping and print your labels directly online thru the company website or Paypal. UPS does charge to pick up a pkg at your home unless you meet some kind of account criteria (I don't remember what those are), BUT you CAN easily get the pkgs to UPS without charge by one these methods: you can give your pkg to any UPS driver whenever you see the big brown truck (I know my driver always starts downtown, so I load up my UPS boxes & head to Main Street about 9:30 a.m. and just give them to him)....you can also drop them off at a UPS Store, a UPS Customer Center, an Authorized Shipping Outlet, or a UPS Drop Box (these are scattered around town and look like postal mail boxes, only brown, of course!). Another plus with UPS is that ALL packages are easily trackable, whether it's an envelope or box. I have had more than one bad experience trying to find out where a pkg has been thru the postal service. A lot of times they just flat out don't know and can't tell you how to find it. Also, UPS's shipping rates are now pretty competitive with the mail service's, especially if you are wanting to have the item insured. UPS shipping includes insurance up to $100. ALL insurance is extra thru the post office. Also, just like the postal service, delivery time with UPS is based on distance. You can ship an item ground rates and if it's close enough, it could arrive the next day, or two days...whatever...go to UPS.com and look at the View Service Guide under Calculate Time and Cost. They stand behind their guarantees, and claims are easily filed. My experience with postal claims hasn't been too good....they aren't organized in how they do it and it seems to take forever.

Hope this helps.....it's from my vast shipping knowledge earned thru the school of hard knocks!

quote:
Originally posted by czbkz:
I would like to know if anyone has worked with UPS's media mail rates. I know they have them but I was kind of turned of by the whole thing when I called the 800 # & the CS rep had NO idea what I was talking about. I told her I was looking at a UPS brochure in my hand at the time that talk about media mail but gave no rates. I never could find the actual rates on their website & eventually gave up for the moment.

I have to say that I LOVE PP multiorder shipping. It has been much better the past several months (w/o all the "post office connectivity" issues and all).
I almost exclusively use USPS Priority Mail because the mail carrier picks up my packages right at my door. I rarely have to go to the post office! AND there is no fee for pick up, whereas UPS charges to pick up and their shipping charge for UPS Ground is higher than USPS for the lighter weight packages. When you get into heavy large packages, sometimes UPS Ground is cheaper. I love PayPal shipping, it's easy, convenient, tied to the ebay sale and can't imagine why anyone would want to manually process their packages and take them to the post office. HAPPY SHIPPING! Jeanie B
I just moved to downtown SF. I got rid of my car before coming out here, so I don't have easy transport to the PO here which is over a mile away. Not far at all, I know but I can ship quite a few (heavy) packages daily. Have USPS pick up you say? Well...I can for domestic mail, but for international I use 1st Class International, which cannot be printed on the USPS or Paypal sites...meaning I have to go to the PO for that.

Solutions? Stamps.com doesn't look that good. Endicia maybe? They don't automatically populate the shipping info from your eBay sales (at least on a Mac they don't), which is kind of a pain. Are there other online postage companies out there that are better integrated with eBay that anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance!

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.