Skip to main content

Personally, I think that it's annoying when any kind of noise comes from an auction. But against my better judgment, I decided to test using voice in my auction descriptions about a month ago.

Much to my surprise, my sell-through rates and bids have actually increased since adding voice descriptions. I tested several auctions (using voice on some but not others), and the voice auctions always ended with equivalent or higher prices.

I also tested having the audio description auto-play versus allowing the customer to manually click the play button, and oddly enough auto-play was the clear winner. From a buyer's perspective, I think I would appreciate the audio description more if I were to manually press the play button.

While I don't prefer the auto-play voice description, it does seem to be catching the attention of bidders. But because of my personal preference, I am leaning toward making the audio recording optional.

I probably wouldn't have given voice auctions a chance if the service didn't have a $1 trial. Now, I'm pretty sure that I will always use voice (in some way) in my listings.

Let me know what you think about this. I look forward to your suggestions, comments, tips.

Tyler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I normally have my own set of tunes going on. And when an auction comes on "speaking" to me, I bout jump outta my skin.

I.E., I hit the back button on my browser REAL fast. Auto-play? I've never hit it.

If you could link an auction here, I'll see and give an honest critique.

Besides who'd wanna hear an ole southern twangy voice when they hit my auctions anyway...
<big smile>

Seriously? Your sell through is better? I wonder if I did a test auction what in the world I'd say.

I'll be awaiting the link.

Take care, Donna
Hi Donna,

Here's a link to one of our current auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7568425790

Please let me know what you do/don't like about the audio. I just started doing this and I'm looking to make some improvements.

Much to my surprise, the auto-play has performed better than the click-to-play audio descriptions. However, because of my own personal preference, I think I'll start making the audio click-to-play.

If anyone's interested in using audio in their auctions or on their website, here's the link to begin a 3 week trial for only $1:

Sellers Voice

Thanks,
Tyler
TopPix Collectibles
Last edited by toppix
I have come to believe in a minimal template. Simplicity rules. Crisp, clear and bigger sized pictures beginning above the description that stay above it or run down through the listing.

People are visual creatures. They read the title out of a huge sea of titles and then they click onto the link to SEE THE PRODUCT. Not fancy templates, text or anything else. They click on the link to view the product.

I now have a very minimilist template where pictures are the star, my policies are in a pop up window (that links to a custom page in my store) and my Auctiva Showcase is at the bottom of the listing. My listings are short and to the point.
Just my 2 cents.
quote:
Originally posted by toppix:
Hi Donna,

Here's a link to one of our current auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7556934206

Please let me know what you do/don't like about the audio. I just started doing this and I'm looking to make some improvements.

Much to my surprise, the auto-play has performed better than the click-to-play audio descriptions. However, because of my own personal preference, I think I'll start making the audio click-to-play.

If anyone's interested in using audio in their auctions or on their website, here's the link to start a $1 trial:

http://members.sellersvoice.com/specialinfo.asp?x=261024

Thanks,
Tyler

Actually, I like it. No offense but the very first word, "hello" is too high pitched and turned me off but after that, I like it.

Might be good for promoting sales, shipping specials and this sort of thing.

Magie begins to think....
$29 per month is crazy.

I'm Googling it and I'm not sure but I think all you need is to create a sound file, store it on a server and then code it into your html / listing. Once done, it would be free or whatever you pay for your server space.

Something to look into and educate oneself about.

Here is a link, and I'm looking at more. This is a music file but they have them for voice as well.

Adding background sound

Check this place out. Professionals record it for you.

Qvox Voiceworks
Last edited by magienoire
Hi Magie,

$29/month is a lot, but it's worth it to me because I have seen my profits increase much more than that.

Also, I have received enough referrals just from users clicking on the link on my auctions that the service is now free for me.

I also agree about "Hello" being too high pitched. Do you think the pace of the message is too fast? I think I'm going to make another recording with my voice later on; I speak quite a bit slower and hopefully my voice isn't too high-pitched Smile.

Thanks for your help!

QVox "sounds" (pun intended) like it might be a good idea. However, I tried playing a sample and it wouldn't open. Also, could you find any info on price for this service?
Back in the day I went to broadcasting school. That's why, I mentioned it. I hope you don't mind. Here are a few tips. They might sound silly but they really do work.

1) Smile when you do your recording.

2) Give a rhythm to your voice / script without becoming sing songy.

3) Punch keywords. Example, sound excited, joyful, energized but without going overboard. The tone of your voice remains smooth and consistent but you punch keywords or phrases.

You're right, slow down just a touch. Otherwise, I thought you sounded pretty good.
quote:
Originally posted by toppix:
Hi Magie,

$29/month is a lot, but it's worth it to me because I have seen my profits increase much more than that.

Also, I have received enough referrals just from users clicking on the link on my auctions that the service is now free for me.

I also agree about "Hello" being too high pitched. Do you think the pace of the message is too fast? I think I'm going to make another recording with my voice later on; I speak quite a bit slower and hopefully my voice isn't too high-pitched Smile.

Thanks for your help!

QVox "sounds" (pun intended) like it might be a good idea. However, I tried playing a sample and it wouldn't open. Also, could you find any info on price for this service?

I think you have to contact them. Still, listening to other recordings, you can tell they're trained in broadcasting techniques. Newscasters and the like, learn how to speak the way they do. It takes a lot of practice. Lol, like reading the newspaper over and over and over again aloud in the rhythm they teach you to use. Anyway, I have no idea of their pricing. If you plan on using this for the life of your business $29 x 12 = $348 per year. If you can get endless referals then it doesn't matter. However, they're using a file you can learn to create and store yourself for free. Or have someone create it using their voice and then you store it at your cost. All you would need is server space to put it on and there are even free places for this.

It would require more effort and work on your part but once done, in the end it will save you money over time.

These are my feelings on it.
UPDATE:

For all that are interested, I was finally able to check my eBay Sales Reports to see exactly how much of an impact the addition of voice has made on my auction-style listings.

In the past month, my sell-through rate has gone up 18% (from 50% to 68%) and my average bids/item increased by 54%. I won't have my figures for Repeat Buyer % until next week, but I'm certain that percentage is on the rise also.

My sell-through rates and average bids/item were very stable before, so I'm convinced that it is the audio descriptions that have made the difference. I checked my Sales Reports archives and neither my sell-through rate nor my average bids/item has ever been higher.

This is getting pretty exciting and I'm anxious to see what my sales will be like this holiday season.

If anyone else is interested in using Sellers Voice, click the link below and get a 3-week trial for only $1.

Sellers Voice

Thanks!
Tyler
Last edited by toppix
Hi,

There is no reason to pay for this service. You can simply record your voice and insert the html into your listing. You can have it autostart, loop, etc. The newest thing is the voice recording and the animated character talking at you. I personally think the animated character is creepy. I have used the voice recording, but I know it is very annoying to me to go to a site and hear it. I think I will be allowing people to play the voice when they want to and not autostarting it.
Even though the auto-start audio has been working well for me, I'm going to be reverting to click-to-play recordings (because that is what I would prefer) on all of my auctions. I don't like the animated characters either... pretty spooky.

The main reason that I don't just record my voice and use HTML is because it slows loading time quite a bit (especially for dial-up connections). The service I use has Flash, so I don't have to worry about that. Also, the recordings take up a lot of bandwidth and Sellers Voice will host all of these recordings for me.

Thanks,
Tyler
TopPix Collectibles

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.