Skip to main content

up until now, I've been selling stuff from around the house. I had mentioned in another topic that I was considering opening an ebay store. I've been reading several books on eBay and what to sell, where to get it, etc. so now I'm really confused.

one book says "think outside the box, don't sell what YOU love because there are a million other people selling that too" the next book says " follow your passion! sell what you love".
Then one book says "don't buy from wholesellers, you just become a middleman then.". Then the next book tells you to do exactly that...buy from real wholesalers. Next book mentions the "worldwidebrands" site. and so on and so forth. Now I'm in such a conundrum, I don't know WHAT to do!! LOL
please advise!
stace
hello! I'm a newbie!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Actually, the best advice that I have ever recieved in respects to that is to know what you sell or sell what you know.

It doesn't matter if there are lots of other sellers out there with the same item. It all comes down to customer service and marketing.

If you know your product well and can stand behind it 100%, then there should be no problems.
no matter what it is you decide to sell - it's all about making money!

BUY LOW - SELL HIGH

It don't matter what it is, where you get it - that rule applies!

I will sell anything if I know for sure I can sell it fast and for at least $10 more then I paid - that's about $8 after all fees.

REMEMBER you got to love what you do - which is why some say sell what you like or have a passion for - I don't, heck I knew nothing about what I sell before I started.
always remember, you make your money when you BUY your item. In other words, if you cant buy it cheap enough, youre not going to make any $.

and remember to consider all expenses involved in selling the item. cost to get it (gas, shipping to you, etc), ebay fees, paypal fees, packaging expenses, postage, time and labor for photographing, listing, packaging, etc.

i agree with sell what you know (or at least be a very smart and fast learner about new product). If you dont know the product, you wont know if youre getting a good price when you buy, wont know if youre getting ripped off or not, etc.

For example - I wont buy gemstones from companies I'm not familiar with because I dont know gemstones well enough to spot a fake with naked eye. Silver I can tell at a glance if plated, etc. Turquoise i can tell at a glance if real or fake. Same with mother-of-pearl, coral, and several other semi-precious stones. but several gemstones (sapphire, topaz, ruby, etc) I dont know well enough to spot the fake with naked eye.

On an aside, regarding the stones I can spot, i've seen several fakes being sold as real on ebay, dunno if the sellers were intentionally doing it, just didnt know and assumed was real, or if they got ripped off and didnt know it. and such things arent limited to just ebay; i've spotted fake stones being sold as real at major retailers including wal-mart!

Dooney Burke purses, i can usually immediately spot the fake (thanks to training by a friend of mine). Whiting & Davis I can spot the fake bag. But I wouldnt attempt to buy other designer bags cause dont know them well enough.

wholesalers - some are real wholesalers, many just claim to be wholesalers. easiest way to sort out is to compare price they offer on items to prices items sell for online.

couple of other tips - check ebay to see which markets are flooded with product. jewelry is overloaded so hard to sell and hard to get good price. same with several other categories. look around you for sources for product. in most cities there's several manufacturers of stuff right at your back door and several places to get stuff on the cheap. Sometimes that's salvation army, sometimes that's yard sales, sometimes it's dumpsters! Smile ALWAYS think outside the box.

and sometimes you can even find bargains on ebay that you can turn right around and sell for a profit Wink (tip: buy with one id and sell with different selling id.)
Last edited by wayoutwest
Great advise from the others!

I've been selling for close to 4 years now and I'm still trying to find that certain something that is works for me!

If you did well with stuff from around your house and you enjoyed it then maybe garage and estate sales might be good for you.

Something I have always wanted to try but just haven't been able to manage it with 2 small children, plus the fact I have no clue what I'm looking for.

I do know the times that I have sold stuff for my Mom it did well. Seems like "used" sells better then new unless you ahve something in demand and can get it at a really low price.

Best of luck to you, its a never ending journey but a fun one Wink
so how do you know if a wholesaler is a true wholesaler?? LOL I mean, if they say they are a wholesaler, and they ask for resale number...how much more "wholesaler" is that? haha
Thanks for all the help! I'm determined to get there sooner or later..I'll hopefully find the right product.

another question!
all the books talk about finding a "niche" yet in the same breath, they talk about selling just whatever can be found cheaply that thely think will sell. So once again I'm confused because I dont want to change my products with every passing fad that comes by. LOL
YIkes!! LOL
quote:
Originally posted by StaceyW:
so how do you know if a wholesaler is a true wholesaler?? LOL I mean, if they say they are a wholesaler, and they ask for resale number...how much more "wholesaler" is that? haha
Well, that's a clue that theyre a wholesale Smile Believe it or not, i've seen many a 'wholesaler' that doesnt require a resale number (and thus theyre just pretending to be a wholesaler)

still, though, different wholesalers will charge wildly different prices for the same product. For example, there's a company i buy from that sells a particular ring for $5.60. I've seen the exact same ring, made by the exact same artist, at various wholesalers for as much as $22 !

Even something as simple as computer software, back when i used to sell that, i tried various wholesalers and some would be cheaper than others.

Also, watch out for buying in bulk from places that sell overstocks, returns, etc. Many a person has gotten burned buying that stuff. Dont get me wrong, there's some good buys out there in overstocks and closeouts, but since often it's been cherry picked, the good stuff is picked out, often it has damaged returns and damaged display units, etc.

As for niche vs. a little of everything. both work. my suggestion is a niche but be open to carrying other stuff when you find a great buy. But everyone has their own method to the madness Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wahm922:
Great advise from the others!

I've been selling for close to 4 years now and I'm still trying to find that certain something that is works for me!

If you did well with stuff from around your house and you enjoyed it then maybe garage and estate sales might be good for you.

Something I have always wanted to try but just haven't been able to manage it with 2 small children, plus the fact I have no clue what I'm looking for.

I do know the times that I have sold stuff for my Mom it did well. Seems like "used" sells better then new unless you ahve something in demand and can get it at a really low price.

Best of luck to you, its a never ending journey but a fun one Wink

Wahm is talking about selling collectibles in the above post. This is what I do and the profits can be huge compaired to what you pay out...But the work is much more involved than just selling the same items over and over because with collectibles, its always changing and it takes time to get to know what the goodies are when you see them and when to hold them and when to sell them. Here is a perfect example, I have exactly $2.30 invested in this item. Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8831...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I only do this part time Maybe 8 to 12 hours a week in actual time spent working on collectibles. Im not ever gonna get rich selling collectibles...I dont know anyone that ever has except the extremely lucky ones that find that needle in the haystack.

Like a rare painting by some dead artist you never even heard of before worth $750,000 or something like that...they are out there too but I probably wouldnt know one if I saw it...I would just have to get one by dumb luck, like most people that find these things..lol.

But selling collectibles is super duper fun and hunting for the treasures among the junk is what makes it fun. I tell ya there's no better feeling in the world then when you see something you know will sell for 100 bucks and its marked for $2.00 at a yardsale or dealers stand. I have a few tips and tricks for buying and selling collectibles on MY BLOG...the link is at the bottom. Selling collectibles is a good part time income..but to do it full time would take most of your time and energy.
wayoutwest,
good! I'm glad to know that if they ask for a resale number then I'm atleast on the right path. The only items I've purchased were from someone who said they were "wholesale" and asked for resale number and then I had to purchase a minimum. Thing is, my resale number is pending right now. but they let me order anyway. is this a no-no?? Smile
quote:
quote:

LOL... well at least it is something old and collectible...You wouldnt believe the stuff people pay a bunch for..that I wouldnt give you 10 cents for...its absolutely amazing...but people collect things...I guess Im no different...Ive been collecting miniature alcoholic beverage bottles for years and have an extensive collection. I just love em! And I dont even drink..lol

WOW! That is amazing! I'm always shocked that people would buy a 50 year old board game (even more shocked that all the pcs are there!). That is great!
quote:
so how do you know if a wholesaler is a true wholesaler??

Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I've been doing this for under a year.

I chose to sell what I love. My main motivation: I can sell it to myself for super cheap. Smile

Seriously, it's a good idea to sell what you love and know. Your passion for the merchandise will come through to the customers. You will be knowledgable, you will have a handle on what is in demand, you will be able to answer questions about the products, you will be more equipped to set a reasonable price for the merchadise.

As far as finding a distributor... When I decided what I wanted to sell, I went to the two main manufacturers of the particular line of product. They both have websites with information about opening an account. I applied for a retail account, I had to provide them with my license number as well as proof that I was a retailer. So I buy straight from the manufacturer, and I know that I am getting new merchandise at the best price.
I see. I think my main problem has been actually trying to determine WHERE the manufacturer of certain products are. For example...Vera Bradley. I know that you are supposed to only be able to buy Vera Bradley products thru retail brick and mortar stores, and that Vera Bradly only sells to same stores.. BUT there are people on ebay who have whole Ebay Stores filled with new vera bradley products. SO, they must be getting them somewhere. and I don't think they are fakes because I have a lot of Vera myself and generally can spot something that is not authentic.

I'm sorry if I keep rambling...I guess I just have a lot to learn! See Vera is a passion of mine! but I can't get my hands on any! lol
I once seen this clock. I loved it! I found out the manufacturer and looked at their website. I registered with them and I emailed them and I said something like - I want to know about buying this clock for resale. How many do I have to buy and want quantity to get price breaks.
When they replied to me the quantity was like 1000 or something - far more then I wanted and the price was more then I wanted to pay.
I replied and asked if they can give me a phone number and or email of a distrubutor in my area. The replied with an email address.

The distributor had much lower quantities available and much to my surprise MUCH LOWER prices for smaller quantity.
From the distributor I could have purchase as few as 6 of this clock and the prices was like $3 cheaper then the per item piece on purchasing 1000 of them direct from the manufacturer.

So I learned - ALWAYS ask and do your research - sure it cost you a little time, but could make you much higher profits!
quote:
I know that you are supposed to only be able to buy Vera Bradley products thru retail brick and mortar stores, and that Vera Bradly only sells to same stores.. BUT there are people on ebay who have whole Ebay Stores filled with new vera bradley products.

It could be that they once owned or still do a brick and mortar store.

I know a guy that sells FITZ & FLOYD items. They require a brick and mortar store. He USED TO have one but no longer does. HE is one of their lastest sellers and of course they didn't want to lose him so they continue to sell to him.

You will find many manufacturers that won't sell to you without having a b&m BUT you might be able to find one of their distuributors that will sell to you.
Besides our regular internet website businesses, my wife and I sell stuff at a very big local fleamarket and we each have very large booths in 2 separate minimalls. We rent 4 tables at the flea market and bring 2 van loads. We keep 3 mini warehouses besides all the available space around the house and garage. We find our stuff at thrift stores, cheaper collectables stores, at other minimalls when they have sales and items can be 40 and 50% off prices. Recently I found a rare wedgewood small bowl on base, typical blue. Sitting right on the shelf in front of my face. $1.00. I put it in my shop for 45.00, sold within 5 days. I also found a pitcher. Stoneware, paid $3 for it on the basis of the dark shiny colors in the glaze. Got it home and saw it had a stamp at the top DL. Sold it for $25 right away. Stuff is sitting around everywhere for cheap prices. Just start looking on sat, sun. afternoons and you too will have building full of stuff. Happy hunting
Stacey, my advice to you is to sell what you love!

I have been selling on Ebay for three years now. I don't make a ton of money, but my little business has grown, and I am quite happy with this hobby.

Originally, I was just selling stuff from around the house and my "finds" from Goodwill, garage sales, etc. Then one day I was looking at a little miniature resin basket I had received as a gift a few years back. Have always loved that little basket, and never saw one in a store, even tho' I have looked all over the place. So I looked the company up on the internet. Found out I had to have a sales license and be a wholesaler, blah blah blah. But you know what? It was worth it to me - I just knew these little baskets would sell on Ebay. So I went through the whole legal process and became a wholesaler.

Now I have a nice little selection, an inventory, and a great following of some really nice ladies who are repeat buyers, as well as many, many one time buyers.

And it's working. I still sell some of my finds from garage sales and Goodwill, but my baskets are the bulk of my business.

The only problem is those Ebay and Paypal fees. Auctiva has been so helpful, and I just started listing on Bidville this week. We'll see how that goes . . .

Good luck to you!!
I'm starting to agree Maggie. If I don't sell what I love, then the passion isn't there. I mean, I'm not one of those people who can make a 2 cent item look appealing by adding somekind of gizmo to it and selling it for $10! LOL and all those fees are pretty annoying but It's just part of it , I guess. What is Bidville? I guess I need to check that out too.

Once again, thanks for your help! I appreciate everyone's input!
I'm stuck in the same boat... do not know what to sell... was initially interested in selling lingerie, shoes etc. but looking at the auctions ending on Ebay im discouraged because i would say 95% of them end in no bids... then was considering selling items in the Mature audience section which seems to get alot of bids but there is no community for that section so that i can ask questions from other sellers for tips etc. ... since sex sells that is why I am considering these items... I have no problem finding wholesalers for such items... but have no clue what to do even after reading several books on ebay... much like Stacy each book says do this or don't do that but then you read another book and it says the opposite .... just alot of confusing information...
I bought some really pretty stuff yesterday for 70% off retail. it is actually some licensed stuff. so I was wondering...is 70% off considered a good price to pay for something to sell on ebay? I figure if I can sell it for less than retail, then I've made a little money off of it. I keep hearing this phrase "pennies on the dollar" and I don't know exactly what that means. LOL

Once again Thanks for the advice!
quote:
I honestly don't see how anyone makes any money on ebay ...LOL
well, that's just it; many folks arent making any money and simply dont realize it. and many are losing money and dont realize it.

If you can buy it cheap enough you can sell it and make money. but many folks think buying for $20 and selling for $29 is making them $, when it's not.

two of my main competitors on ebay are doing just that. buying for $20 and selling for $29. Since I refuse to sell that cheap, my sales are very slow and my main product line is probably going to become a sideline, as far as ebay is concerned. Will still be main line on other venues, though. I've been hoping to stand out because of my customer service and better return policy (I allow 30 days and do full refund, competitors do 7 days and charge restocking fee and dont refund shipping), but so far it's hasnt happened. The true test will be this fall when retail sales pick up.

oh, regarding pennies on the dollar - If, for example, you can get it for 90% off retail, then youre paying 10-cents on the dollar. Different people will say different things as to just how much 'pennies on the dollar' is. Some would say that 10-cents on the dollar is pennies on the dollar, others would say, no, pennies on the dollar is even less than that. But simply put, if you can get it cheap enough then youre getting a great deal and can make some good $.
Last edited by wayoutwest
quote:
I honestly don't see how anyone makes any money on ebay ...LOL

Stacey, you are coming into eBay at a slow time for sales. Spend this time learning the ropes and getting comfortable with the processes of selling and shipping. In a couple months, you will see your sales pick up.

As far as how anyone makes money on eBay, it's not a get-rich-quick venue. It takes a while to find your market and figure out what kind of items are profitable. Just be patient and you will figure it out. Smile
well...I guess I'm too imkpatient!! haha!! Razz
sorry if I sound so. I just don't want to fall into so scam where the only people actually making money are the ones telling me how to make money. LOL

so basically "cents on the dollar" just means about 10 cents or less. Wow. I never see stuff like that that anyone would want.

so, when you see something you think you can sell. do you do research before you buy it? what if you are far from home when you see it? would you pass it up if you couldn't research first?
quote:
so basically "cents on the dollar" just means about 10 cents or less. Wow. I never see stuff like that that anyone would want.
yes and no. can be 20-cents or so also. it's really subjective. But, like my grandfather used to say, "you make your money when you buy" in other words, you can sell most anything for a profit if you can buy it cheap enough, but if you pay too much, you're screwed.

quote:
so, when you see something you think you can sell. do you do research before you buy it? what if you are far from home when you see it? would you pass it up if you couldn't research first?
sometimes yes, sometimes you just gotta go with your gut and hope for the best. Kinda like gambling *laf* I've gotten some great deals by going with my gut and I've gotten screwed a few times. Another reason, though, to try to go with what you know, or at least can reasonably predict.

But, at the same time, I know a person that has a good eye and has gotten several bargains that she's turned around and sold for a pretty penny. One example, a wood dish that she bought for something like $1. I forget the exact selling price but seems like was around $200 or so. Another time she saw antique guitar that she paid something like $50 or $60 for, sold it for something like $2,000. She had no clue what she was looking at, at first, then got home, looked it up, ran back and snatched it.
When I buy from retail stores to resale it - I usually don't bother unless I am getting 85% or more off. Just not worth it. Sometimes 90% off isn't worth it!

I did buy formal dresses at 90% off retail - worth every penny!

So itdepends on the items. If I am not 100% it's worth it, I call home and have someone check OR I come home search it out and RUN LIKE HELL back to the store if it's worth it!

TO me, If I can't sell it for AT LEAST $10 more then I paid, I don't bother. $10 more usually is about $7-8 in profit per item. ANd since I usually get mulitples of the same item = less work to list them, $7-8 per item is well worth my time.
quote:
Originally posted by wayoutwest:
dunno where theyre getting it, but some possible places are:

from a store that had a closeout sale
from a relative that runs a store
grey market (items intended for export and diverted back to U.S. market -- also includes items made overseas and not intended for import)
black market (stolen)

it is frustrating (and evious) to see all these people selling such a hot item so naturally I would like to also be able to do it. anyway.... do you, by any chance, have an 800 phone number for auctiva - I am getting started and have lots of questions. thanks
vera bradley - left out one other possible - fakes. for every brand name, there's tons of makers of fakes. And while illegal to sell, many do (until they get caught and get their inventory confiscated, sued, arrested, kicked off ebay for life, etc)

phone number for auctiva - I dont have a customer support number, sorry. But, most any question, one of the regulars here can answer. If youre needing step x step how to use, there's classes, guides, etc. But feel free to post your questions on the forums and someone (possibly even the CEO of auctiva - he, along with many of the auctiva staff, reads and posts on the forums) will answer.

Add Reply

Copyright © 1999-2018 Auctiva.com. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.