Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just recently began selling on Amazon, and I find the "amazonification" term sort of humorous. Because on Amazon, I've also seen reference to "Ebayerism" over there.

On an eBay forum today, I saw someone comment that eBay was not viable as a media venue, with these changes, but I don't see where they got that idea. As a media seller, and also a media buyer, I believe that the changes will achieve what they hope to achieve. More inventory listed...

I sell books on numerous venues, however, I must limit my upfront risk, in listing inventory on eBay, because of the listing fees. As a buyer, I've often seen the absence of a combined shipping discount to be one of the Amazon marketplaces biggest drawbacks. (I will shop Amazon for new books, but not used.) Perhaps Amazon is "king" in some peoples minds, but its never the first place I SHOP for books. Namely, because I'm one of those shoppers who never buys just ONE book. Perhaps I am alone on this, but I don't find their third party storefronts to be at all user friendly. I much prefer eBay...

I am able to offer my customers a much greater value on eBay, because I can control their shipping discounts. My customers are generously rewarded for making multiple purchases from me on eBay. With these fixed rate changes, I can now realistically also offer them a much greater selection of inventory, to take advantage of these discounts. Though yet to be implemented, the changes in listing fee structure, promise to provide MY buyers an enhanced buying experience.

I also don't see where the "auction is dead" gloom and doom attitude is stemming from. Auctions are still available for those items which an auction is still the best option. Which pricing structure is best still depends largely on what you are selling. An auction format, is definately not a requirement for my current selling items on eBay, being primarily Mass Market paperback sales. I only use that format because it is the most economical way to list. (short of committing to a store)

While the jury is still out as to how this will impact sales, beyond a hypothetical projection...I am optimistic for my particular selling niche of book buyers who are READERS, as opposed to collectors. Being a book lover who enjoys sharing her "preowned" finds with a customer base of fellow readers, with front door delivery service, I am excited about the possibilities of offering a BETTER alternative to Amazon.

LDC
Thats all fine for the book seller but what about those who now are not allowed to accept checks or money orders, how can ebay do this, that is a violation of sellers rights. I think ebay will lose alot of customers and revenue from doing this and amazon will continue to see an increase in new sales of new and used items from new sellers. And the DSR issue is just crazy, I've seen power sellers who have many negative feedbacks but continue to get discounts for sales when the average joe-has 100% feedback and low DSr, doesn't make sense.
quote:
I sell glassware and collectibles, there is no place on Amazon for me.

For your selling category, it would seem that eBay is still your best venue. For people seeking these items, eBay is where they look.
You are not competing with a bunch of mega seller retailers. How are you being harmed by these changes? Nothing has changed with the auction format.

While I do not believe the "no paper money" mandate is beneficial to buyers or sellers, it doesn't sound like there is much we can do about it. In my opinion, its a bit arrogant for eBay, (or us) to tell a buyer that they must obtain a prepaid debit card, instead of an easy to obtain money order, to pay for their goods. But I didn't get a policy vote. I don't get many buyers who pay by money order, but I sure don't like the idea of alienating those few who prefer this method of payment.

As far as I know though...there are few options for paper payments on most internet selling platforms. Electronic money transfers are just more efficient for accounting people.

LDC
I just bought a domain name because I don't want to be at the mercy of ebay, which is currently my only location.

I agree with you that ebay has a huge advantage in being able to offer a combined shipping discount. I shop in volume too, and I offer cheap add-on shipping--under a dollar. But my cost to send the first book is not cheap because I use new materials--if you're doing volume, you get to a point where it's no longer practical to cut up grocery bags.

My biggest complaint is the new flat rate book pricing--which is posted, contrary to what the article says. First, the maximum of $4 is less than my cost--and I sell normal books. Rare books that need special handling and heavy books have to be listed with a shipping calculator. Second, it's not well thought out. 50 paperbacks have the same shipping maximum as 50 hardcovers. Hello?
So you want to list on other auction sites! good luck! No one ever buys from them and their search engines and categories are the pits!
There are no other online auctions that are very useable and eBay knows it, they rule, period. Wouldn't it be nice if Auctiva made it's own auction site and took all it's members with them? So the law suit would take about 20 years to complete but by then who would remember ebay?
eBay is just 'gosh darn' greedy and not seller friendly! All the new rules are like reading your car insurance policy. If they would spend more time fixing their old tech problems like not being able to use automatic shipping discounts in Motors etc. instead of creating new ones would be a miracle.
I am leaving my email address listed on my auctions for all those credit criminal that have to use money orders. There is a work around for everything.
Sue B.
quote:
Originally posted by lady of leather:
So you want to list on other auction sites! good luck! No one ever buys from them and their search engines and categories are the pits!
There are no other online auctions that are very useable and eBay knows it, they rule, period. Wouldn't it be nice if Auctiva made it's own auction site and took all it's members with them? So the law suit would take about 20 years to complete but by then who would remember ebay?
eBay is just 'gosh darn' greedy and not seller friendly! All the new rules are like reading your car insurance policy. If they would spend more time fixing their old tech problems like not being able to use automatic shipping discounts in Motors etc. instead of creating new ones would be a miracle.
I am leaving my email address listed on my auctions for all those credit criminal that have to use money orders. There is a work around for everything.
Sue B.

I agree Ebay is the best by far from any other auction site, and I agree that Auctiva should start their own. Ebay's greed is what will move auctioneers from ebay, the percent they reap from our sales plus the additional cost through paypal. Your idea about the emails I've already done to prepare for the next upcoming months and im searching COD's through other places like fed ex, and UPS. thanks for posting your comments! Well said.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.