Skip to main content

I can't get images to load with Firefox. In IE all SEEMS to work okay (if slow) BUT I cannot SAVE, SCHEDULE OR POST a listing. Get an error & have to start all over from scratch. If you can't SAVE, SCHEDULE OR POST, what's the point of having the site up at all? It's an exercise in frustration. I'd rather have the site down altogether than to have to keep trying every 1/2 hour to see if it's working... and finding out that it's not. Frown
Kevin,

I'm sorry you are being bombarded with questions, but I was wondering if it would be at all possible to actually take the site down to help the update process? I'm sure 95% of users right now will just continue trying to edit listings and further slow the servers and database. Since the site is unusable right now, wouldn't it make sense to just take it down and push the fix?
I agree andrea. I'm thinking about the options I have right now and one option is to completely bring the site down and run our update while we're offline.

This was a human error on our part. This update should have been run before we came back online this morning. However it was missed and we elected to run it while the site was up and running, which has caused major site slowness issues.

On another note, we have found the remaining issue with the tax table API error. This fix will be going out shortly. I'm hoping that once there are less errors in the scheduling process the update mentioned above will be able to complete.

In no way should our site still be down right now, especially due to the increase in volume due to the season and ebay listing discounts. We are doing everything we can to get back to a stable state.

-Kevin
I'm not able to access my saved listings, so I'm going to take a break for awhile.

I'll be uploading them tonight -- assuming everything's back to normal.

Until then I'm going to get out of here and let them work. Might be good advice to everyone. No use paddling upstream in the rapids when there's smoother waters ahead. A few words of wisdom worth about 1 cent after inflation. Smile
Agreed, at the end of Ebay's free listings, very bummed. And in daytime hours, very bummed about that ... should have been done between 3am and 6am. Posted two listing, never showed up, checked scheduled - both listings are there saying there were errors regarding TAX ... Can not access either listing now AND at the end of posting system stated listings were posted successfully. How do I get to these listings? I put alot of work into them ??????

B
quote:
Originally posted by Auctiva Kevin K.:
Won't go into technical details, but we're reverting the update that was slowing the site down. Will post when I have more info.

Thanks, Kevin. I love the site and am grateful for all you guys do. You rock! But, see post #2 on p. 1, right after your original post.

I posted that message about the poor timing hoping someone would see it and hold off on the release...so we can take advantage of the rest of eBay's listing sale.

Here's hoping for the best!
We really appreciate all the new things you do and the fabulous customer support. BUT can you explain why you would schedule a change such as this at the most crucial time for us to get our listings in before the end of the month. It seems that there is some limited thinking on your timing. Any changes should take into consideration things that are going on outside of Auctiva. Since eBay is one of your larger customer bases, it seems that when you have your meetings and discussions on when and how to do changes you would look at the bigger picture.
Although the changes will be great and very much appreciated someone missed it on the timing of doing this.
We know that change will create some small glitches but it is now almost 4 hours after your determined time of finishing up. For us on the West coast at least we are 3 hours behind the East coast, but still for so many who use eBay as a full time income, I am not sure all factors were taken into consideration when making this decision. I know that we don't have all the knowledge here about how these things work, but really at "THIS TIME??????
Just some thoughts for the future. Hey do you want to hire me to help you look ahead at at the scenarios :0). LOL
Blessings
Sherry
I know this usually sounds like a generic solution that never works, but it's possible that due to the downtime we've had over the morning, your browser has "cached" the auctiva.com site as being down.

For those that can't log in, I would suggest clearing your browser cache and then retry. Let me know if this resolves the problem.

The sellers details problem may actually be a caching issue as well. There are javascript files on that page that your browser may have an older version of because of a bug on that page that doesn't specify that we need to expire the cache when we do a release.

Let me know if you need info on how to clear your browser cache.

-Kevin
quote:
Originally posted by ybs:
Kevin,
Cleared browser cache in Firefox... I am able to get to my saved listings. Opening a listing errors out with the normal "An error has occurred during the processing of your request. Please try again or file a support case if this problem continues." Site slowness is obviously still there.
Thanks,
Mike

Yes, this is my experience as well.
In response to the timing of our release...

There is never a time we can do a release and make everyone happy. With customers in the UK, AU and US, we have users actively using our site 24/7.

That being said, there are definitely days and times that have less usage than others. We specifically do our weekly maintenance at one of the lowest traffic usage points of the week.

Right now, eBay activity is on a major upswing, as it is every year in the months preceding Christmas. We wanted to get this release out as early as we could this month to try and not interfere with the holiday posting rush, which is only going to increase over the next few weeks.

Many people will feel we should have waited 1 more week to wait for the listing discount period to be over. Looking at our statistical data, we felt that listing activity would remain about the same in the coming weeks, despite the discount being over. We then made the decision that the earlier date would be better to ensure that if we have to do any follow up releases to fix bugs they could be done as quickly as possible in this high volume listing season.

The decision on time of day was probably too optimistic on my part. Unfortunately, I needed to have all of my developers and support staff in the office today to make sure they could investigate issues as they arose. Given the size of our staff, I was not able to get enough people into the office in the middle of the night and had to set the release time to start at 6am Pacific time. Ideally, I would have liked to have started at 3 or 4am.

The site was targeted to be back up and running at 8:30am Pacific time and this actually was accomplished. What added an additional few hours of delays and site slowness was the mistake we made with a database update not being included during the scheduled downtime. We made an on the fly decision to run the update to fix errors on the website for certain users. In retrospect, it would have been better to not run that update until maintenance time (middle of night). Of course the users who were affected would probably think otherwise. Smile

Anyway, I hope this gives you some perspective from our side of things. We do spend a lot of time planning out the best strategy for a release and sometimes have to live with the fact it will impact some users.

I apologize for any problems this has caused you today.

-Kevin
I see that we can now schedule listings for the future from the closed listing page, but when I schedule them it does not mark those listings as scheduled. Is there going to eventually be something on this page today to mark the scheduled listings like on the new listing page so we can keep up with what we have scheduled and not have to go back and forth from page to page?

Also I know I had many listings on the closed listing page that were already relisted and had a link beside them that showed they were relisted. Where did this go? I don't want to have to search my eBay store through a thousand items to see if I have already relisted an item or not. Is this something that will be updated today so we know what listings we have relisted?

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.