Skip to main content

Does anyone know if there will be any changes to the current shipping options once this new policy is effective July 1?

I'm hearing rumors (and I hope they are just that) that "Standard Flat Rate Shipping" and "Other" may be dropped from the dropdown list.

I've tried both Ebay Live Help (which was of no help) and emailing Ebay CS. Neither answered my question.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I assume there will be changes effective July 1, as announced in March and recent repeats. The policy change does require you specify domestic shipping service and cost. However, I think the "Other" which reverts to "see decription", i.e. not specifying is what's really being elimintated. They can't eliminate Standard Flat, as it would remove the option for use of other than the select carriers, USPS and UPS.

If you aren't using the select carriers, e.g. FedEx, I'd use Flat and NAME THE CARRIER in the description. Hopefully, that's what they want for policy compliance.

JMO

Danno
I've run into problems in the past when selecting the "Standard Flat Rate Shipping" and then putting in a cost for BPM and stating BPM in the description (we all know how well some buyers read descriptions!).

Buyers were confused and thought SFRS meant Priority Flat Rate Shipping and then got upset because I shipped by BPM which is slow-boat service.

I liked "Other" better because it does refer them to the description and is very "vanilla" as far as shipping method.
OK. I've listed one with "Other" as the shipping method. Now I'll wait and see if it gets "broken" when July 1 rolls around.

If Ebay takes "Other" out of the calculator I can't believe they would have 2 working at the same time: one prior to July 1 listings and one after July 1 listings.

Danno ... what part of Columbus do you live in? I lived in Columbus for 3 or 4 years before I moved to North Carolina. Great city ... I miss it.
Hmmmm....I see the dilema. Is BPM the Bound Printed Material rate from USPS or a carrier that I don't know? Just curious if BPM is in the same context and delivery times as Media/Parcel rate.

Suggestion if "Other" is eliminated on July 1:

Use the Standard Flat Rate and state the BPM as your discounted method with a reference to sample delivery times that helps the buyer understand it's slow boat. If they have a zone chart for times that can be added to the listing, that helps alot.

In the Shipping options, add USPS Priority Mail or Expedited Flat with carrier as an option for fast delivery. Hopefully, a visible choice that separates the two services and slow vs. fast is less confusing and gives you less grief with DSRs on delivery time.

Danno
You posted while I was writing. Big Grin

I just moved back to Columbus, near Westerville, from Charlotte, NC. I moved to Charlotte from Westerville many years ago. I've got family here.

Oh...and I'm sure you can continue to use "Other" until the rule takes effect, then it probably will reject any new listing with an API about policy violation. That's typically how they do it.

Danno
quote:
Originally posted by Danno:
You posted while I was writing. Big Grin

I just moved back to Columbus, near Westerville, from Charlotte, NC. I moved to Charlotte from Westerville many years ago. I've got family here.

Oh...and I'm sure you can continue to use "Other" until the rule takes effect, then it probably will reject any new listing with an API about policy violation. That's typically how they do it.

Danno
I've been away a while redoing my postage rates etc....urghh! I had over 90 listings at the time it changed...seems like there could've been a smoother way to transistion. Of course, not everyone has that many items. (MINI's)
I should've read here. But I'm not sure I understand the bulk editing feature, never tried it.
To clarify, my saved listings are the ones I've listed correct? Altho, I may have others saved that aren't listed now for whatever reason, correct? (Well, I do have, but just trying to clarify what will happen to all.)
So if I bulk edit the shipping profile will that do it? I think not.
I have to edit the shipping options somewhere. uuuuuooohhh I think I'm confused.
I suppose I should try one or two as you suggested, but do I have the concept or not?
Danno, it's so nice to see you here. Each time I drive by here or stop to read and post you are here helping people. You should get paid for what the techs don't have to do. Wink
Hi N,

You can create one or more Shipping profiles and use the Find & Replace to make the change. I'm only taking a guess at this point on what the new policy means, but I believe I saw an answer to the question recenlty on another Forum (maybe eBay) and it was targeted to eliminating Description only shipping costs on listings. That's why my best guess is, no more "Other". Who knows, given their recent change history! Roll Eyes

The Auctiva techs have been very very busy making great stuff for us. I'm on a "break" and decided I'd lend a hand as a Thank You.

Danno

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.